Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Joe clan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have it made they can put the bends where you want and make it how you want. Bolt in you are at what ever they produce. I built my camaro only for track and auto cross. I was getting pissed off that I was getting beat by vendor cars (air ride technology, Detroit speed and so on) I sold my 69 camaro, bought a 69 camaro shell and built that for track and auto X.

Last edited by Joe clan; 01-09-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
I mean... that could be dangerous, but ill just let natural selection deal with it
Yes tis true. Atleast he hasnt removed oem steering wheel... yet..
Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 PM
sfhshockey77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Yes tis true. Atleast he hasnt removed oem steering wheel... yet..
Can you tell me how getting a high quality cage is dangerous? Especially on a show car?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:19 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sfhshockey77
Can you tell me how getting a high quality cage is dangerous? Especially on a show car?
I never said it was... he said it could be potentially and i agreed potentially because the car was not engineered with crash test wise and crumple zones may be adverly affected. Idk. But like i say do you boo

Last edited by nizmo_0385; 01-09-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Kirk would be exactly what you're looking for. I have a Kirk Racing bolt in street bar and the quality and fitment is very good. If you actually want it to be "legal" for track use, you have to buy the straight rear leg version not the X-bar. It is as good as a weld-in...? No, but it is easier to install.

In the same breath, that Moti bar looks legit. Aside from the X bar though, the fitment looks VERY similar to my Kirk bar.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 AM
ocdz

^because you have a VERY hard steel bar right behind your head. If you crash and your seat back breaks (if you have reclining seats, or cheap racing seats) you will crush your skull on said bar. In a racing scenario you would be wearing a helmet and also have padding on the bar.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by ocdz
I think Kirk would be exactly what you're looking for. I have a Kirk Racing bolt in street bar and the quality and fitment is very good. If you actually want it to be "legal" for track use, you have to buy the straight rear leg version not the X-bar. It is as good as a weld-in...? No, but it is easier to install.

In the same breath, that Moti bar looks legit. Aside from the X bar though, the fitment looks VERY similar to my Kirk bar.
You are correct about the X bar in the Kirk bar being worthless ,but if you look at the http://www.blackbirdfabworx.com version , it has the 2 proper rear down tubes and the X bar correctly linking them. It is a perfectly legal setup and prefured for strength.

Other argument going on, Safety. Going to have to say not as safe, you would now have an extra bar in the car to smack your melon off of. If you add a proper seat and 4 point ASM harness, you may be able to say it's potentially safer than stock.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 AM
ocdz

Originally Posted by terrasmak
You are correct about the X bar in the Kirk bar being worthless ,but if you look at the http://www.blackbirdfabworx.com version , it has the 2 proper rear down tubes and the X bar correctly linking them. It is a perfectly legal setup and prefured for strength.
^ yea I didn't mean to say that having a x bar was illegal, just that it must have the straight rear legs to be legal. Adding an X brace to the straight legs like the other posted roll bar is perfectly ok and looks great. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

After owning multiple race cars that have been caged, I hesitate to offer much advice on a show car. But show cars do get driven occasionally, and people operating them should know the risks:

1) Roll cage installation always intrudes on interior space. Whether it's your head, arm or leg, there's always the chance an impact will cause a limb (or worse, head) to hit solid steel. Even race cars need closed cell offset padding around the areas closest to the driver/passenger.

2) Depending on seat selection and mounting, seatbelt and airbag deployment zones may change. Wouldn't want an explosive charge hitting you in the wrong spot, would you? In my 350Z T3 racecar, I sit so low, the airbags would likely be more of a hazard than anything else (if I still had them).

3) Side impact bars (if selected) can and do affect entrance and egress. They should be angled outwards towards the door, and in most cases, mandate the removal of the door panels themselves. Not so showy, but it ties the front part of the cage to the main hoop and prevents rib and arm damage.

Installing a real roll cage deserves some serious thought. If it's just for show, my inclination would be to rely on the factory safety systems first, and not compromise either your own or your passenger's safety. Putting in a gold (or whatever color) cage, only impresses the uninformed. Avoid the rolling eyes (like mine), save some money and get something else more...showy.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:18 AM
sfhshockey77

^because you have a VERY hard steel bar right behind your head. If you crash and your seat back breaks (if you have reclining seats, or cheap racing seats) you will crush your skull on said bar. In a racing scenario you would be wearing a helmet and also have padding on the bar.

Ahh okay that makes sense, I never thought about the bar right behind my head. I do however have two status racing bucket seats in my car which are very good quality seats. And also I don't drive the car very much at all but that's definitely something to take into account. And I'll have to take a look at Kirk. Can I ask how much it cost you?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Roll bar/cage..... that thing you buy for your car and hope you never make use of.

I've had a few.... only one got used. Whew.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:22 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I do not track the car, I just want one for looks basically
Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 AM
dysfunctional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by dysfunctional; 12-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:01 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Just get some pvc pipes and paint them black. Same effect, probably less dangerous
Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

^^Please DON'T follow either of those last two suggestions! Even for a showcar, that kind of posturing just makes me queasy...
Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 PM
sfhshockey77

Originally Posted by dkmura
^^Please DON'T follow either of those last two suggestions! Even for a showcar, that kind of posturing just makes me queasy...

Hahaha wasn't planning on it
Old 02-06-2016, 06:42 AM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default roll bar

Agree with all...had mine cutom built for my show car as well...bars will be closed cell covered before I drive. Rear stock strut bar will be cut out and a new chrome moly one installed...speaker box comes out and dual NOS bottles mounted on a gold covered AL base.

Like me, the OP may be trying to blend race car looks with show car quality..not many done that way..its usually just speakers or NOS in the trunk with stock strut bar.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a good roll cage-1-almost-done-trunk-w-m-roll-bar-stock-strutbar-speaker-box.jpg   Looking for a good roll cage-roll-bar-drivers-side-closeup.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 02-06-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
Agree with all...had mine cutom built for my show car as well...bars will be closed cell covered before I drive.
Don't use ordinary closed cell foam pads to cover your roll bar/cage. Go to a race shop and purchase purpose built offset rollcage high density foam sections. They have double sided tape on the inside, so you can position them to protect your head, arms, legs, etc. Use tie wraps as insurance to make sure they stay in place.

If you're going to do this- DO IT RIGHT!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

step up your game and go Custom

Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
step up your game and go Custom

And if you're stepping up your game with a custom cage, you should STILL use offset high density rollbar padding near your head (or your passenger's head) to ensure no direct steel-to-skull contact in the event of an accident.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good roll cage