Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom diffuser, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM
leafjerky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custom diffuser, opinions?

So you might have seen another one of my threads about designing some custom wheels, but I've kind of been on a role lately. I just started using solidworks and I have this obsession with making **** and rendering it now. I'm no artist by any means, but I would like to become better. I've started a design on a custom diffuser. If I got it how I wanted, I could produce it. My friend has a 3d printer and fiberglass/carbon fiber isn't terribly complicated, just takes patience. Anyways, let me know what you think. It's not completely finished yet, I have to add some mounting points and fine tune the fins and a few other areas and it's a bit more aggressive than I was hoping, but with the right body kit it could look alright I think.

EDIT!!!: Here's the new one, hope it looks better.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/IOggH"><a href="//imgur.com/a/IOggH">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old one if you want some laughs

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/LKBw3"><a href="//imgur.com/a/LKBw3">diff v1</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for your time! -David

Last edited by leafjerky; 04-24-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: new diff design
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 PM
leafjerky

Touched up the fins and other edges

Old 04-23-2015, 11:27 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

It is interesting in an abstract way, however the sharp angles don't compliment the car.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:45 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I think your idea of what constitutes a diffuser and what a real diffuser is are off, Im not trying to be a jerk but all I see when I look at this is drag, and fins with zero purpose. I get that most "diffusers" sold are not really diffusers to begin with, but at least they don't negatively affect the car (most of the times)

Cool design for the sake of cool design, thats one thing, subjective tastes but, hey, it's not my car.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Honestly, I would never even think of putting that on my car. It looks terrible. Like armt stated, it doesn't compliment the lines of the car nor does it look like it serves a real purpose.

However, keep trying and posting your ideas.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:52 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with NiLL and Armt350z. It's abstract but it could serve a visual function. If you want an "aggressive" bumper to work towards mounting on, I'm looking for Ideas for my INGS N spec rear. PIcture for rendering purposes if desired
Attached Thumbnails Custom diffuser, opinions?-20140918_190134.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

The real purpose of a rear diffuser is to draw air from underneath the car and funnel, or shape it, so the airflow accelerates and produces downforce. Do a quick study on racing designs and you'll find it has a history in underbody aerodynamics that dates back to the 70's. Diffusers have a significant affect on racecars above 100 MPH. Even a fake diffuser bears some resemblance to the real thing- fiction following fact.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

No one is arguing that diffusers have a purpose. I'm arguing that this isnt a diffuser.

I dont think you fully understand how drag, drag pockets and aerodynamics work. The back side of his diffuser is not rounded. So now you have air that is going to swirl around behind it creating drag. The fins are supposed to keep the car stable at high speeds by keeping the air straight, his are bent, thats is going to be very counter productive to straight line stability.

A real diffuser is going to go under the muffler and connect with the rest of the underside aero. but most people don't have a full undertray, what I find funny is people who take out the can of the stock muffler and add inline muffler style that just destroys all aero under the car, as the stock muffler is part of it, then add a diffuser and it doesn't even go under the exhaust portion. Its one of the reasons I went with borla.

Last edited by NiLL; 04-24-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:40 AM
leafjerky

Whew, didn't think about the wasp nest I'd stir up haha. I actually tried doing some research on them prior to making it, but seeing as I have no experience with it, the info for making one right can be hard to come by, at least in the math department. I decided to just make this one for looks for ***** and giggles. Like I said, it came out way sharper and aggressive than I originally planned and I'll probably go for something a little more simple seeing as I don't have a body kit or anything. If anyone has information or a good link to the design I would love to get it. I'm an ME student and, while none of this is required, I do it for the sake of learning. Maybe one of you that's more artsy has a cool design? I appreciate the input
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like it says Mom Mom. Honestly I love auto cad and solid works stuff, but I am not feeling this design for the curves of the Z.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont like the design but props for doing your own design nonetheless. keep it up.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

OK, OP, pre-response disclaimer: This is just what it reminded me of. (Seriously.... so what's it say about me? ) No slight intended at all and seriously, I love the creativity but when I saw it I thought about Mel "Mad Max" Gibson...

I realize everyone's got an opinion and when I want one, I'll give you one. Heh heh.

Don't worry, maybe you're just ahead of your time. Perhaps Veilside needs your talent after you graduate.

PS Personally prefer the "simplicity" of the bumper/diffuser that NoTellZ posted above. Just enough coverage while revealing some of the goodies underneath. (All you pervs, please ignore that comment. I meant it in earnest. Laff....) And.... who am I to talk about styling? I drive a Niz with that gawdawful rear bumper/diffuser thing. BRRRRFFFF...

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-24-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That diffuser is ugly op. But don't be discouraged to post your ideas. I'm looking for a diffuser for my Z. Maybe you could sell me one of ur ideas
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM
leafjerky

I knew the design was bad when I finished rendering and put it on the z. I looked at my girlfriend and said "eh, I don't really like it" but I spent like 2 hours making it and decided to see anyways. I see a lot of stuff that is mass produced that I don't see how it got past concept (much like this). I've got spare time today and I'm going to try a new design. Currently talking with some people who specialize in aerodynamics and learning a little. Hopefully I can make something that's not just for looks
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM
qew

Check this one out. Goes for about 700.
Attached Thumbnails Custom diffuser, opinions?-image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by qew
Check this one out. Goes for about 700.
that looks like it would only work with stock exhaust
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the people here, sure the diffuser is somewhat "cool" visually but would serve no real purpose.

However I too am in the market for finding a rear diffuser and I believe that if you have the imagination to make something like that, you could make something truley useful.
I hope you make something interesting and useful enough to sell me your idea as well. I like "uniqueness" so something made by a person, and not a corporation will give that to me, so I hope for a few good reasons you do learn how to produce a good diffuser. Keep up the work, this could be a big deal if you stumble upon a good design!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM
leafjerky

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
I agree with the people here, sure the diffuser is somewhat "cool" visually but would serve no real purpose.

However I too am in the market for finding a rear diffuser and I believe that if you have the imagination to make something like that, you could make something truley useful.
I hope you make something interesting and useful enough to sell me your idea as well. I like "uniqueness" so something made by a person, and not a corporation will give that to me, so I hope for a few good reasons you do learn how to produce a good diffuser. Keep up the work, this could be a big deal if you stumble upon a good design!
Thanks for the kind words, ****. I am currently working on another one. i appreciate everyone's input, both negative and positive even though I don't consider any of them negative, just constructive criticism. No one really said "Hey that sucks" without a reason and I appreciate that. I will do my best to make it more realistic and less Bruce Wayne (or mad max). I Should have it up and rendered by 5 (central time). As for buying my design, don't worry about it. I'll give them to you for free if you really like them.
Thanks again
Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by leafjerky
Thanks for the kind words, ****. I am currently working on another one. i appreciate everyone's input, both negative and positive even though I don't consider any of them negative, just constructive criticism. No one really said "Hey that sucks" without a reason and I appreciate that. I will do my best to make it more realistic and less Bruce Wayne (or mad max). I Should have it up and rendered by 5 (central time). As for buying my design, don't worry about it
Thanks again
Quoted.

This will serve as my contract when I ask for a million of your ultimate design and make billions passing your creation as my own.

muahahahahaha....muahahahahaa!

But seriously. I'd be interested as long as it didn't provide drag or lift
Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 AM
leafjerky

Ha us z drivers sure as hell don't need any lift. I need all the downforce I can get to keep my tires on the road, especially in the rain. Now if only I could do the ls1 swap. the difficult part will be getting it to fit everyone's z as our exhaust setups and ride heights are all a little different.

Quick Reply: Custom diffuser, opinions?