Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Soft Top will not completely open by itself

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:21 PM
lladosfitness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Soft Top will not completely open by itself

Hey guys, first hello I'm new in this forum I just bought a 350z and I'm from Los Angeles.

My soft top opens but i need to help the soft part completely go inside the hard top and the hard top at the end of process will not completely click and close if I don't push it

Pretty sure I can fix this somehow, thought of putting oil somewhere but not too sure... Here is a video !

Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

The soft top has 4 different motors which are notorious for causing problems. Usually, the 5th bow motor is the culprit. Some have solved them by lubricating everything, but usually this is just a temporary fix and one of the motors will need to be replaced eventually.

This thread has a lot of suggestions. Check out the roadster section. It might help you out. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Replace the elastic bands, that will most likely cure the issue, and is the cheapest route. They stretch with time - I actually used small bungee cords and the top worked better than when I first got the car, even in colder weather.

Dont keep trying to have the motor do the extra work or you will definitely need a 5th bow motor.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 PM
lladosfitness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
Replace the elastic bands, that will most likely cure the issue, and is the cheapest route. They stretch with time - I actually used small bungee cords and the top worked better than when I first got the car, even in colder weather.

Dont keep trying to have the motor do the extra work or you will definitely need a 5th bow motor.
thx for the answer mate! By elastic bands u mean the ones on the sides on top of our head? So in the roof. And i just buy them in Nissan? Or you reccomend other place stronger ones. Sorry man i have absolutely no clue of this
Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Stop.

It's not the motors like EVERYONE suggests.

I have the same problem. Well had. There is an action locking bar that goes across the top. It's a thin black bar about right over your head when closed. The elastic bands they used to pull it when closing are probably shot.

That bar needs to move back about 2" while closing. If not you'd soft top will fold and that's what you hear trying to get smushed.

From the completely closed position. Put your fingers on that bar. When it's about half way through it's closing process it will unlock and you will be able to move it. Help it move the 2" backwards and hold it the longest you can. Usually until it's like 3/4 of the way closed. Then let go and it will collapse full.

It took me 4 months trying to figure this out. Mostly because it would close half the time and then not for me
Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Also don't keep trying to close it jammed.

That's what I did and it pinches holes where the bar is pinching your top.