Sponsored by:

HID- swap bulb or buy a new ballast

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 AM
jdm0830

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID- swap bulb or buy a new ballast

Dudes and dudets,

My bad if this has been answered, but I don't think it has. Ive been doing some intense research into this everyday while on the toilet since saturday. Maybe a bit TMI. Regardless, the scenario and question.

I bought my car used two years ago. my head light just started dieing. Its a base model. It has HIDs since it the light was in its failure mode of sometimes working and sometimes not. So i was convinced that it was HIDs. Like a dumbass I assumed they were OEM. I purchased the d2s bulbs, bought 4.... thats due to me being so impatient and clicking ****.

So Saturday I took apart everything to get to the first headlight and what I find is not the OEM bulbs and ballast . Instead I find these after market thingys. I didn't take the ballast off and in hind sight... I should of. Maybe a sticker would of been on it.

It didn't look like any splicing went on and it looks like a straight plug and play. My question is,
1)is it worth purchasing these types of bulbs instead. I would prefer if I could get a hold of something quality vs cheap ebay stuff
2) if not, can I purchase an OEM ballast that would work with the bulbs I purchased? If so, which kind?

Let me know if I was not clear enough. Thanks!

-Juan
Attached Thumbnails HID- swap bulb or buy a new ballast-img_0010.jpg   HID- swap bulb or buy a new ballast-img_0011.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM
arrocha87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kits are cheap like $40 on ebay. but they do suck. most likely your ballast went out on it. if youre ok with the light output then just rebuy it. if you want it right then look in to getting stock ballasts and for HIDs.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:40 AM
jdm0830

The ballast is fine. I swapped bulbs to test.

I could retro fit a OEM ballast to my stuffs? I found the wiring diagram for it. Wondering if we have some sort of harness I can use instead of wiring it from a 6 prong to 8 prong.
-Juan
Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 AM
jdm0830

What do you guys this about this vs the full adapter?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231366619304?fits=Model%3A350Z

I'm hoping someone has had some experience with this. If not I'll buy these and report back
Old 10-24-2014, 12:55 PM
jdm0830

Bought it. Ill let you know if this fries my electronics lol
Old 10-24-2014, 05:30 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have bought many kits (not for my Z since it's OEM HID) and I really have to say, you get what you pay for. I have bought cheap kits and they are fine at the beginning, but they die usually in under a year, and you end up spending more money replacing bulbs and ballasts, etc. On my fiance's car I actually went through 3 or 4 sets of bulbs and 1 ballast in about 4 years. Finally the other ballast just went out the other night and I said screw it, I am dumping this kit and buying a brand new good kit. Bought the Diode Dynamics kit. So we will see when it comes in, but I have a Diode Dynamics kit on my B13 since I got the car about 3 years ago and not even a flicker once. I am sure it will be worth the extra cash. If not it has a 3 year warranty!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Why in the world did you buy 4 HID bulbs? In the stock mode, you have two H-7 for the low beams and 2 H-1 for the high beams. Since you have a base model, you most certainly have two rebased H-7 HID bulbs and that is what you will need to replace the burned out bulb. You can get the rebased H-7 HID bulbs from Diode Dynamics. It would probably be best to buy a new HID kit and start over. I wouldn't suggest getting HID for your high beams.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 PM
jdm0830

Thanks for the advice guys. I feel like I'll probably end up buying new ballasts. I'll deff check digital diodes out.

Now as far as why I night 4, I thought it was a one pack. So I typed in two and purchased without seeing that it was a two pack lol.

Edit:
Wait. I see where you got h7 from lol. I checked out diode dynamics* seems really inexpensive. I don't think I can purchase just the ballast, but at those prices it's fine. I just want to not drive around with one headlight any more -_-

N the H7 is a halogen, isn't it? I do have a base model, but if you look at the pics there clearly some aftermarket craps goin on.

Last edited by jdm0830; 10-24-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

H-7 is a halogen bub. However, there are HID lights rebased to fit into the socket for H-7 bulbs. That is the bulb you need for the Base models equipped with halogens from the factory. That is unless someone replaced the halogen light units with the lights from a higher model Z. I doubt that happened since you appear to have aftermarket HID ballasts.