Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messed up color match...opinions? Also, Shine lip bad quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 PM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Messed up color match...opinions? Also, Shine lip bad quality?

So I just got back from the bodyshop today with quite some disappointment.

The color match on my silverstone is pretty off. Obviously I wouldn't expect it to be 100% match but I do expect it to be at least 90%. What I got was 75%. The shop sees it too and they recommend me blending with the other panels. I think blending should be for when you want to make the color match from 90% to 100%. Honestly I feel like this should be resprayed free of charge because the color isn't even close and I don't want to be matching a color that is so off. What do you guys think?

Name:  IMG_20140924_162240.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20140924_142825.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  45.5 KB

I don't think it's fair for me to sink more money on this when the shop didn't even come close to color matching.

On tp of this, the rear amuse lip has terrible clear coat overspray. it's bubbling and has alot of thick un-smooth spots. The shop claims that this is the paints reaction to the fiberglass and is nothing they can do about this...I've never heard of this before? Also, the rear lip fitment is pretty bad (nothing to do with the shop). Should I be putting double sides tape along the entire edge of the lip? Shine only provided a small area for tape

Name:  IMG_20140924_133710.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140924_133751.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20140924_133718.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  36.9 KB

Let me know what you guys think and what suggestions you might have for me. I drove the car back home for the night but I think I'll be going back tomorrow asking for a re-spray. I don't want to be a pest but I think this is within reason

Last edited by scmtkings4; 09-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

The paint reaction is bs on the shop, the fitment of the rear does look off but a good shop would/should have fixed it prior to paint. Contact Ken, he'll take care of the fitment. I'd ditch your current body shop.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Unfortunately if you demand a respray there is no guarantee they can get closer to the rest of the car, on top of the fact they would probably cheap out on the job if they are eating the bill. My guy in Yonkers can fix this, he is a little expensive but if you want the job done perfect he can make it happen. Let me know if you want the contact info.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:59 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Paint matching will always be tough for older cars using new panels.... GL either way man
Old 09-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

As far as pictures go I don't think the match looks that bad .

The bubbly clear coat though, what your shop said is pure BS. The clear coat on my shine parts was flawless when I picked them up.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i agree it will not match perfect, but that is bad. is it possible that your paint faded more than you thought?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Bellisima_Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I would give the shop a chance to fix their mistakes before I spent additional money at a different shop. However, you need to make sure that you are fully clear on what your expectations are, address every issue, and tell them that you won't accept the car until its up to your standards no matter how many times they have to redo it. It's their ****up and they need to fix it. I recently had a small portion of my rear quarter panel sanded and repainted due to a deep scratch... I have an 06 and the color match and clear coat turned out perfect. You can't even tell is been painted. Take it back and demand a proper paint job.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:51 AM
Bellisima_Z

Just out of curiosity, what form of payment did you use?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:53 AM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by travlee
i agree it will not match perfect, but that is bad. is it possible that your paint faded more than you thought?
If that's the case the shop should be able to do a multiple stage polish to bring back the color fade, but it doesn't look faded to me it just looks like they sprayed the wrong color. The hood itself still looks shiney and in good shape.

Last edited by Bellisima_Z; 09-25-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:01 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i was just throwing out ideas.... it is possible that they did the wrong color, given there are like 3-4 colors of silver nissan did
Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

It's a little worse than factory. I remember looking at Z on the showroom floor and bumpers did not match.

The fitment, very expensive to have it fitted properly, unless you know how to do it yourself.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM
scmtkings4

^^^how exactly do you fit it yourself?

I thought this piece was just a slip on piece and the 3M tape would just keep the entire length of it flush to the bumper?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by travlee
i was just throwing out ideas.... it is possible that they did the wrong color, given there are like 3-4 colors of silver nissan did

nope, I was with them and gave them color code WV2. Then they took all their color swatches that were similar to WV2 and put them up against my car. Once they selected the color that was closest to my body, they went with that for the paint.

And as for the clear coat bubbling and running, they said its because they used water based painting as opposed to solvent based painting which will sometimes have this effect on fiberglass. But even so I think it could've came out better

I came back from the shop just now and they sed they could blend the hood for me (free of charge) as that is where the biggest difference is. They will not be blending the fenders as they said the color difference isnt too bad there.

Should I just have them blend my hood or ask for a bumper re-spray? Blending will help the transition to the hood but it doesn't change the fact that the bumper will still be a diff color than my doors, roof etc. Its way too blue in my opinion

below are a few more pics

Name:  IMG_20140925_122936.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20140925_123027.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  59.6 KB
Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Phenom
Toasty

I just noticed that you live in brooklyn. Before you spend any more money, just wait for some *** hole to back into your car and crush your bumper while they're parallel parking. You'll have to replace the entire thing at that point anyway. The reason you need to save your money now is because you'll end up with the bill for that repair since your run of the mill new yorker is too much of a ***** to leave his information after wrecking your car.

Last edited by Phenom; 09-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I would not be at all happy with the color match.

My paint guy looks at the plate for color code, not me. Tells me up front it'll need a blend, I say ok. I don't get the swatch idea, looks like it was not a good one. Magnetic Black is easier than silver I'm sure.

It might be my monitor, but that looks at least 2 shades off. Original color is darker, so it's not fade.

Since they're willing to rework it I would politely let them understand mb a better match is possible. Do it over, and blend hood and both fenders.

My .02-GL
Old 09-25-2014, 11:39 AM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by Phenom
I just noticed that you live in brooklyn. Before you spend any more money, just wait for some *** hole to back into your car and crush your bumper while they're parallel parking. You'll have to replace the entire thing at that point anyway. The reason you need to save your money now is because you'll end up with the bill for that repair since your run of the mill new yorker is too much of a ***** to leave his information after wrecking your car.
funny you mention this, after 3 years of people backing up into my fiberglass front, it was way too cracked to keep running which is the reason why I even got a new bumper to begin with. I went with the OEM nismo bumper to hopefully help with the NY parking
Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by jhc
I would not be at all happy with the color match.

My paint guy looks at the plate for color code, not me. Tells me up front it'll need a blend, I say ok. I don't get the swatch idea, looks like it was not a good one. Magnetic Black is easier than silver I'm sure.

It might be my monitor, but that looks at least 2 shades off. Original color is darker, so it's not fade.

Since they're willing to rework it I would politely let them understand mb a better match is possible. Do it over, and blend hood and both fenders.

My .02-GL

yeah I probably going to have them repaint the bumper to try to get the color match closer which I really think is possible.

I'll think about the blending after I see the end result of the respray
Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
yeah I probably going to have them repaint the bumper to try to get the color match closer which I really think is possible.

I'll think about the blending after I see the end result of the respray
If I understand it correctly, the blend means they continue the new color into the old to make it less noticeable. Done all at the same time. Then same for clearcoat.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
funny you mention this, after 3 years of people backing up into my fiberglass front, it was way too cracked to keep running which is the reason why I even got a new bumper to begin with. I went with the OEM nismo bumper to hopefully help with the NY parking
People are dick heads bro. That's the reason my Z will never see a NYC street (that includes all 5 boroughs) unless I'm just passing through to get to NJ or CT.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by jhc
If I understand it correctly, the blend means they continue the new color into the old to make it less noticeable. Done all at the same time. Then same for clearcoat.
yup, so what theyll do is paint about half of the hood with the new color so that the color will blend in seamlessly when it gets to the bumper. That way the color change becomes a little less noticeable to the eye

the problem is, normally they will blend a color thats slightly off so that it makes the transition smoother and less abrupt. In my scenario, the new color is so off that a blend will fix the transition but at the end of the day youll still be able to see a color difference btwn my bumper and rest of my car

Quick Reply: Messed up color match...opinions? Also, Shine lip bad quality?