Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bra Your 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 AM
roadmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bra Your 350Z?

Post your comments on putting a bra, or vinyl wrap, on your 350Z, yea or nay.

Does your 350Z wear one? Do you like it? Does it prevent chip marks? What brand name is it?

Do you not like a bra on your 350Z? Why not?

Here's my comments: I don't really like the look of a bra on my 350Z Enthusiast Roadster. Don't know why but just prefer no bra. But I will say for the sake of my front bumper and front 30% of my hood, if one had of been on during the original owner's 18K miles, I would not be dealing with the chips in the paint. So now I am considering one after going over it with Dr. ColorChip. This is why I started this thread.

Thanks for any and all comments!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

When I get my front bumper resprayed I will be doing a clear bra on the front bumper and about halfway up the fenders and hood.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Cjw4050

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
When I get my front bumper resprayed I will be doing a clear bra on the front bumper and about halfway up the fenders and hood.
I had this exact set up, one day was pressure washing my z when it ripped through the clear bra, so i pretty much had to take the whole bra set up off around the fenders and hood and everything. Now you can tell there is a slight color variation from where the bra used to be and where it wasn't on the hood.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do anything to protect my paint. So yes.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjw4050
I had this exact set up, one day was pressure washing my z when it ripped through the clear bra, so i pretty much had to take the whole bra set up off around the fenders and hood and everything. Now you can tell there is a slight color variation from where the bra used to be and where it wasn't on the hood.
Sounds like you were using too much pressure Guy that is going to install mine has had his clear bra on his Yukon denali for 4 years now and it has held up amazing and saved his bumper
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

It's a waste... it discolors over time and causes uneven UV color variation on areas that doesn't have the cover.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

A clear bra works best with dark colored cars, as it will show on light colored cars especially as it yellows with age. Old school bras, or front-end masks are great for weekend highway trips (take it off when you return). However, the car must be clean with a good coat of wax and the felt like inside of the bra must also be clean. The normal advice is to take the bra off if it becomes soaked from rain as it will rub and abrade the paint at high speeds.

The Dr ColorChip system works quite well, but it doesn’t seem to last very long as the paint tends to shrink down into chip crater. Also if you have waxed your car recently use a dab of wax remover in the chip. If you can get a small amount of real body shop style remover do so, because it has a bit of adhesion promoter in it. In a pinch several applications of strong ammonia glass cleaner will work.

If you have a good professional auto detailer nearby, fill the chips to overflowing with paint mixed with urethane clear coat (this is the factory clear on the Z). Take the car to the detailer and have him machine polish the area. The new paint in the chip will create some friction in the machine pad and the resulting heat will help the residual thinner (in the new paint) to blend into the existing paint.

The detailer across from my Pilates studio let’s me park in his lot. He hated the look of the chips on my bumper and hood and when he had a free moment he would fill them for me. As my Z was pure black it was an easy color to match. He did the left side of the bumper one day and asked me to go look at the car and see if anything was different. It was amazing; I couldn’t see or feel any trace of the old ugly chips. He feels that this is the best way to repair chips.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:56 PM
roadmax

Post up a link to the clear bra. Ma, how does it curve around the bumper?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
secwind

I use the OEM black vinyl bra for track days, autoX, and roadtrips. Takes 5 min. to put on and take off. Will probably considering getting a hood one too in the future.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM
POS VETT

I have a custom-cut clear bra on my Z, so are my z06 & Solstice. My CTS-V, however, doesn't have one.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

My car is wrapped and the vinyl has prevented rock chips. The vinyl is less prone to chipping but where it does happen, you can see the paint completely intact and undamaged.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:59 AM
roadmax

Thanks for the video, it was very informative. Since I live in central Oklahoma, I contacted a north Texas installer and asked him to stop by on one of his runs to Oklahoma.

Think this should be done when a car is brand new if one can afford it. I have to Dr. PaintChip my chips. Then am going to 3m Scratch Removal Kit the section. Once done think it will be as good as can make it. Hope it is good enough to put clear bra on it.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM
lumper1

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead but I am wanting to do a clear bra and I can figure out who does them.
I see lots of kits and stuff but I would like to know what you guys think, who installs them in Ct and what do you think about the 3m spray on film vs a kit vs having it done professionally?

I am searching and reading through all the posts but i haven't found the specifics I need, on a yahoo search I cant find any installers other than a glass company 30 minutes from my house, I will call them tomorrow to see what they say, that might be the answer for me but in the meantime if anyone has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Lump
Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I wonder about the same questions you are asking.

Road chips are a bummer. Car BRAs prevent this. You even see racers using BRAs.

--Spike
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Mine has a deluxe clear bra option that the dealer offered during the buying day process (had never heard of it before that day)! I said yes to one thing after another, but I lived in No. Utah and the clear bra was a no brainer with all of the Winter sand, salt, grit they put on the freeways; get behind a semi and you get sandblasted. The Z33 is very vulnerable at the front bumper area especially and YES the CB does a fantastic job protecting it from any and all chips, nicks. Have my entire front of car including full hood, headlights, side mirrors; stops at the doors, a few splash areas behind fronts, ahead of rears.

As far as "fading" like some have mentioned, there is zero fading on my '07 and I've never heard of anybody's clear bra causing any fading. My paint under the CB looks brand new and my entire front has not one single chip. Now that I live in a desert area I wouldn't mind removing at least part of the CB on the hood, but would still keep it on the nose! I think mine was 3M, not sure, but it was about a $900 option that of course I had to say yes to the most expensive of 3 CB options!

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-09-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 PM
POS VETT

I have a custom-installed (not from a pre-cut kit) clear bra on my Z (and on my other cars) installed only by Julius Poa. Coverage is partial hood, partial fenders, full side mirrors, full headlights, and full front bumper; edges are wrapped around. Additional areas are ~8"x12" area behind the door handles to fend off nail marks. The material is made by 3M and it can be polished and waxed.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by POS VETT
I have a custom-installed (not from a pre-cut kit) clear bra on my Z (and on my other cars) installed only by Julius Poa. Coverage is partial hood, partial fenders, full side mirrors, full headlights, and full front bumper; edges are wrapped around. Additional areas are ~8"x12" area behind the door handles to fend off nail marks. The material is made by 3M and it can be polished and waxed.
That sounds like a nice job they did on your cars. I always have waxed/polished mine also and just looks like paint to someone who doesn't know.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM
lumper1

Well you gave me an idea, I am thinking the dealer might offer this, I am sure for a premium, but I am going to call tomorrow to find out.
My car is perfect, but doesnt have a clear bra on it, it hasnt been driven in snow or winter weather before or anything and was taken care of well.
I want to keep it that way, a clear bra seems like the way to go for me, I just have to find a place that does them.

I saw the spray on 3m kit if anyone has used one I would love to hear about it and see any pics.

Thanks again for all the info guys.
Lump
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interested in the spray on 3M kit as well.

Quick Reply: Bra Your 350Z?