Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW (to me) Burnt Orange Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 PM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default NEW (to me) Burnt Orange Leather Seats

So, just picked up a set of burnt orange leather seats that I've been looking for my Z for a while now!! And I finally got a pair, and got a hell of a deal. However, as you can see, they need a little TLC, mainly the drivers side.

What do you pros suggest? I feel as thought I will need some pretty heavy duty leather cleaner and conditioner? What works best!?

Thanks for your help!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 490
Size:  147.8 KB
Old 08-24-2016, 09:11 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I like the Gliptone cleaner and conditioner - been using it on my BMW's and Alfa's for years and years.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM
NR350z

Originally Posted by dcains
I like the Gliptone cleaner and conditioner - been using it on my BMW's and Alfa's for years and years.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Good for heavily soiled / stained areas?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 PM
dcains

yes - the cleaner is like saddle soap and lifts off old oil and dirt. The conditioner soaks into the leather almost as fast as you can put it on, and leaves a nice, new leather smell. Great stuff. I bought an '85 BMW 635 two years ago, and it had original leather as stiff as cardboard. The Gliptone made it butter soft, but it took 3 or 4 applications.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 PM
NR350z

yes - the cleaner is like saddle soap and lifts off old oil and dirt. The conditioner soaks into the leather almost as fast as you can put it on, and leaves a nice, new leather smell. Great stuff. I bought an '85 BMW 635 two years ago, and it had original leather as stiff as cardboard. The Gliptone made it butter soft, but it took 3 or 4 applications.
The main look I'm goin for is a nice soft, matte even finish and raise those super shiny areas. I'm guessing this product will give me what I'm looking for ?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

dcains, been looking for some good leather cleaner.... took your word and ordered some today. my seats are linen and black color, where my belt has been rubbing there is a mark. hopefully this will clean it up

op, good looking seat, lets see them after they are clean
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by travlee
dcains, been looking for some good leather cleaner.... took your word and ordered some today. my seats are linen and black color, where my belt has been rubbing there is a mark. hopefully this will clean it up

Ill be ordering some as well.

And, of course, there will be after shots !
Old 08-25-2016, 05:03 AM
NR350z

Also, the previous owner of the seats gave me the switches, they're out of an '03 and going in my '03, and Im going from cloth manual to these, I've read the 5 page write-up and didn't find my answer. Im guessing it isn't as easy as pig and play with these (thinking that 03 to 03 would be the exception). But to my understanding, there's different harnesses? And Im going to have to tap into power somewhere (most people do the cigg lighter), does it draw enough to tap both seats to it for power?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:14 AM
travlee
Master

amazon has it for $16

i would think that there would be a pigtail tucked under the carpet or something that you could just plug into
Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 AM
NR350z

amazon has it for $16

i would think that there would be a pigtail tucked under the carpet or something that you could just plug into
One would think, but from what I read, the wiring harnesses with powered and manual seats are different... I hope Im wrong, or maybe it was just different when going to different model years (ie. '08 seats into an '03)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:40 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by NR350z
The main look I'm goin for is a nice soft, matte even finish and raise those super shiny areas. I'm guessing this product will give me what I'm looking for ?
Hard to say. The Gliptone won't repair wear areas on the leather, but it also won't leave it slick or shiny like some other products. So, clean and condition first, and see where you are. The Nissan leather, like on most newer cars, is painted, so the color doesn't go all the way through like on vat-dyed leather (like on my old BMW's and Alfa's). If that color layer is damaged and you need to repair it (doesn't look like it in your pics), you can use the dye products from Leatherique, and they can provide an exact color match if you can provide a small sample.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:46 AM
dcains

I wouldn't get the Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner on the cloth parts of the seat, as it's not made for that. The conditioner is thick and creamy, like a skin moisturizer. My Z has cloth seats, and I use this stuff, which works great:

Old 08-25-2016, 05:47 AM
travlee
Master

linen color leather i should have said

Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 AM
dcains

Then you're fine. The Gliptone is great, and my favorite part is that my car smells like the inside of a leather shop afterwards.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 AM
NR350z

Hard to say. The Gliptone won't repair wear areas on the leather, but it also won't leave it slick or shiny like some other products. So, clean and condition first, and see where you are. The Nissan leather, like on most newer cars, is painted, so the color doesn't go all the way through like on vat-dyed leather (like on my old BMW's and Alfa's). If that color layer is damaged and you need to repair it (doesn't look like it in your pics), you can use the dye products from Leatherique, and they can provide an exact color match if you can provide a small sample.
I understand it won't repair, but the bolster and seat back on the drivers side seat is the worst part, hoping it lift the darkened more shiny areas.

Just to clarify, you don't think repair or dye will be necessary?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by NR350z
(most people do the cigg lighter)
Pretty sure power seats run off a 25-30a fuse vs a 10 or 15 for the cigg
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM
dcains

I can't tell from the pics. Any idea what those dark areas are? Other than that, they look pretty good, but the cleaning and conditioning will tell you where you are afterwards. You may have to clean them a few times, depending on how dirty the leather is, and may have to condition a few times, too, depending on how dry the leather is.

The seats in my BMW are black, and I cleaned them a few times, until the towels I was using stopped getting dirty. And, I conditioned them several times, until the leather was as soft as I thought it would get. Now I use the conditioner once every few months or so, which keeps them soft and keeps the leather smelling new. Just takes a few minutes. We tried it in my wife's Acura, and the conditioner doesn't soak in quite as well as on the BMW because the Acura has that painted leather, like the Z, but it still worked well enough and smells great. Here's a pic of the BMW seats, and you can see it doesn't leave them slick or shiny. This leather is almost 32 years old:

Old 08-25-2016, 09:25 AM
NR350z

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Pretty sure power seats run off a 25-30a fuse vs a 10 or 15 for the cigg
Interesting, the write up in the DIY section I believe stated they used the cigg lighter, but maybe that was to power the heating mechanism?

I could be mistaken tho...

The owner gave me the switches for the heat, is it possible to do plug and play? Again, the seats are out of an 03 and go into an 03
Old 08-25-2016, 09:31 AM
NR350z

I can't tell from the pics. Any idea what those dark areas are? Other than that, they look pretty good, but the cleaning and conditioning will tell you where you are afterwards. You may have to clean them a few times, depending on how dirty the leather is, and may have to condition a few times, too, depending on how dry the leather is.

The seats in my BMW are black, and I cleaned them a few times, until the towels I was using stopped getting dirty. And, I conditioned them several times, until the leather was as soft as I thought it would get. Now I use the conditioner once every few months or so, which keeps them soft and keeps the leather smelling new. Just takes a few minutes. We tried it in my wife's Acura, and the conditioner doesn't soak in quite as well as on the BMW because the Acura has that painted leather, like the Z, but it still worked well enough and smells great. Here's a pic of the BMW seats, and you can see it doesn't leave them slick or shiny. This leather is almost 32 years old:

That definitely looks great!

I had a $10 GC to Pep Boys and my impatience is getting the best of me, so I bought the Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner, and Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner (two separate products). Im gonna see how it goes with cleaning them with the Meguiars but Im thinking a more professional product may be better.... I also bought a interior brush to clean a little better.

Whats any and everyones thoughts on Meguiar's product?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM
dcains

I think the Meguairs will leave the leather shinier, so try a small section first. I think I have some in my bin of chemicals.

Quick Reply: NEW (to me) Burnt Orange Leather Seats