Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new hood need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Skyydragonn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new hood need advice

Just got a new Vader style duraflex fiberglass hood for my Z, it's not exactly what I expected in terms of craftsmanship. the edges are not uniformly smooth, there's an inch long crack in the windshield facing undercarriage and the metal grills they use in the vents are barely attached using small 1" fiberglass strips that aren't even built into the shell.

I'm stuck on budget so I'm going to have to make this work. Looks like I've got a lot of sanding and finish work to do before I even take it to my shop for fitment/installation.

The plan is to leave the hood matte Black with automotive gloss finish with matching yellow accents on the side vent panels. leaving the center and rear vent recesses black. I will be replacing the shitty metal mesh they "installed" with black and yellow heavy duty plastic mesh (yellow in the black vented areas and black in the side yellow vents) and matching yellow hood pins.

Questions are as follows.

1)where can I get durable semi fine (1/8" opening) colored mesh?

2) are the following hood pins going to fit?
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Hood-Pins-p-36.html

2a) If not suggested alternative (in yellow if possible)

3)How should I attach the replacement mesh to the hood undercarriage?

4)is 220 grit sandpaper too coarse/fine for shaping the fiberglass edges by hand?

Any other advice in welcome!
Thanks in advance -=Skyy=-
Old 11-19-2014, 06:18 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

220 will barely sand fiberglass(now if you're just sanding the gelcoat then you may be fine) I shape fiberglass with 60grit and an orbital
Old 11-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Skyydragonn

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
220 will barely sand fiberglass(now if you're just sanding the gelcoat then you may be fine) I shape fiberglass with 60grit and an orbital
Mostly its just edge cleaning and some rounding needs done. So essentially treat it like I would woodworking and start with 60 and work my way down to 220/440 for smooth finish?

basically some of the hood edges are not properly shaped or are not evenly done and need touch up.

Also the mesh grills in the vents were attached pretty poorly I'm going to replace then with a yellow coated mesh, but I can't think of a better way to Firmly attach them :/ originally they used a piece of 1"x1 1/2" fiberglass cloth which barely held the metal flanges to the undercarriage. Some didn't hold up through shipping.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM
che69velle

you got the wrong hood, my hood is a carbon one from vis, its as if it was showroom. You're gonna have to shape and prime your hood to the fit you want. I'd use 100 grit on a 3" grinder to shape it. Then smooth it with 220, prime and guide coat, wet sand 320, 600 then paint.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Skyydragonn

Originally Posted by che69velle
you got the wrong hood, my hood is a carbon one from vis, its as if it was showroom. You're gonna have to shape and prime your hood to the fit you want. I'd use 100 grit on a 3" grinder to shape it. Then smooth it with 220, prime and guide coat, wet sand 320, 600 then paint.
I was intending to go CF originally but had to work within the confines of a budget set by an insurance claim due to hail damage to the OEM hood. Overall the Duraflex hood seems solid, its just not well "finished". it's been a long while since I've done any fiberglass work, so its time to get a refresher in!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. anyone know where to get 1/8th" rubber coated wire mesh?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:36 AM
che69velle

Originally Posted by Skyydragonn
anyone know where to get 1/8th" rubber coated wire mesh?
Get a sheet of lath from home depot and a can of plastidip.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM
VaGentleman

I have a
Vader hood coming and w/ my Brickyard, (2003 54K miles), I'm thinking of outlining the vents gold, (like I have painted my OEM wheels and emblems and handles; no clear-coat), and painting the vent screen OEM color. Should look nice as I have my Nismo Wing, side-skirts, (modified to have a vent near the back wheel), and carbon-fiber lip.