Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Twisted Houzings actually recommends staying away from the Depot lights as the insides are cheap plastics, these do look nice and price is good if the projectors are decent.
We need some pics and reviews already...
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by HR.R-CING
There are just some things you do not change on a car IMO, when the option is a, "meh." People don't dig "meh." Of course, it is "your" car, so "who cares," right?! Seriously.

Why not get these and then just black out the tail lights?
-congrats, "to me" you're one step closer to a nice riced out bummble bee that thinks he/she is fast or a thug car. It draws attention. Unwanted attention imo. And some people, like me, think it looks horrendous and looks stupid and silly. A waste of money, to me.

ALL people turn their heads to look at clean Z's and of course haul *** past us "to prove a point" because, STOCK, they are a piece of art. Z's get hate because of what they are. They look good from the factory and are pretty quick stock/HR.. That's what draws certain buyers to these certain cars. (not just Z's, porche, ferrari, lexus, bmw etc.)

You change something like this, and imho, it's for the worse.

I mean, yeah, it's "cool," "rad," "something different," but let me get that $280 + shipping that person just spent on something else and let me save it/bank it, buy some bushings, put it towards some nice race compound tires etc.

The JDM integra R one piece headlight were rare, that came with a blackedout headlight/s. The only one I have ever thought that truly pulls it off is that R.

My point, it's "rice and honda-like" even if it is unique. It just doesn't appeal to me. Makes the car look, just sloppy.

For me, I dont want people noticing and turning their heads at blacked out headlights and tail lights, body kits, fender flares, cheap wheels with spacers etc., but instead, they see a clean *** Z lowered on WORKS and hear a roar from a gutted *** all-motor car, that they usually just see completely stock.

To each his own. In no way am I hating on the lights, the emoji is just an expression of dislike/would not buy.

Clean HR lights look amazing. Wet sand them if need be. If anything, change the little bulb on day running lights to something nice and bright that catches attention.

Just my guys/girls!

No Hate! It's all personal opinion. Maybe i've always just been in the game to go faster, not look "better/sloppy."
In some points I agree, I for one love the lights stock (the only thing I don't care for is the bulb cover) but some modded ones do look cool. That being said I'm a purist in a way and would never tear apart a set of OEM lights to mod them, I also have JDM tail lights so the chrome headlights match the tail lights much better. The only thing I do not agree with is the body kits, some can look nice (Nismo for example) and not look tacky, only have one set of rules for body mods:
1. no add-ons unless molded into the stock bumpers, but one piece design is preferred.
2. no kits that severely change the beautiful lines of the 350Z.
3. no shopping cart wings.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 08-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

There are just some things you do not change on a car IMO, when the option is a, "meh." People don't dig "meh." Of course, it is "your" car, so "who cares," right?! Seriously.

Why not get these and then just black out the tail lights?
-congrats, "to me" you're one step closer to a nice riced out bummble bee that thinks he/she is fast or a thug car. It draws attention. Unwanted attention imo. And some people, like me, think it looks horrendous and looks stupid and silly. A waste of money, to me.

ALL people turn their heads to look at clean Z's and of course haul *** past us "to prove a point" because, STOCK, they are a piece of art. Z's get hate because of what they are. They look good from the factory and are pretty quick stock/HR.. That's what draws certain buyers to these certain cars. (not just Z's, porche, ferrari, lexus, bmw etc.)

You change something like this, and imho, it's for the worse.

I mean, yeah, it's "cool," "rad," "something different," but let me get that $280 + shipping that person just spent on something else and let me save it/bank it, buy some bushings, put it towards some nice race compound tires etc.

The JDM integra R one piece headlight were rare, that came with a blackedout headlight/s. The only one I have ever thought that truly pulls it off is that R.

My point, it's "rice and honda-like" even if it is unique. It just doesn't appeal to me. Makes the car look, just sloppy.

For me, I dont want people noticing and turning their heads at blacked out headlights and tail lights, body kits, fender flares, cheap wheels with spacers etc., but instead, they see a clean *** Z lowered on WORKS and hear a roar from a gutted *** all-motor car, that they usually just see completely stock.

To each his own. In no way am I hating on the lights, the emoji is just an expression of dislike/would not buy.

Clean HR lights look amazing. Wet sand them if need be. If anything, change the little bulb on day running lights to something nice and bright that catches attention.

Just my guys/girls!

No Hate! It's all personal opinion. Maybe i've always just been in the game to go faster, not look "better/sloppy."
^QFT!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
In some points I agree, I for one love the lights stock (the only thing I don't care for is the bulb cover) but some modded ones do look cool. That being said I'm a purist in a way and would never tear apart a set of OEM lights to mod them, I also have JDM tail lights so the chrome headlights match the tail lights much better. The only thing I do not agree with is the body kits, some can look nice (Nismo for example) and not look tacky, only have one set of rules for body mods:
1. no add-ons unless molded into the stock bumpers, but one piece design is preferred.
2. no kits that severely change the beautiful lines of the 350Z.
3. no shopping cart wings.

I stand by my statement on body kits. NOT talking about a front lip. Or rear diffuser. But what I would have changed in my long post is the NISMO aspect of it.

In my long post I definitely should have put in that the "NISMO" AKA, REAL NISSAN **** is definitely nice and legit.

I have no problems what so ever with anything NISMO.

The bumpers etc. are sick. But I would never put them on my car because mine is not a Nismo. I keep my car true to what it is. Just faster.

to each his own.

proceed.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Teha99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand by my statement on body kits. NOT talking about a front lip. Or rear diffuser. But what I would have changed in my long post is the NISMO aspect of it.

In my long post I definitely should have put in that the "NISMO" AKA, REAL NISSAN **** is definitely nice and legit.

I have no problems what so ever with anything NISMO.

The bumpers etc. are sick. But I would never put them on my car because mine is not a Nismo. I keep my car true to what it is. Just faster.

to each his own.

proceed.

See just because its Nismo and genuine nissan doesnt mean its nice. I for one hate the nismo v3 rear bumper that comes on the factory nismo Zs. IMO it is one of the most riciest looking bumpers. Everyone talking about book shelfs but that thing is like a library...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
No, they are not the same. You also will want to make sure they come with the wiring harness on the back of the housing. Your older style harness will work, but with limited functionality. You won't have high beam function, and the actual turn signal bulb socket isn't a snug fit into the newer style housing. Now, this is based off of the OEM setups, not sure about the DEPO ones.

I know because I just went through this when upgrading to the newer housings. Yes, they are plug and play IF the newer housing has its own wiring harness, and your older style headlights are OEM HID.
are the turn signals different size bulbs or just the sockets?

It really wouldn't be that difficult to make your own harness or convert some of your existing components. Going from non-HID you'd be buying an aftermarket HID kit with d2s sockets/bulbs anyways. You can even replace the main headlight-to-car connector with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wire-Connector-Plug-2-sets-8-Pins-Waterproof-Electrical-Car-Motorcycle-HID-/181192694290?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2a2fed1a12&vxp=mtr
it'd be great to know exactly which components are compatible with these lights when going from 03-05 HID or 03-05 non-HID (i imagine if you're just replacing your stock 06-08 lights with these it should be a pretty straightforward harness transplant like in Spyder's tutorial vids).

Last edited by mcubed45; 08-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Decided to lookup the exact socket differences:

03-05 non-HID:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...el=130&make=68

03-05 HID

06-08

Sooo to go from 03-05 HID to the DEPO's you'd just need to replace your 7440A turn signal socket with 3357A/3457A. The rest of the harness should be fine.

Going from 03-05 non-HID you'd basically only be keeping your 168 parking light socket. Just buy an aftermarket D2S HID kit, 3357A/3457A turn signal sockets, and some 8 pin connectors.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Touge Z

the black housing only looks good on certain color cars. and I think the Nismo 350z factory kit is ****ing sexy as ****. you can't pull that **** off without the rear bumper.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teha99
See just because its Nismo and genuine nissan doesnt mean its nice. I for one hate the nismo v3 rear bumper that comes on the factory nismo Zs. IMO it is one of the most riciest looking bumpers. Everyone talking about book shelfs but that thing is like a library...

i definitely see your point, but it's NISMO. The ONLY body kit i'd get, that I wouldn't get.

Just refer to my first long post.. we are on the same page.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM
zoom-Z

Here's some crappy teaser cell phone pics, get some daytime pics and review tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130815_220323.jpg   Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130815_220423.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom-Z
Here's some crappy teaser cell phone pics, get some daytime pics and review tomorrow.
Hmm, Looks decent at night. Looking forward to an ACTUAL review....
Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

before you had them in, how sturdy did they feel compared to the OEM?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Touge Z

let's see how the cutoff is.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 PM
zoom-Z

Well overall I am quite happy with the purchase, but let me go over a few things. The headlights look really good and are spot on replicas, they fit good, plugs and wiring very sturdy, they light up good with a nice cutoff (better than the eagleeyes) and were a welcomed improvement over my 03-05 spidercracked oem headlights.

...now the stuff I didnt like, sealing on the headlights was a bit sloppy there was somethat I guess run off the edges and onto the back that I had to scrape since im a bit OCD, while the harnesses and assembly were sturdy they did feel more plasticy (not a real word). The connecter that hooks up to the bulb needed to be turned sideways or the provided back cover wood not fit...idk if this is just a 03-05 conversion issue though. Lastly while they replicas are spot on the plastic trim around the projector is either thin plastic or not painted with enough layers because at night the light shines through the trim(picture provided)...also this is just my opinion but it may be too much black on a black 350z.

Overall Id say if you are pinching pennies then by all means go for it they are worth the price and definately a better choise than most the other cheesy looking aftermarket headlights. OEM is still king though. Couldnt find my camera so more cellphone pics...lol still daytime so I can throw up a better night time cutoff pic later.
Attached Thumbnails Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130816_175017.jpg   Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130816_180643.jpg   Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130816_174629.jpg   Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130816_174622.jpg   Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130816_174523.jpg  

Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-img_20130816_172143.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Jbakes727

What HID bulb are you using and what kelvin?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM
zoom-Z

Originally Posted by 727FL350z
What HID bulb are you using and what kelvin?
6000k D2S from a local tuner shop idk the brand
Old 08-16-2013, 08:20 PM
shakespug

Which ebay seller dis you buy your's from? Did it come with the rubber cap on the back too?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Jbakes727

Originally Posted by zoom-Z
6000k D2S from a local tuner shop idk the brand
Be nice if you had something more close to 4300k but what did you pay for them?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 PM
worm1998

i love how everything always goes from a simple question and ends up a 20 page thread about brand whoring and rants about replica products. dont forget that the most sincerest form of flattery is imitation. as long as something that is a replica is a quality item i see no reason not to go for it over the exact same thing priced 3 times higher. i have an 05 that has fading and scratching on the headlights and even after a good buff and seal go dull again in 3 weeks. i was looking for 06+ bixenons to replace my factory HIDs and didnt want to spend a G on a new set and didnt want to go used and risk fading again then came across the Depo lights. i was planning on tearing open the headlights and painting the insides black and replacing the lens with the clear STi-R lense anyways so the black didnt bother me. the company that sells these is 10 minutes away in San Gabriel so i was able to go check them out and check out the quality. everything is pretty exact to the Nissan brand and the overall quality is great. they are the housing only with the rear cover and after swapping my factory HIDs are plug and play (minus the blue wire needing cut). i have the correct butyl sealant to put these back together the right way. i will be making the turn signal housing black as well. the common complaint has been the plastic bezel allowing light from the projector to shine through. this is due to the thin layer of paint. i will recoat these and see how it goes and looks. give me a week or two to get this all completed and then i will post pics of everything.

thanks and let the flaming begin
Old 08-17-2013, 12:55 AM
zoom-Z

Originally Posted by shakespug
Which ebay seller dis you buy your's from? Did it come with the rubber cap on the back too?
Idk if forum rules permits me to put up the dudes name, but its the cheapest one lol. If you mean the back cover where the hid bulb goes then yes they are included.

Quick Reply: Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread