Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks! Got my fingers crossed.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Caidrac
It's actually a very easy task. If a shop told you it was, they are simply justifying trying to charge you more or justifying a poor color match... I'm an auto painter by trade... Not a hard color.
I'm not a car painter, but as a layperson I would imagine a tri-coat pearl color like SMB would be somewhat difficult to match. No?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:29 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Caidrac
It's actually a very easy task. If a shop told you it was, they are simply justifying trying to charge you more or justifying a poor color match... I'm an auto painter by trade... Not a hard color.
I figured since the color changes so drastically depending on lighting that it can't be as easy as most other colors
Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Caidrac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BW5 is not a three stage color. I can't even think if a three stage factory blue at all. I get why you guys would think it's a hard color, but it's just not the case. More difficult colors would be medium and light greys, light blues, midtone reds, and some pearl whites (which are all three stage)...
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I had a bumper painted last year at my local Nissan dealer's body shop, and was talking with the painter about how hard it might be to match the carbon silver on my car. He said it wouldn't be bad, and it did come out perfect. He mentioned there are 3 Z colors that are more difficult, which he said were the 3 pearls - San Marino Blue, Nogaro Red, and Pike's Peak White. So, which knows? Certainly not me, but that's what I had heard.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by dcains
I had a bumper painted last year at my local Nissan dealer's body shop, and was talking with the painter about how hard it might be to match the carbon silver on my car. He said it wouldn't be bad, and it did come out perfect. He mentioned there are 3 Z colors that are more difficult, which he said were the 3 pearls - San Marino Blue, Nogaro Red, and Pike's Peak White. So, which knows? Certainly not me, but that's what I had heard.
I'd imagine interlagos fire is no picnic either.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 PM
BigBlue

Just got back from the shop; they wanted to go over a couple of options for fitment of diffuser and bumper cover. The primed bumper and diffuser were on the car; still needs some work in the bottom corners and a bit of custom stuff. It looks awesome and I can't wait, but now comes a 3 day weekend and the car will sit until next week. Going to be worth the wait as we will see. This Spec A setup with the JDM Amuse wing is for real!

*The shop had a '61 Austin Healy and a '54 chevy truck up on lifts, both are immaculate and easily could be on covers of any custom car mags.

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-03-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM
BigBlue

Just an update: I stopped by shop today, they have all small gaps closed and everything flush, they had done some fiberglass reinforcement in areas behind cover and where cover/diffuser merge, also sanding and touch up filler here and there, will shoot another primer coat and they want it to sit outside all day (104 today), they said that frp material bonded to fiberglass can expand and/or contract differently in very hot conditions, they let it sit out in sun yesterday and gaps got closer. Don't know the details of that, but they showed me how the small gaps were already tweaked and are now tiny.

I'm just letting them do their custom thing, also will have some gloss black diamond mesh behind the small vertical slits on both sides with anything behind it all black. The cruved section in middle top of diffuser that fits over bottom lip of bumper cover is bolted on (5-4 small bolts) and will be smb color; some guys leave it black. Rest of entire diffuser will be gloss black with generous amount of $500 gal. clear as will the whole cover. They said it should be all painted, including side skirts in a couple of days; I hate waiting but they will do an awesome job and it's going to look just fine.

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

You stopped by the shop and took no pics of progress?

What is this, Bangladesh?

Damn you, Blue.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM
BigBlue

^Nope, if they make me wait, then you have to also hehe! It seems like lately I'm always waiting for one thing or another, I feel like Lebron James sitting on the bench chewing his finger nails!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by BigBlue
^Nope, if they make me wait, then you have to also hehe! It seems like lately I'm always waiting for one thing or another, I feel like Lebron James sitting on the bench chewing his finger nails!
If it makes your feel any better, the body shop had my car for over 7 weeks when I dropped it off with my shine v2 kit to be painted and fitted. I got weekly updates over the phone, lots of excuses; painter is on vacation, emergency this, delay that. I drove there around 5 weeks in one day when it was closed and didn't see my car anywhere on the property and was convinced it was stripped down and all my parts were sold on the black market.

7-8 weeks from drop off day they called and said it's ready. I was so anxious and pissed from the wait but the work was excellent so I considered it a win and was happy enough. Turns out the car was stored inside all day everyday which is why I didnt see it outside anywhere.

I went back to them for my hood clear coat and hood pin install and they took much better care of me being a repeat customer and turned my car around in just a couple days.

Anyway that's my short story for the day. Looking forward to seeing how the amuse looks on the SMB.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:22 PM
BigBlue

Thanks Phenom! That sounds like a major wait time for you to deal with, at least they kept your car inside and did a good job on the project. The shop where I go are some cool guys, but they are always very busy. They are fine with me stopping by and looking around but always others coming in and out of the place at the same time. The good thing for me is that I have my car to drive and everything has already been fitted, so when they are ready I'll drop off the car hopefully for only a day or 2 for install.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM
BigBlue

I got the call to bring my car in a couple of hrs. ago; took a few shots while I was there. I'm getting excited to get this stuff installed! The paint guy was doing a wet polish on the bumper cover when I got there, the entire bumper cover has been fiberglass reinforced (behind), everything looked very fine on all of these parts.

Underside of diffuser (there will be a custom access door, is cut out but didn't see the door part. Rear wiper delete plug is painted and will be installed:

Side skirts:

*Old cars like this hanging around the shop every time I go there; Mercury, I'm guessing a '61 or so, it's quite a rare car:

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-22-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM
BigBlue

Got the car back with everything installed. I'm impressed with it all and just snapped a couple of quick shots in my driveway; need to clean it up and get it out in the open for some good pics. Due to lack of space can't see the side skirts very well, the shop did some custom threaded rivet things on them for machine screws to bolt up solid mounts and they look good.

The diffuser looks nice and pretty radical, but the problem I soon found out is that it sits way low; first thing tomorrow I'll take off front wheels and raise the coils ride height. Hopefully that will help; can't really drive it over any speed bumps, dips already. Worse case scenerio is I'd have to remove it, which I don't want to do unless necessary. This setup would be great on a track, but DD, not sure about the diffuser! One thing nice on the diffuser that I had them do is paint the part that curves over bumper cover lip smb instead of leaving it black; looks good; screws are black chrome. The car's entire profile has changed completely (will show pics) and it all ties in together well with the wing, now I see what some guys were talking about.

I'll get some real pics in the next few days to show before/after, etc. *sorry for all of the glare; late aftenoon sun coming in; just wanted to show that the car is back.

a little later, flash made lights appear to be on:

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-31-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:31 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Wowsers!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Yeah I put my Do luck bumper on two days ago. You learn really quick when to go slow. Gonna raise 1/2 inch this weekend.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by RUNWDVL
Yeah I put my Do luck bumper on two days ago. You learn really quick when to go slow. Gonna raise 1/2 inch this weekend.
I will go for 1/2+" raise in middle of diffuser for starters. I scraped once coming out of a parking lot and even turning into my driveway; twice in first mile out of shop isn't a good sign! I was being careful too; don't want to ruin the piece because it looks so sweet! Good luck on your project, I hope we both have some improvement.

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-31-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

love it dude

3/4 front and rear pics or ban!!!

I can't wait to see it with a nice shiny new hood too
(pppsssstt...I'm a couple months out from ordering one as well....shhhhh)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 PM
BigBlue

^Thanks abarclay! Yeah I will get it raised a bit before I dare to even back it out of my car port. Then I want to get it polished up and go to a place where I did some pics earlier this year so that I can do some compare pics.

*You getting that one certain hood hint, hint? That's great news! I must admit I can't wait to get mine installed; IMO I think it's gonna' look "****" on my little blue foreign car!

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-31-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
IMO I think it's gonna' look "****" on my little blue foreign car!
I couldn't have said it better myself

Quick Reply: Spoiler ideas?