Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting muffler and exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting muffler and exhaust tips

So I want the visible part of my Injen SES exhaust to be gloss black. Anyone had really good experiences with a particular type of high temp paint? Any brands/types I should avoid?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian777
So I want the visible part of my Injen SES exhaust to be gloss black. Anyone had really good experiences with a particular type of high temp paint? Any brands/types I should avoid?
Rear mufflers never get hot enough to destroy paint. Every car I get, first thing I do while inspecting underneath is to clean and paint. That includes the exhaust pipes and mufflers from the mid-pipe back. You can use any ol' rattle can paint you want. As you approach the Y-Pipe and fore of that, you'd best use high heat paint.

Before:

After:

General satin black from Blowe's Or Home Despot. Still looks the same after 8-9 months of sitting outside and driving in all weather conditions.

When Spring arrives and my Shiro build-out continues, the rest of the undercarriage will get the full treatment beyond the visible segments.

No, I did NOT paint the S-Tune rear muffler on my 33.... (But the OEM pipes and muffler were painted black.)

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-06-2017 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sebastian777 (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about auto body paint? Can I have my paint guy use the same paint that he did on my mirrors, door handles, and spoiler? I'm wanting to do muffler back.