Sponsored by:

Scratched rear panel, need repair tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM
ryanmackk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scratched rear panel, need repair tips

Here's my problem:

I f'ed up my rear panel this morning in my building underground parking cus I was so tired, I didn't notice. I was going about 2 km/h and a pillar got me good, lol. That long scuff/scratch on the panel was from the previous owner (this car keeps getting it) but I'm looking to fix it at the same time.

It's down to the metal in some areas, primer in other areas, undercoat in others.

So far I'm looking into Chipex and Paint4u kits which are both the same price. Will I need to apply primer first or can I just prep for paint and spray it on?

Comes with a bit of color matched paint.

Comes with sandpaper and color matched paint

What are your recommendations? What are good products?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:23 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Sorry for that, ouch.
Haven't used these products. I'm old school, I'd prolly fill it, sand it out, spray with aerosol. wet sand and cut it w a buffer. Or hire it out. GL
Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM
DmanG281

Buff it out with some compound to see what you are really working with. From their, call a paintless dent place to pull dent and ask if they know any onsite painters(most do) if its a localized spot. If not, I wouldn't use those DIY deals unless you have prior experience. Fixing small chips is one thing but fixing something about the size of a dollar is another and can get away from you quick.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I agree- this repair looks like it's far beyond what a DIY kit can handle. A professional shop would be my choice even if it's expensive because a poor repair will really stand out in that area.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:03 PM
ryanmackk

Ok cool, thanks for teh reality check guys
Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 AM
g3rard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For small scratches, touch up paint is ok but for that, I would bring it to a local bodyshop. It will cost more but you will surely like the result.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 AM
ryanmackk

$550 by FixIt franchise. But he says he's gonna take out the rear light, rubber pieces, and the rear bumper to repaint the whole quarter panel. He will also do the long scratch-dent and some rust near my gas filler hole. Price is commensurate, but I'm wondering if all that needs to be done for just that one patch?

He says he doesn't want to blend a patch job so he will repaint the whole panel. Maybe that's a good thing because the work will be quality when it's done, but I don't want to drop $550 for something so little.

Repainting the panel vs blending the spot a good idea?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmackk
$550 by FixIt franchise. But he says he's gonna take out the rear light, rubber pieces, and the rear bumper to repaint the whole quarter panel. He will also do the long scratch-dent and some rust near my gas filler hole. Price is commensurate, but I'm wondering if all that needs to be done for just that one patch?

He says he doesn't want to blend a patch job so he will repaint the whole panel. Maybe that's a good thing because the work will be quality when it's done, but I don't want to drop $550 for something so little.

Repainting the panel vs blending the spot a good idea?
I had a small door dent which paintless dent removal couldn't do, body guy told me he would blend rear 1/4 and remove mirror and tail. $575 2 yrs ago, can't even see the work after I polished up. Check reviews on the shop. I always get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Mb ask to see a car or 2 they have just finished, GL
Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM
deliabastian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I saw this article that may answer some of your question. If it won't please just disregard. Just trying to help, and oh it's not my article (disclaimer) for you not to think I am marketing it paintscratch.com/paint/ good luck!

Last edited by deliabastian; 04-16-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did my own repairs using these guys..
https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form-1a.cgi
Paint matched perfect. I tried doing just a patch, was better off doing the panel. Blends better when you are not doing just a small portion. I had a rust bubble, that a body shop got me good on. So I cut metal off re-crafted small hole with fiberglass, and Aluminum.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM
JoseValencia27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this fixable?

Bump
I have a similar problem, I've been able to pop the dent out a little bit but still bothers me wondering if its an easy fix or if im #@$#!$? Please , Thank You