Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented/Cutout Fender Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 AM
DACodeRed

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well after working on the fender for close to 5 days now I've been defeated. Somewhere in the mold making process I messed up. I believe it was when I applied my PVA mold release. I think I didn't get an even enough coating so the fiberglass ended up sticking to the mold. So once it fully dried it didn't release cleanly from the metal fender. I tried my best to salvage it, but I had no luck. So this is where my vented fender project sadly ends, for now at least.

While I may have failed in my attempts at making a whole fender I did learn a lot in this process. I know where I made my mistakes and I feel that next time I attempt a project this big I'll have better success. If I do attempt vented fenders again I think a better idea would be to just create the vent rather than the whole fender; similar to how most wide body kits are.

While I still have a bunch of materials I'm now going to continue practicing with composites. Next weekend I'm going to attempt to make canards out of fiberglass since I have so much material left and it should be an easier part to produce. Hopefully after successfully making fiberglass canards, I might try my hands at carbon fiber canards. The place I purchased my fiberglass materials from also sells kevlar and carbon/kevlar hybrid which could make some cool items as well.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who gave their input on this thread and be on the lookout for my next adventure in the composite part world. Who knows I might be able to turn it into a small business.

-DACodeRed
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Good attempt, learning is way the fun is!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Good attempt, learning is way the fun is!
^^^ Word.

Never saw this thread when it was posted last year but I probably would have said, "working with fiberglass.... UGGGGGH". Haha. Among the many things I foolishly did in my [ long lost ] youth was I helped a guy build fiberglass body parts in a back room of the local speed shop. You know, masks, gloves, chopper gun, many brushes wasted cuz we didn't clean out the gel coat, etc. I did that for a week. That's as long as I lasted in that "business". I hate itchy.

But good attempt, seriously. Fun, frustrating, "educative" all at the same time.

Semi-related question: What exactly is the purpose of these cut/vented fenders anyways? I can imagine brake cooling, or air flow in/out of the engine compartment (?) and maybe clearance.... but what'um missing?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
^^^ Word.

Never saw this thread when it was posted last year but I probably would have said, "working with fiberglass.... UGGGGGH". Haha. Among the many things I foolishly did in my [ long lost ] youth was I helped a guy build fiberglass body parts in a back room of the local speed shop. You know, masks, gloves, chopper gun, many brushes wasted cuz we didn't clean out the gel coat, etc. I did that for a week. That's as long as I lasted in that "business". I hate itchy.

But good attempt, seriously. Fun, frustrating, "educative" all at the same time.

Semi-related question: What exactly is the purpose of these cut/vented fenders anyways? I can imagine brake cooling, or air flow in/out of the engine compartment (?) and maybe clearance.... but what'um missing?
From my limited understanding it releases the high pressure that can build up in the wheel well. This helps to reducing lift and decrease drag.

It also gets rock chips and dirt down the side of your car.

Last edited by rancor; 03-29-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:22 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by rancor
From my limited understanding it releases the high pressure that can build up in the wheel well. This helps to reducing lift and decrease drag.

It also gets rock chips and dirt down the side of your car.
Thanks, rancor, that's about as plausible an explanation as any.

So if that's the true purpose, at what speed does this change anything? I would guess it could work at legal freeway speeds. Aero is a finicky thing... either it works or its a drag.

Sorry....
Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Thanks, rancor, that's about as plausible an explanation as any.

So if that's the true purpose, at what speed does this change anything? I would guess it could work at legal freeway speeds. Aero is a finicky thing... either it works or its a drag.

Sorry....
We are going well past my knowledge but I would expect it to work on the highway. My friend has an first generation honda insight and it has similar fender venting to reduce drag. If honda found it effective for a street car it will probably reduce drag under normal driving conditions.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by rancor
"Return of The Blob"....

Thanks for the follow up.... that's interesting. Gives me new insight on the function.

Sorry again. Hahahahaha.