Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom LED DRL Reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:53 PM
DACodeRed

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Custom LED DRL Reflectors

Ever since I bought my 350z I never had the front bumper reflectors. I had seen the LED daytime running lights version sold on amazon and it seemed simple enough so rather than spending the $150 I attempted to make some.

In case you're interested in doing the same here's a list of all the supplies I used.
  1. Plexiglass & something to cut/shape it
  2. Cool White LED Strip
  3. Red/Black Wire
  4. Crimp & Spade Connectors
  5. Soldering iron & Solder
  6. Fuse add-a-circuit

DAY 1
So my mom runs her own framing and art store so she has lots of scrap plexiglass that I was able to use. Since I didn't have any reflectors originally I had to make a rough template out of some scrap cardboard. I then traced the design onto the cardboard and transferred that design onto the plexiglass. I used a glass cutter to trim the plexiglass to the rough size of the reflector. Then using a dremel I used a cutting and sanding attachments to help shape the plexiglass. It took about an hour to get it to a shape I was happy with and fit well enough.

DAY 2
Now that I had the basic clear plexiglass "reflectors" made it was time to do the wiring. I had two options when it came to power. I could either wire them into the headlights so that they would come on when the headlights were on. This would have been the easiest since the power wires were right there. The other option was to find a temporary fuse, a fuse that only had power when the car was on. I was able to find one in the engine bay by the battery, I attached a photo to where the fuse box was since I didn't even know it existed.

After locating a temporary fuse, I used the add-a-circuit to connect a wire. I ran the wire down the side of the car, towards where the reflectors would be. I cut the wire to splice in an additional wire so that I could power both reflectors on the same add-a-circuit. I added female insulated spade connectors to both of the power wires, along with some heat shrink to help protect it from the elements. I also cut two small wires and did the following steps to both. I attached a ring connector to one end and another female spade connector to the other end. This is my ground, I just connected it to my aluminum under tray since it was the closest ground and I was running out of wire. Now the power and ground is all finished.

I then started working on the LED aspect of the build. I bought a strip of 5050 cool white waterproof LEDs off of amazon, the exact strip can be found HERE. I cut the strip at the designated cut marks every 18 LEDs till I had 4 equal length strips. I then removed some of the waterproofing material from the strip and soldered a power and ground wire onto each mini(18 LED) strip. I wired two strips together and used male spade connectors for the power and ground. I then drilled small holes into my plexiglass "reflectors" and attached the strips vertically using small zip ties. I then attached the reflectors back onto the bumper and attached the male and female connections.

Since the car was not powered at the time of making the connection the LEDs were off, as was expected. After turning the key to the accessory on the LEDs lit up and everything was working.

WHAT'S NEXT
After attaching everything I noticed that I messed up a little on the location of the driver side LED strips so I plan on correcting that, as well as frost the plexiglass so that it better diffuses the LED lights so you cannot see the individual LEDs. I also plan on getting a strip of amber LEDs and connecting them to the turn signals just as a little added feature. No plans other than that, I'd love to hear some suggestions though. I love making, well at least attempting to make, stuff on my own.

Thank you for reading, I've attached some photos of the completed project. I didn't take any during the process because I was racing to get it all done in two days. I'll attach some more photos of what the wiring and "reflectors" look like when they're not on.

FUSE BOX
Custom LED DRL Reflectors-w02t8q4.jpg

"FINISHED" PROJECT
Custom LED DRL Reflectors-kg25jat.jpg
Custom LED DRL Reflectors-ih7ltly.jpg
Custom LED DRL Reflectors-vjqpt7x.jpg
Custom LED DRL Reflectors-czal4si.jpg
Custom LED DRL Reflectors-ahop8xl.jpg

Last edited by DACodeRed; 12-07-2016 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gringott (04-25-2017)