Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner in need of assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New owner in need of assistance

I'll leave the OP here, but it's completely irrelevant now. If you'd like to join us in these wonderful conversations just skip to the last page.

OP:
Hello all, been lurking around these forums for awhile.

It's not "new," but I was overseas for a year and this is the first time that I can actually do some work on her.

No longer considering the b2 ED kit, or any dura/ED kits at all, thanks to all here/elsewhere for that advice.

Currently looking at the Vs3 wide kit. I prefer wide kits, I love the look and the aggressive feel they give the z.

my Z is a 2004 automatic.

EDIT - sorry for not including, getting wheels/tires next weekend.
http://unleashedwheels.com/varrstoen-es1.html

Last edited by Unicus; 07-22-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:55 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Ft Belvoir........nice place. I was there in 1968. Are you talking about a complete paint job? If so, the price is not terribly out of line. A complete paint job including the door jambs and underhood will run you at least $5K.

Last edited by KornerCarver; 07-12-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That price sounds right if it's a full paint job. I would not get flat or matte black it will look cheap. I personally love the Daytona blue color even though it's stock it stands out.

I also would stay away from andysautosport many bad reviews from different forums. Also a replica kit will need fabrication to fit to 95%

Also if you have a lit but stock wheels and no drop it will look like ****. Sorry but to be honest I think your money is better spent somewhere else. The color white on the z is great and sparkles. Just get some new wheels, exhaust and keep the rest in the bank.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 07-12-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

+1 on staying away from andys.... i am not a fan of that kit, to me it is FUGLY, if i remember correctly extreme dimensions is a vendor on here... why not go straight to them and cut out the middl man

if you are going to paint it, are you going to do it right and do all the jambs, under the hood, trunk etc or half *** it? my bet is you are going to half *** it.

i agree with old school, you are going to do that kit, keep stock wheels and no drop it is going to look even worse than it already does
Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Unicus

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Ft Belvoir........nice place. I was there in 1968. Are you talking about a complete paint job? If so, the price is not terribly out of line. A complete paint job including the door jambs and underhood will run you at least $5K.
Alright, I may just go for the kit install and have them match the pearl white I have already.

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
That price sounds right if it's a full paint job. I would not get flat or matte black it will look cheap. I personally love the Daytona blue color even though it's stock it stands out.

I also would stay away from andysautosport many bad reviews from different forums. Also a replica kit will need fabrication to fit to 95%

Also if you have a lit but stock wheels and no drop it will look like ****. Sorry but to be honest I think your money is better spent somewhere else. The color white on the z is great and sparkles. Just get some new wheels, exhaust and keep the rest in the bank.
Matte black? With a quality job matte black is one of the cleanest looks if properly maintained IMO.

Originally Posted by travlee9374
+1 on staying away from andys.... i am not a fan of that kit, to me it is FUGLY, if i remember correctly extreme dimensions is a vendor on here... why not go straight to them and cut out the middl man

if you are going to paint it, are you going to do it right and do all the jambs, under the hood, trunk etc or half *** it? my bet is you are going to half *** it.

i agree with old school, you are going to do that kit, keep stock wheels and no drop it is going to look even worse than it already does
Andy's is just a link, that's not where I'm getting it from I don't believe.

As for the wheels, sorry, I typed this quick. They won't be stock. I'm getting Varrstoen es1 19" installed next weekend. I'd never get a kit on stocks, I'm new at it but not that stupid.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM
frocker93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay FAR away from Extreme Dimension kits. You'll probably spend about 4k just to make it fit.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Unicus

Originally Posted by frocker93
Stay FAR away from Extreme Dimension kits. You'll probably spend about 4k just to make it fit.
Any suggestions? I've got my heart set on a wide kit, but I don't think I've got the cash for much else (to get it installed correctly, that is)
Old 07-12-2014, 06:39 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Its true, Extreme Dimensions is not one you want to mess with, I mess up my rear bumper a while back and ordered an extreme dimensions aftermarket one. Well after 3.5 months of waiting, it finally showed up and when i went to put it on the car, it was about 2 inches too wide on BOTH sides, and on top of that, there were no brackets for the license plate assembly or brackets to hold on the back up lights.
I ended up returning that bumper (body shop said it would be about $3k to make it fit, not look good just fit) and had them repair my OEM bumper
Old 07-12-2014, 06:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Unicus
Any suggestions? I've got my heart set on a wide kit, but I don't think I've got the cash for much else (to get it installed correctly, that is)
You seem dead set of destroying a perfectly good car. Just step back, take the F&F DVD out of the player and step into 2014.

First, body kit, most of the 350z community will laugh at you for buying that ugly crap, only a few people who moved over from riced out honda's actually like it. Look elsewhere, or better yet just start off easy with a front lip till you get better taste.

Wheels, your looking at a craptastic setup for a wide body kit. 19x10.5 +0 would be good front fitment , then you really need like a 19x11 or wider with like a -20 offset for the rear. Custom wheels are really needed to pull this off, you seem about $4k shy of buying the proper wheels.

Buy a front lip, buy your Vars wheels , throw an exhaust on it and call it good.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Unicus

Originally Posted by terrasmak
You seem dead set of destroying a perfectly good car. Just step back, take the F&F DVD out of the player and step into 2014.

First, body kit, most of the 350z community will laugh at you for buying that ugly crap, only a few people who moved over from riced out honda's actually like it. Look elsewhere, or better yet just start off easy with a front lip till you get better taste.

Wheels, your looking at a craptastic setup for a wide body kit. 19x10.5 +0 would be good front fitment , then you really need like a 19x11 or wider with like a -20 offset for the rear. Custom wheels are really needed to pull this off, you seem about $4k shy of buying the proper wheels.

Buy a front lip, buy your Vars wheels , throw an exhaust on it and call it good.

I wasn't sure on that kit, I was just seeing around pricing options. It was the only thing widebody that I could see in my price range, but after talking with the guy again I'm probably going to keep the pearl white paint job that's on it.

I know the guys around here are very touchy about vs kits, but I'm looking into the specifics for the veilside v3 wide. I love the look (not 100% sold on the rear bumper though) as well as that I can afford it, and it'll motivate me to keep improving and learning about the car.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I wasn't sure on that kit, I was just seeing around pricing options. It was the only thing widebody that I could see in my price range, but after talking with the guy again I'm probably going to keep the pearl white paint job that's on it.

I know the guys around here are very touchy about vs kits, but I'm looking into the specifics for the veilside v3 wide. I love the look (not 100% sold on the rear bumper though) as well as that I can afford it, and it'll motivate me to keep improving and learning about the car.
I would shy away from Veilside, Veilside look and don't bother with wide body kit. The car is wide and we can already tell this all is well over your head.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Unicus

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I would shy away from Veilside, Veilside look and don't bother with wide body kit. The car is wide and we can already tell this all is well over your head.
You are the exact reason why I didn't want to come to this site. As it was so nicely worded by others that have lurked, you're a "pretentious ****."

I am most likely younger than you, and I've never had the chance to work on cars or be around anything to where I would know the in's and out's of a vehicle. I'm here trying to learn, and I'm looking for help. If you have no other reason not to do something other than because "I'll probably **** it up," then simply stop posting in my thread, I'm sure there are members who are reasonable around here.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You know how many "what should I do?" threads there are on here? Hundreds.

Buying a replica kit is hit or miss and the style you chose is eh. Get a nismo kit, something that looks good on the z. Extreme Dimensions is the worst choice you will make. Bad quality materials and fit. Most people give up at trying to make them fit.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Unicus

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
You know how many "what should I do?" threads there are on here? Hundreds.

Buying a replica kit is hit or miss and the style you chose is eh. Get a nismo kit, something that looks good on the z. Extreme Dimensions is the worst choice you will make. Bad quality materials and fit. Most people give up at trying to make them fit.
I've already decided against it, read the other posts for full description. I hate a lot of the nismo rear bumpers, and I quite like the vs3 wide.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM
travlee
Master

You are the exact reason why I didn't want to come to this site. As it was so nicely worded by others that have lurked, you're a "pretentious ****."

I am most likely younger than you, and I've never had the chance to work on cars or be around anything to where I would know the in's and out's of a vehicle. I'm here trying to learn, and I'm looking for help. If you have no other reason not to do something other than because "I'll probably **** it up," then simply stop posting in my thread, I'm sure there are members who are reasonable around here.
so leave noob.... and we post where we want, that is the nice thing about a PUBLIC forum
Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Unicus

Originally Posted by travlee9374
so leave noob.... and we post where we want, that is the nice thing about a PUBLIC forum
You are a very sad person.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM
travlee
Master

i have been called a lot worse by a lot better
Old 07-13-2014, 12:01 PM
joshua350z6841

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

go with the do luck kit love mine or Ings N-Spec Full Body if not tracking ROCKET BUNNY 350Z just a few ideas to get u going down the right path. just have enough money on the side to fix what ever u **** up. we all make mistakes but how else will u learn.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Unicus

Originally Posted by joshua350z6841
go with the do luck kit love mine or Ings N-Spec Full Body if not tracking ROCKET BUNNY 350Z just a few ideas to get u going down the right path. just have enough money on the side to fix what ever u **** up. we all make mistakes but how else will u learn.
Thanks i'll look at them.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM
travlee
Master

terrasmak is a veteran here, you would be stupid not to listen to him.......

Quick Reply: New owner in need of assistance