Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat repair

Old 11-13-2016, 04:01 PM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat repair

Well, somehow my seat got ripped and I'm not quite sure how to repair it if at all possible.

Here is an image:
Seat repair-rfe1d9q.jpg

Is there anything I could do DIY to repair this? I don't care if it's perfect or not as the seat isn't exactly mint, I'm just not a huge fan of a sightly rip.

Thanks to anyone who reads this / replies.

Last edited by irbullet; 11-13-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Sorry to say, anything you do as DIY repair will look like ***. You're better off looking for a local upholstery shop and seeing how much they'd change to do a REAL repair.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:42 PM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry to say, anything you do as DIY repair will look like ***. You're better off looking for a local upholstery shop and seeing how much they'd change to do a REAL repair.
I figured so. The leather seems very hardened and abused by the sun on passenger side. I'd probably be best off buying a new seat or having it reupholstered at a proper shop anyways.

Thanks for your reply
Old 11-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The short answer: It’s not possible to esthetically repair cracks, tears, and worn areas on 350z leather seats.

A more detailed explanation: The OEM leather used in the 350z is a surfaced-dyed leather (as opposed to Aniline-dyed, which is dyed on both sides). Aniline dyeing is a better process and used on higher quality leather. Surface dyeing is used on lower quality leather, and the process is obvious because the leather’s color isn’t the same through the material.

Repairing surface-dyed leather is difficult if not even possible. The leather is almost as if it had been painted. That means a crack shows a different color, and the surface coat is brittle. This is very obvious on the tan colored surface-dyed shift *****, which quickly show wear (the undyed color shows through).

Search this Thread