Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully functional aftermarket seats

Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM
RyankPeck

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fully functional aftermarket seats

I'm assuming that there aren't any companies that make them but I figured I'd throw the question out there.
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket seat companies that make seats that are powered (like the oem power seats) with airbags?
Probably not but it'd be awesome if it did exist for people who want their interior to look good, function on the track, and be as functional as the oem seats.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

You may not be aware of it, but powered seats with airbags have to be carefully designed to function properly. From how the seats are positioned to how the SRS airbags deploy, the engineering has to support a foolproof system that prevents or reduces injuries.

Now consider an aftermarket seat, the builders can't be sure of how it'll be mounted or even which car it'll be mounted in. Combine that with airbags--explosive devices that could be lethal if installed improperly--and you are left gaping at such a deep liability chasm that no company would ever consider taking on.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM
RyankPeck

Originally Posted by dkmura
You may not be aware of it, but powered seats with airbags have to be carefully designed to function properly. From how the seats are positioned to how the SRS airbags deploy, the engineering has to support a foolproof system that prevents or reduces injuries.

Now consider an aftermarket seat, the builders can't be sure of how it'll be mounted or even which car it'll be mounted in. Combine that with airbags--explosive devices that could be lethal if installed improperly--and you are left gaping at such a deep liability chasm that no company would ever consider taking on.
True, you're right. I didn't think of it being possibly dangerous. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-26-2015, 08:02 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

You may want to look at OEM seats from the Nismo 370Z (as well as for all Nismo and GTR models). They are designed and built for Nissan by Recaro.

They have all the OEM required componentry - mounting system, air bags, adjustments - that the manufacturer specs in their designs as far as size, build, etc.

Note: I do NOT know if they are easily interchangeable. (My wife would frown very deeply if I took the seats out of her car to "try 'em out" in my Z33s.)

Only thing missing, however, are the harness pass-throughs.

FWIW, I have no complaints about the factory cloth seats in the Z33 for MY USE (not track). They are as firm and supportive as the original Recaro LS models I had 30+ years ago. Factory car seats have come a LONG way since the days of slippery bench seats (and even the not-quite-so-supportive seats in the Gen 1 Z cars). Heh heh.

EDIT: There's an accessory seat for BMW's that does have the harness pass-throughs and side air bags - but don't know if they would work in a Z33 due to bag positioning, size, etc. (also built by Recaro). I have to imagine one would have to mortgage their first born child to possess them....

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-26-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:25 AM
RyankPeck

Haha you gave me some good ideas! Thanks Mic
Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
FWIW, I have no complaints about the factory cloth seats in the Z33 for MY USE (not track). They are as firm and supportive as the original Recaro LS models I had 30+ years ago. Factory car seats have come a LONG way since the days of slippery bench seats (and even the not-quite-so-supportive seats in the Gen 1 Z cars). Heh heh.
Couldn't agree more with these sentiments. Factory seats have come a long way from what was offered back in the 80's or 90's. The cloth seats in my Z33 seem to fit my body well, and have proven worthy for track use. Of course, they don't have the lateral support the Momo Cup race seat does in the race Z, but they're way easier to use the other 99% of the time.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:42 AM
RyankPeck

I agree. I just wish they had holes for a harness to go through and had a little more lateral support but I'm happy with them
Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by RyankPeck
I agree. I just wish they had holes for a harness to go through and had a little more lateral support but I'm happy with them
This has been covered before, but holes for a shoulder harness to go through are of little use unless you can properly mount them to a roll bar. Most shoulder harnesses mounted to a harness bar or bolted somewhere in the back are actually WORSE than using the OEM three-point shoulder belt in an accident. Don't wish for something that makes your Z less safe in an serious shunt...
Old 03-27-2015, 09:37 AM
RyankPeck

I would be mounting them to a roll bar.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:42 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RyankPeck
I would be mounting them to a roll bar.
Does not matter. With harnesses in the street getting into an accident your body stays hard against the seat. So what takes all the force? Your neck.

Harnesses are meant to be used with a full roll cage and a HANS device with a helmet.

I thought about seats for a while. I came to the conclusion you either go all the way (cage, seats, harness for track only) or stay with stock seat and stock belts, at least stock belts even if you get an aftermarket seat.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:18 PM
altimav8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, leave stock or go all the way. Nasa racing instructor went over this in class occasionally. few issues with a partial upgrade.

1-you have harnesses so a frontal crash you will break your neck instead of upper body moving forward into airbag. your body is pinned against the seat but head moves freely so your head will move too far away and break your neck.

2-car rollover, when roof caves in your body is pinned upright so you break your neck/spine. either dead or permanently handicap.

3-rollbar to head contact. skull will crack like an egg. so either dead or handicap.

so go all the way...roll bar, harness and bar and race seat with hans device and helmet.

or stay stock and maybe change seat to more bolstered seat like earlier post said

Last edited by altimav8; 04-12-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:20 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by altimav8
Yes, leave stock or go all the way. Nasa racing instructor went over this in class occasionally. few issues with a partial upgrade.

1-you have harnesses so a frontal crash you will break your neck instead of upper body moving forward into airbag. your body is pinned against the seat but head moves freely so your head will move too far away and break your neck.

2-car rollover, when roof caves in your body is pinned upright so you break your neck/spine. either dead or permanently handicap.

3-rollbar to head contact. skull will crack like an egg. so either dead or handicap.

so go all the way...roll bar, harness and bar and race seat with hans device and helmet.

or stay stock and maybe change seat to more bolstered seat like earlier post said