Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Water Underneath Rug ? Pics inside ! Attention !

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:16 PM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Water Underneath Rug ? Pics inside ! Attention !

So pretty much after it rains my rug underneath my driver side Matt gets very damp.today I decided to pull up the rug and check it out.after I pulled up the white Styrofoam filler, it was very damp, wet and disgusting under there.I can't seem to find where our how the water is getting threw to there any ideas?btw the white cloth insulation near the pedals are completely dry.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:17 PM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's not through the firewall, I would check the door seals. I have heard of people baby powdering it and looking for runs after a rain. Cocaine works too if you are short on baby powder.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 PM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by misterniceguy
If it's not through the firewall, I would check the door seals. I have heard of people baby powdering it and looking for runs after a rain. Cocaine works too if you are short on baby powder.
Haha.which door seals are you referring to exactly?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:26 AM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

do you drive your car in the rain?prob. one of those rubber plugs on the underside of the car got lost?!?!?! my guess...or it's the door seals on the body side
Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 AM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by XM 1
do you drive your car in the rain?prob. one of those rubber plugs on the underside of the car got lost?!?!?! my guess...or it's the door seals on the body side
Yes I do drive in the rain.Where are these under plugs located because I thoroughly checked or at least I thought I did my floor Pan when I lifted the rug? Unless you can't see the plugs from inside the car due to being covered by the sound deadening glue or something? Also about that weather stripping, the carpet area along the door or should I say closest to the door never seems to be wet? Thanks again guys I just really don't want mildew or rust to form.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 AM
misterniceguy

There is at least one plug right in the hole/dip area where you are getting the water. It is under your sound deadening though. I wonder if the sound deadening is coming up a little and the plug is damaged, allowing some water to seep in during rain driving.

The plug(s) is/are not rubber. It's a hard plastic. I cracked mine when I chipped away the sound deadening. Since your deadener is still there, you would have to remove it to get to the plug. I would suggest sealing it from the bottom/outside. Maybe some underbody spray would seal it up. If that is where you're getting water of course.

As for the seals, I would check whatever seals you can see.

Last edited by misterniceguy; 12-15-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM
NOLAGG

There is at least one plug right in the hole/dip area where you are getting the water. It is under your sound deadening though. I wonder if the sound deadening is coming up a little and the plug is damaged, allowing some water to seep in during rain driving.

The plug(s) is/are not rubber. It's a hard plastic. I cracked mine when I chipped away the sound deadening. Since your deadener is still there, you would have to remove it to get to the plug. I would suggest sealing it from the bottom/outside. Maybe some underbody spray would seal it up. If that is where you're getting water of course.

As for the seals, I would check whatever seals you can see.
Do you know where I should look underneath the car? AreThey round? Any pics of one? Lol sorry I just want to get this cleared up.

Will maybe Jack up my car tonight when i get home to take a look thanks again for the replies fellas
Old 12-15-2014, 09:52 AM
misterniceguy

You can see the damaged plug in the pic. I sealed and painted over it. And you can see there are two other small spots where I sealed and painted over a few inches from the main one. I think those were also from the factory, but it could have just been where I chiseled through the floor and had to seal it up. It's been a while so I don't remember for sure. That should give you an idea on where to look underneath.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM
NOLAGG

Awesome thank you so much for the response let alone the picture top of it.I will definitely check it out and well report back.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:13 PM
tommy smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That looks like pee damage

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
So pretty much after it rains my rug underneath my driver side Matt gets very damp.today I decided to pull up the rug and check it out.after I pulled up the white Styrofoam filler, it was very damp, wet and disgusting under there.I can't seem to find where our how the water is getting threw to there any ideas?btw the white cloth insulation near the pedals are completely dry.

You sure you're telling us everything ????
Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM
misterniceguy

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Awesome thank you so much for the response let alone the picture top of it.I will definitely check it out and well report back.
No prob. My jeep's carpet gets wet after a rain and I haven't gotten around to tracking it down yet. It's very annoying so I know how you feel.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 AM
XM 1

you could prob. also dry everything and use a water hose and just spray the area around the door and see if it get's wet again. if it's getting wet you know that your door seals are gone....if it's not it most def. coming from somewhere else.

not sure if it's just the pic, but it looks like the water is coming from behind the white foam!?!?!?!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 AM
XM 1

did you find a solution for this problem?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:56 AM
NOLAGG

Nope.it's freezing here and haven't had the time to get underneath the car yet to check the seals mister nice guy stated.I will soon though and when I do I'll report back and update this because it still gets wet.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:30 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Keep an eye on this, I drove in heavy rain a couple times, and my car was brand new. never knew about the seals cracking/giving away. My interior harness got damaged due to this, I initially blamed bad wiring from a head unit install but I've found water in connectors underneath the covers in the engine bay, and what you pictured above leading me to believe it might be water from the start.

HOW !?!

To the point my harness rusted i.e. the slimy green corrosion covered the whole harness...causing several bugs to slowly kill the car !

keep us posted on what you plan to do...I put electrical gel on most of my engine bay connections and will block off holes as mentioned above.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 AM
eracer

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Keep an eye on this, I drove in heavy rain a couple times, and my car was brand new. never knew about the seals cracking/giving away. My interior harness got damaged due to this, I initially blamed bad wiring from a head unit install but I've found water in connectors underneath the covers in the engine bay, and what you pictured above leading me to believe it might be water from the start.

HOW !?!

To the point my harness rusted i.e. the slimy green corrosion covered the whole harness...causing several bugs to slowly kill the car !

keep us posted on what you plan to do...I put electrical gel on most of my engine bay connections and will block off holes as mentioned above.

Where is this harness located? I'm going through the same issues with electrical gremlins. Car beeping, instrumentation turning off and on, warning beeps, courtesy done light staying half lit.

FYI. I had my windshield replaced and in the process found that the drivers side weatherstripping shrunk. The top rear corner had a gap in it under the a pillar. Dealer wants $125 for the piece and its coming from LA or NJ.

The leak caused water to puddle behind the drivers side floor. This was while the car was parked.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by eracer
Where is this harness located?
The picture below is the interior harness which control many of the functions i.e. dome light/trunk/horn etc

Also something to check is the BCM located by the dead pedal. Which the interior harness is connected to.

Last edited by KingBaby; 01-28-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 AM
eracer

Ty sir!