Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Molded on eyelids

Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 AM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Extended Hood Eyelids

Here is a part of my build that I’ve never seen done on a Z before, molded on eyelids.

I loved the look of eyelids, but hated the gap that was left between the hood and the eyelid.

The eyelids were made from scratch and bonded to the hood. They are made of West Systems epoxy resin and fiberglass matt. Before making the hood was etched with West Systems aluminum etch kit. This resin is made to bond to aluminum.

I feel that with the shape of the hood, and the way these are made that the fiberglass is actually considerably stronger than if I would have used a piece of aluminum and welded it. There is also less filler required this way than if done with aluminum.

The fiberglass is roughly 12-16 layers of cloth, I can’t remember. 6-8 layers on the top side of the hood, and 6-8 on the bottom side. Doing this way sandwiches the hood between the fiberglass making for a super strong joint.

The eyelids are roughly 3/16” thick and sit about 3/16” above the headlight. Fitment at the back is tight, but it fits. It takes a bit of test fitting and fooling around, but it all fits.

There is no noticeable loss of light output with these eyelids. They actually only cover the top corner of the projector, less than the size of a dime. We used a headlight aiming machine to check the output, and there was no noticeable difference between the hood being closed and the hood being open.

I have a pic of the underside somewhere too but I can't find it. It is finished just as nicely as the top, sanded and painted. Most people that don't know 350Zs don't even realize this mod was done, they think it's factory.

Laying out the shape on the car to get an idea if I wanted to go ahead with the mod or not.
Name:  IMG_2753.jpg
Views: 4337
Size:  1.97 MB

Sanding the paint off the hood, and etching the aluminum:
Name:  IMG_3097.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  2.20 MB

Fiberglassing the top side. You can see there is about a 1” flange that overlaps the top side of the hood. I used a piece of thin foam between the headlight and masking tape. This created the gap that is now between the eyelid and headlight.
Name:  IMG_3099.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  1.59 MB
Name:  IMG_3104.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  1.54 MB

Top side cured and hood opened.
Name:  IMG_3102.jpg
Views: 2221
Size:  1.35 MB
Trimming the top side to get the shape.
Name:  IMG_3105.jpg
Views: 2310
Size:  1.46 MB
Name:  IMG_3106.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  1.81 MB

Fiberglassing the bottom side.
Name:  IMG_3111.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  1.27 MB

A skim coat of filler and finish sanding the top side.
Name:  IMG_3125.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  1.43 MB

A couple finished pics:
Name:  DSC_2118wm.jpg
Views: 2710
Size:  706.0 KB
Name:  DSC_2159.jpg
Views: 3336
Size:  11.40 MB

Last edited by 350Z_Al; 02-03-2016 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (03-18-2016)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:10 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i was going to say that i have seen a red car with this.... and then i realized it was yours. i like it!
350Z_Al (12-29-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I like it but also feel something is "off" since the bumper lines don't continue up into the hood. I've seen this done most frequently on Euros.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow, makes me want to take off my eyelids and do this. Look so much cleaner!
350Z_Al (12-29-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I like it but also feel something is "off" since the bumper lines don't continue up into the hood. I've seen this done most frequently on Euros.
This. Headlight needs to be modified so that the hood cuts into the headlights to follow the bumper lines. Think 458 italia.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM
350Z_Al

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Yeah I know, we did sacrifice that body line in making the eyelids. That allowed us to sit the eyelid above the headlight so it would all fit though. If you really tried, you could probably save half the height of that line, but I think that would probably look worse lol

Originally Posted by Flee0588
This. Headlight needs to be modified so that the hood cuts into the headlights to follow the bumper lines. Think 458 italia.
Man, if I had the ability to form custom plastics, headlight lenses, etc I totally would have done it lol... I've looked at the 458 headlight a lot and have considered redoing the internals of this headlight to suit the new shape better.. Either 458 style, or I've been toying with the idea of the Acura LED projectors, re-shaped to fit.. ideas lol
Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z_Al
Here is a part of my build that I’ve never seen done on a Z before, molded on eyelids.

I loved the look of eyelids, but hated the gap that was left between the hood and the eyelid.

The eyelids were made from scratch and bonded to the hood. They are made of West Systems epoxy resin and fiberglass matt. Before making the hood was etched with West Systems aluminum etch kit. This resin is made to bond to aluminum.

I feel that with the shape of the hood, and the way these are made that the fiberglass is actually considerably stronger than if I would have used a piece of aluminum and welded it. There is also less filler required this way than if done with aluminum.

The fiberglass is roughly 12-16 layers of cloth, I can’t remember. 6-8 layers on the top side of the hood, and 6-8 on the bottom side. Doing this way sandwiches the hood between the fiberglass making for a super strong joint.

The eyelids are roughly 3/16” thick and sit about 3/16” above the headlight. Fitment at the back is tight, but it fits. It takes a bit of test fitting and fooling around, but it all fits.

There is no noticeable loss of light output with these eyelids. They actually only cover the top corner of the projector, less than the size of a dime. We used a headlight aiming machine to check the output, and there was no noticeable difference between the hood being closed and the hood being open.

I have a pic of the underside somewhere too but I can't find it. It is finished just as nicely as the top, sanded and painted. Most people that don't know 350Zs don't even realize this mod was done, they think it's factory.
I love everything you did to the car, except for this. Maybe one day ill grow into liking it. But for right now, it looks a little off...

Last edited by SR71; 12-23-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Please don't quote all the pics
Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I know, we did sacrifice that body line in making the eyelids. That allowed us to sit the eyelid above the headlight so it would all fit though. If you really tried, you could probably save half the height of that line, but I think that would probably look worse lol

Man, if I had the ability to form custom plastics, headlight lenses, etc I totally would have done it lol... I've looked at the 458 headlight a lot and have considered redoing the internals of this headlight to suit the new shape better.. Either 458 style, or I've been toying with the idea of the Acura LED projectors, re-shaped to fit.. ideas lol
Haha yea thats the problem. Car looks good either way, good work!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:31 PM
TSG-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how I feel about this, looks like the hood is from another car. I agree that the hood should have a bodyline break.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM
350Z_Al

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
Don't know how I feel about this, looks like the hood is from another car. I agree that the hood should have a bodyline break.
You could start the body line break at the front edge of the hood, but where do you go from there with it? I'm having a hard time picturing a nice way to flow the break up the hood and end it... What do you think?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 PM
RSZ33

Looks Awesome! I wish they sold hoods like this instead of the eyelids. Great work!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I think it looks good as is, but if you wanted to change it up or make some custom headlights to utilize some bumper lines...

And you could have some skinny *** headlights... Think its probably better as is though.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:38 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Was never a fan of the eBay eyelids but damn this is something completely different. I like it and the bumper lines don't bother me one bit
Old 03-18-2016, 08:51 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you line the underside of the hood so it doesn't goober up the headlight plastic? I think it looks pretty slick but that was my first thought. "I wonder how the headlight looks under that?"
Old 03-22-2016, 06:11 AM
350Z_Al

Originally Posted by DmanG281
Did you line the underside of the hood so it doesn't goober up the headlight plastic? I think it looks pretty slick but that was my first thought. "I wonder how the headlight looks under that?"
Headlight looks fine, it doesn't touch the headlight. The hood actually sits about 3/16" above the headlight at most parts. The back is the tightest, but it still doesn't quite touch.

Last edited by 350Z_Al; 03-22-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:12 AM
350Z_Al

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I think it looks good as is, but if you wanted to change it up or make some custom headlights to utilize some bumper lines...

And you could have some skinny *** headlights... Think its probably better as is though.
Interesting. I kind of like the L shape of the headlight now, it looks mean.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 AM
ICULOOK

Laying out the shape on the car to get an idea if I wanted to go ahead with the mod or not.

Sanding the paint off the hood, and etching the aluminum:

Fiberglassing the top side. You can see there is about a 1” flange that overlaps the top side of the hood. I used a piece of thin foam between the headlight and masking tape. This created the gap that is now between the eyelid and headlight.

Top side cured and hood opened.

Trimming the top side to get the shape.

Fiberglassing the bottom side.

A skim coat of filler and finish sanding the top side.

A couple finished pics:

Honestly, it would of probably looked more flush if you kept the eyelid design and got rid of the gap. To me it just seems like the eyelids look too big. I hope that makes sense lol
Old 03-27-2016, 03:14 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

well its a good thing its his car and not yours
Old 03-27-2016, 04:04 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I honestly don't think it could have come out any better. If they would have offered that as an aftermarket hood for sale in say the $750-$1000 range in a carbon fiber variety it would have sold like hot cakes.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 AM
ICULOOK

Originally Posted by travlee
well its a good thing its his car and not yours
Oh yeah of course, didn't mean to be "that guy" it was just my idea since people are saying its doesn't come flush to the bumper