Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use normal 194 LED bulbs in my parking lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Hamy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use normal 194 LED bulbs in my parking lights?

Before I got through the hastle of getting to the parking lights in my Z I have a question. I've read about the LED bulbs from Ares for the parking lights and I wonder what makes them different than say a normal 194/168 LED bulb? Does the Z take a special fitment bulb? From what I've read they are just regular 194/168 bulbs used for the parking lights but I could be wrong. Will any 194 bulb fit in this location or just what? Any info would be helpful.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:33 AM
ZRiCaN

Any 194 bulb will fit in this slot, whether its LED or halogen, the 194 is the slot fitting. 194 bulbs are I think the most commonly used bulb throughout all manufactuers. On the Z alone they are the parking, license plate, and cargo area lights. I also use them on my trailer, and my truck. What Ares is offering is a light that fits in the 194 fitting but a brighter LED to give it a better appearance.
That sound about right to the rest of you guys, please feel free to correct any mistake I may have made.
ZRiCaN
Old 10-25-2004, 09:01 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ZRiCaN
Any 194 bulb will fit in this slot, whether its LED or halogen, the 194 is the slot fitting. 194 bulbs are I think the most commonly used bulb throughout all manufactuers. On the Z alone they are the parking, license plate, and cargo area lights. I also use them on my trailer, and my truck. What Ares is offering is a light that fits in the 194 fitting but a brighter LED to give it a better appearance.
That sound about right to the rest of you guys, please feel free to correct any mistake I may have made.
ZRiCaN
Sounds good to me.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Hamy

The reason I ask is...I can't understand why people pay $30 or whatever it is for LED bulbs in the 194 size. I'm sure his product is great but...I use $5 LED bulbs with 6 LEDs per bulb in my Maxima and it seems to get the job done. I just figured that the Z had some sort of different design in the bulb socket or something.

Here is a picture of my Maxima. Unless I'm mistaken I dont see how Ares bulbs could be much brigher than these.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:47 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Hamy
The reason I ask is...I can't understand why people pay $30 or whatever it is for LED bulbs in the 194 size. I'm sure his product is great but...I use $5 LED bulbs with 6 LEDs per bulb in my Maxima and it seems to get the job done. I just figured that the Z had some sort of different design in the bulb socket or something.

Here is a picture of my Maxima. Unless I'm mistaken I dont see how Ares bulbs could be much brigher than these.

I have the same bulbs you do from superlumination or autolumination and also have ares Luxeon LED's. The Luxeons are brighter but don't spread the light as well as the big ones sold by autolumination.com

Victor
Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 AM
dkny_boi

Have either of you tried the led bulbs for signal lights? I was just curious if they would cause the blinker to blink twice as fast.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Hamy

I have the LED signals in my Maxima...yes they blink twice as fast. They are bright but not worth it because of the "hyper blinker" effect.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:29 AM
dkny_boi

ah.. that's too bad I was hoping they might work fine without adding in the load resistors. I wanna get a set for my brake lights, there shouldn't be any problems would there?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:49 PM
juhko

I think you can alter them to draw the same load as a normal incadescent bulb (as Ares has successfully done), but it might be kind of hard to do if you don't know what you are doing.

Hey Hamy, those parking lights look darn bright, where'd you get them?

BTW...very clean looking Maxima
Old 10-28-2004, 04:48 AM
Hamy

I got my bulbs from Superlumination. They sell a great product. The ones in that picture are 5 LEDs...he makes the whole way up to 9 LED bulbs to fit the 194 socket. Not to mention the price is very good.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:31 AM
mgl

Originally posted by dkny_boi
ah.. that's too bad I was hoping they might work fine without adding in the load resistors. I wanna get a set for my brake lights, there shouldn't be any problems would there?
i have leds in my brake lights and have not had any problems.

they look nice, matches the 3rd brake light nicely. (i mean it turns on and off just as fast, no delay like a regular bulb.)
Old 10-28-2004, 12:15 PM
maxpowers

How many LED's are you using for your brake lights?

Are you using the ones from autolumination?

Thanks,

Originally posted by mgl

they look nice, matches the 3rd brake light nicely. (i mean it turns on and off just as fast, no delay like a regular bulb.)

Last edited by maxpowers; 10-28-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:27 PM
mgl

Originally posted by maxpowers
How many LED's are you using for your brake lights?

Are you using the ones from autolumination?

Thanks,
i think it was a 9led or 12led bulb in red. not sure, i would have to go see in order to be sure. i know that if you get too many leds, the bulb won't fit into the hole in the back of the taillight.

i got the bulbs from superlumination.com

Last edited by mgl; 10-28-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:51 AM
maxpowers

Thanks, they sell 9, 12 & 15 LED in the 7443 (dual filament) format.

I will send them an e-mail to see if the 15 LED light is any larger than a normal 7443 light.

I wonder if there is any difference between red and clear LEDs once they are behind the red tail light housing.

Originally posted by mgl
i think it was a 9led or 12led bulb in red. not sure, i would have to go see in order to be sure. i know that if you get too many leds, the bulb won't fit into the hole in the back of the taillight.

i got the bulbs from superlumination.com
Old 10-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Bottom

I have the 15 LED turn signals for the fronts. They fit fine in the housing fine, but I had to "persuade" the bulb into the connection. I had to add a resistor to stop the hyper flashing. I got the resistor in Ebay for $7 each. I like them a lot. They are mostly clear, so there is not yellow reflection. When they're on you can see the distinct forward facing lights and the side lights within the bulb assembly light most of the housing.

I also have the "Non-Ares" 194 white LEDS for the parking lights. I think that they are bright enough and I hardly ever just use the parking lights.

Last edited by Bottom; 10-29-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 PM
dkny_boi

Originally posted by mgl

That's exactly why i wanted the led bulbs for my taillights

Could you also tell me if it's a similar shade of red as with the original bulbs, or deeper... not as bright...

maxpowers, if you could... post what they tell you about the size of the 15led bulb compared to regular bulb? I'm curious about the red led or white led too... another site that sold led bulbs recommended the use of red leds even if it's behind a red lense... i was thinking that because the light is much more blue looking than a regular bulb, the colour might look weird w/ a white led behind the red lense
Old 10-29-2004, 11:24 PM
juhko

Originally posted by Bottom
I have the 15 LED turn signals for the fronts. They fit fine in the housing fine, but I had to "persuade" the bulb into the connection. I had to add a resistor to stop the hyper flashing. I got the resistor in Ebay for $7 each. I like them a lot. They are mostly clear, so there is not yellow reflection. When they're on you can see the distinct forward facing lights and the side lights within the bulb assembly light most of the housing.

I also have the "Non-Ares" 194 white LEDS for the parking lights. I think that they are bright enough and I hardly ever just use the parking lights.

So the bulbs you bought from superlumination had to be persuaded? As in modified to fit?

Do you actually have to add a resistor or whatever to it? Did you have to solder it on?
What a hassle...

By "most of the housing" being lit, do you mean that it's hard to see the bulb flash from the side of the car?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

i have the same bulbs, they fitted fine, front/rear turn signals, reverse signals, parking lights.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:08 PM
dkny_boi

Did you put resistors inline to stop the quick blinking?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:18 PM
mgl

Originally posted by dkny_boi
That's exactly why i wanted the led bulbs for my taillights

Could you also tell me if it's a similar shade of red as with the original bulbs, or deeper... not as bright...

maxpowers, if you could... post what they tell you about the size of the 15led bulb compared to regular bulb? I'm curious about the red led or white led too... another site that sold led bulbs recommended the use of red leds even if it's behind a red lense... i was thinking that because the light is much more blue looking than a regular bulb, the colour might look weird w/ a white led behind the red lense

i honestly don't think its as bright. a little deeper red, IMO. but its definitely still visible.

Quick Reply: Can I use normal 194 LED bulbs in my parking lights?