Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350 Roadster trunk doesn't pop open

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 PM
JnBZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Roadster trunk doesn't pop open

Shouldn't the trunk lid pop open? Is that a function of the struts or the springs by the latch? Any quick fixes?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

It should pop up a little bit so that you can manually open it, but it shouldn't open completely when you hit the trunk release button.

If it's not popping up enough to manually open it, check the springs by the latch or the latch itself to make sure it's properly aligned.
The following users liked this post:
JnBZ (02-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Add a couple of pennies in the rubber spring carriers on each side of the trunk. this should be enough to lift the trunk beyond the latch.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:15 AM
JnBZ

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Add a couple of pennies in the rubber spring carriers on each side of the trunk. this should be enough to lift the trunk beyond the latch.

Thanks, Sam. My roadster is an '04, it doesn't have springs on the sides of the trunk. It has struts on the top corners of the trunk opening near the convertible top. Do those strut cylinders have springs in them?

There are two springs under rubber covers on the lid on each side of the U shaped post that engages with the latch mechanism inside the trunk. I did add two pennies to each of those springs. The change (pardon the pun) was barely noticeable.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by JnBZ
Thanks, Sam. My roadster is an '04, it doesn't have springs on the sides of the trunk. It has struts on the top corners of the trunk opening near the convertible top. Do those strut cylinders have springs in them?

There are two springs under rubber covers on the lid on each side of the U shaped post that engages with the latch mechanism inside the trunk. I did add two pennies to each of those springs. The change (pardon the pun) was barely noticeable.
The struts in the top corners operate using gas pressure and the geometry of them is designed to help open the trunk once you begin to lift it up and keep it up. They may help a little bit to get the trunk to pop up, but I think the springs by the latch are your main culprit. It seems to be a pretty common problem.

The nice thing is that the pop-up springs and the trunk struts aren't terribly expensive, so you can replace both without breaking the bank.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM
JnBZ

Thanks, Heel. When my trunk pops, I can barely get the tips of my fingers onto the edge of the lid to lift it. It's only 1/4" at best. How far does yours pop open?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 AM
Heel Til I Die

I don't quite remember how high it originally popped up, but I put an aftermarket spoiler on it so it barely moves now with the added weight.

I just deal with it and I only usually keep my car cover in the trunk since real estate is limited back there.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 AM
JnBZ

Ok, thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

JnBZ I would get new springs and then add coins if you still need to. Adding more than 2 coins can damage(dent) the sheet metal and make the problem worse.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM
JnBZ

Thanks, rancor. The local dealer wants $110 for the springs. I can get suspension springs for my Alfa for about as much. I'm gonna pass and just deal with it.