Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing Brainiac: Connected Car Technology with a 10.1" Display for your Z

Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Friendly input?

Your product is too nice to be represented by that video....you need professional work representing your professional product.

Rather than bland dead palette scenery, I'd suggest you shoot some night shots of driving in an urban environment with nice bokeh from within the car so you get interplay of light blurs going by from the lit city as you drive through it...gives a better visual sense of the joy of driving since driving is a very visceral and visual experience.

The matte subaru is also a bad choice in my opinion? Wraps don't reflect light whatsoever, and in video or photography the reflections off of an object really enhance the lines and/or motion of something which leads to a better perception of dynamics. The subie sound is good...but not the looks from the outside.

"Which direction are you going" isn't going to call anyone to action I'm afraid? It's almost an indirect insult to non-buyers that if you don't have a Brainiac then they're going in the wrong direction....never want to imply an insult or anything negative.

I'd change the tagline...it only sounds like a "clever" play on words compared to driving happening in a direction...but it does nothing to cleverly amplify the benefits of your product. Selling is about selling the benefits, not the features.....and advertising needs to accomplish that also....the video doesn't mention one benefit on top of being depicted in less than dynamically flattering work.

The drone idea is good, but lower the drone and have it follow the car...keep a sense of motion in play?, and to bring it full circle...if you can't find dynamic background scenery, shoot at night and mix up the vantage points...shoot through a window from within a pizzeria or something as the car goes by (just atmosphere shots), shoot from a rooftop as the car turns a corner and parks then switch to in car as the driver works the menu a bit for whatever purpose/benefit you'd want to show/tease.

Coming back to the drone....most are equipped with a wide angle lens, which always minimizes scale and motion for a moving object (car)....to get a sense of dynamic movement you really have to get in close to the moving object and all sorts of dynamic visuals can start to happen once the right composition and background choices are chosen. Even driving the car slowly with a slow moving drone through a neighborhood can be visually stirring if other visual elements add to the story.

And possibly add a professional looking and pleasant female to the passenger seat.

Not to end on a negative....but the exhaust tip needs to be replaced before putting it into a professional video that is asking people to part with $1400 for your Brainiac. It really raises the question of "if this guy can't even take the time to wash his car and make it perfect for a video, what other corners has he cut with the product he's selling?" It's a credibility killer and looks amateurish. Same with the faded license plate cover....looks dingy, dirty, and reeks of "home video". Just take it off for the video.

Hope this helps,

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 12-07-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All great feedback

This is just the first little teaser for the full video. Many of the points that you make are covered in what's yet to come. We wanted to give just a first peek into what we've pulled together.

Its flow and style are also very targeted to the preorder campaign that needs to follow a certain required criteria to be posted with our partner.

I definitely appreciate the time and attention you've put into your feedback! We hope to have the rest posted shortly and welcome your thoughts on those sections as well.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:16 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

We're extremely excited to announce that preorders for Brainiac are now open!!

You can checkout all of the details and video of Brainiac in action on our preorder campaign page

https://brainiac.workshoptwelve.com/preorder

Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

hi again,, you spoke w me over IG yesterday. Curious what the retail price point and production time is for the tablet style set up.
Sorry if it has been mentioned, I m not at liberty to browse here for too long right now.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bmccann101
hi again,, you spoke w me over IG yesterday. Curious what the retail price point and production time is for the tablet style set up.
Sorry if it has been mentioned, I m not at liberty to browse here for too long right now.
The 10.1" snap-in kit goes for $1399 USD. Early Beta testing will happen around April and general shipping of orders is planned for July
Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Workshop12
All great feedback

This is just the first little teaser for the full video. Many of the points that you make are covered in what's yet to come. We wanted to give just a first peek into what we've pulled together.

Its flow and style are also very targeted to the preorder campaign that needs to follow a certain required criteria to be posted with our partner.

I definitely appreciate the time and attention you've put into your feedback! We hope to have the rest posted shortly and welcome your thoughts on those sections as well.
Glad to help, I was eating in front of my keyboard so I figured what the heck...I've got ten minutes of down time here.

Will be happy to share any thoughts about your upcoming sections, and thanks for being open minded to improving your product. I'm not a critical hearted guy, but I do think critically in ways meant to help and improve things when possible.

Love your menu design by the way....very clean, and I know it's easier done than doing. The doing can take forever until it's done.

Saved
Old 12-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Jeebus. July? I was really looking forward to fitting this over the winter.

I'm also not quite sure about Kickstarter. What's with having to commit $1,800+? I'm 'fused.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:34 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

If I had the money, I'd do it just to help out. However, I think you're looking at it wrong. The preorders are different. I could be wrong, too. I just read it differently.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Heritage
Jeebus. July? I was really looking forward to fitting this over the winter.

I'm also not quite sure about Kickstarter. What's with having to commit $1,800+? I'm 'fused.
It unfortunately takes some time to pull together the manufacturing at scale.

The Kickstarter site is kind of confusing. Because we are a Canadian company it makes us list the price in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate has the value at approximately $1399 USD for the 10.1" snap-in kit.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 PM
RWDBajan

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Quick question, and sorry if it was already asked but I searched and didn't find any mention here or in the blog. Will either kit support the steering wheel buttons for volume and channel, or for phone controls?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Heritage

It unfortunately takes some time to pull together the manufacturing at scale.

The Kickstarter site is kind of confusing. Because we are a Canadian company it makes us list the price in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate has the value at approximately $1399 USD for the 10.1" snap-in kit.
So let's say I commit the $1819CN, on a credit card. When does that card get charged - and where does my early bird discount take effect?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:36 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RWDBajan
Quick question, and sorry if it was already asked but I searched and didn't find any mention here or in the blog. Will either kit support the steering wheel buttons for volume and channel, or for phone controls?
We do have a 3.5mm TRS input for analog steering wheel controls. Like other aftermarket stereos you will need an adapter for your lead wires going to your existing stereo to be converted over to our standard rear input if you wish to keep the controls.

PAC makes a nice programmable one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541SWIR...r.html?tp=3405
The following users liked this post:
RWDBajan (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

So let's say I commit the $1819CN, on a credit card. When does that card get charged - and where does my early bird discount take effect?
The preorder campaign lasts 30 days, so it will be ending January 7th. At that time your credit card will be charged.

We will be emailing out the early bird discount codes before the end of the campaign. At the end of the campaign we'll be asking people to submit us their discount codes via an online web form so that we can link your discount code with your Kickstarter preorder.

When we ship the Brainiac unit to you we will be including the 10% discount in your shipment as either a money order or equivalent.

We posted some more details in our "Preparing for Preorders" blog post:
http://workshoptwelve.com/2015/11/21...for-preorders/

Happy to answer questions so keep them coming
Old 12-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Heritage

The preorder campaign lasts 30 days, so it will be ending January 7th. At that time your credit card will be charged.

We will be emailing out the early bird discount codes before the end of the campaign. At the end of the campaign we'll be asking people to submit us their discount codes via an online web form so that we can link your discount code with your Kickstarter preorder.

When we ship the Brainiac unit to you we will be including the 10% discount in your shipment as either a money order or equivalent.

We posted some more details in our "Preparing for Preorders" blog post:
http://workshoptwelve.com/2015/11/21...for-preorders/

Happy to answer questions so keep them coming
Ok. Devil's Advocate question.

I have read the link, and I think I understand how you wish to go about this.

What incentive is there in committing the funds - to be charged in January @ the full amount of $1399US (10.1" unit) - to have to wait 6 months, and be exposed to the possibility that something happens and this never gets done? It seems by the answers you've given in your link that we 10% qualifiers can apply that discount and order later in the year, when it is obvious that manufacturing is ongoing and the risk of this falling apart is past.

Do I get a Brainiac sticker for committing via Kickstarter or something?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:16 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ok. Devil's Advocate question.

I have read the link, and I think I understand how you wish to go about this.

What incentive is there in committing the funds - to be charged in January @ the full amount of $1399US (10.1" unit) - to have to wait 6 months, and be exposed to the possibility that something happens and this never gets done? It seems by the answers you've given in your link that we 10% qualifiers can apply that discount and order later in the year, when it is obvious that manufacturing is ongoing and the risk of this falling apart is past.

Do I get a Brainiac sticker for committing via Kickstarter or something?
Fantastic question!

And we want to be 100% transparent on what we're doing and how we plan to execute.

We've calculated how many orders we need to take across all of our options of double-din, and vehicle specific installs in order to setup manufacturing. The needed funds total up to an amount that is set as our Kickstarter funding target. The breakdown of that amount is seen below:

That breakdown is enough money to execute on creating the units which results in a break-even for us, but gets us to a point on where we can build even more units. So with a successful campaign we're confident that we can deliver hardware to our backers.

If we are not able to fulfil the number of orders needed in our Kickstarter campaign we'll need to regroup and find another source of funding for the initial orders. This is because if we don't reach our target, then we get nothing and no credit cards are charged. Only with a successful campaign do we collect funds.

So now that I've been long winded... Yes, the 10% discount can be applied at any time, but if we aren't able to successfully fund our preorder campaign we'll have delays in raising the capital needed to execute on the manufacturing. So it's a bit of a catch 22.

And absolutely, we'll send you some Brainiac stickers if you like for your early preorder
Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

There has been a flood of feedback that we've received over the last 4 days. The feedback contained many requests for preorder capabilities and options that were not being serviced by Kickstarter.

We've worked around the clock and taken action and make preordering better for you! That means preordering without your credit card being charged until your unit ships, as well as a system for accepting our early adopter 10% discount.

Preorder Change Details
http://workshoptwelve.com/2015/12/12...e-we-listened/

Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Our early supporter 10% discount codes have been sent out! Keep an eye on your email today for your unique code!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Heritage

That's better. I'll be ordering shortly.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:44 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Will the 10.1 have a version for the 06? I checked the site and it doesn't have it .
Old 12-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by StevSam
Will the 10.1 have a version for the 06? I checked the site and it doesn't have it .
We haven't designed one to fit the 06-08 as of yet. We're trying to gauge demand as it will require R&D and design changes.

So if you, or people you know, have an 06-08 and are interested please do let us know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introducing Brainiac: Connected Car Technology with a 10.1" Display for your Z