Notices

How to do Twins right the first time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonathanAboona
stupid question.....
if i was to pull the motor myself, should i tear the motor down myself and send the parts off to the shop along with all the forged goodies i purchased or will they charge me the same...... i put the car in the garage already for the winter and dont really need to have it until next spring. Here is a layout of my plan.

First over the next 2 months whenever I have time, just slowly take the front end apart and eventually the motor

Next tear the motor down and get all the codes for all the bearings etc and order all the parts that I can afford to get rods pistons yada yada yda. All i want to be at is the 650-750 daily driver strength range even though I will likley keep it tuend down to 450-500

now here is where I dont know what to do
I mean I am decent with cars and have alot of buddies who are good with them, if time wasn't a issue is it possible for a person to build the motor themselve ? or is it just too hard and another factor in this is how much would a shop charge if i said here is my torn down block, here are the parts put it back together ?

next I would put the motor back in myself.

Another really stupid question, I cant afford the actual focred induction yet, if i went to a low compression piston but was driving N/A still for another year or so is this possible. or will the motor not function properly, is there any way i can adjust the air fuel until the F/I arrives. I am guessing if I am running low compression N/A the car will actually perform less until it arrived, how much less and like i said above is this possible or will it destroy the motor ?

I am open for suggestions on what people think i should do
Limited budget yet can do without the Z for a good 6 months
i tore down and built my motor myself. easy to do if you have the tools and a good service manual. if you decide you don't want to reassemble yourself, i would let the machine shop pull it apart, unless they are very experienced with the vq35. if you drop off a bunch of parts unassembled, they might have a tough time getting it all back together correctly seeing the vq is still pretty new. the machine shop i used to do the block prep and balancing, had never worked on a vq before, but does a ton of race motors. if you have the time, confidence, tools and patience, and good ability to follow the service manual, you may want to try yourself.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM
3kgt48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by one3502nv
Good post for the basics however, not to be a troll, but we all know there are many people who have run forced induction with no engine problems, and although the info is good if you wish to build the motor, i feel it will scare some people away for FI land. I myself have over 78,000 miles on my Z with 8000 of those on my APS TT kit with my stock block with no problems.. Pushing well over 400 whp. And these are beat, hard, miles.... And my only other comment, is that a engine builder should be able to do the job in a bout a week or two, not 4-6... Thats all! Enjoy!

You ARE so right man. I am super scared about doing any FI mods now. I don't know much about VQ Eng but come on if you want to take you engine's guts out and build the whole thing ans spend all this money why not just sell the Z and buy a Used porsche 911 or a Vett Z06. personally I love my ZR more than the vett. I was planning to Go SC next year like stillen or something but I was just gonna go with my stock engine but you guys Scare the S>>>t out of me!!!!

Do you guys ( all the FI Expert) think that going Sc with a safe boost like I want at least an increase of 80hp to the wheels is a dumb idea without rebuilding your engine ??????

Last edited by 3kgt48; 02-24-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 3kgt48
You ARE so right man. I am super scared about doing any FI mods now. I know know much about VQ Eng but come on if you want to take you engine's guts out and build the whole thing ans spend all this money why not just sell the Z and buy a Used porsche 911 or a Vett Z06.
I some what agree with you, but there's nothing like having a car that is so modded out that it totally suprises the chit out of people. I parked my car yesterday in front of a chicken kitchen where I went to eat lunch and I couldn't believe how many people kept walking up to my car to jock it! The best thing about a modded a car like a G or Z is blowing the doors of that 911 or Z06 etc. Not that I would not ever own one of those cause they are definately bad **** cars, but with my current mods I could have definately bought the new Z06. Minus the *cough* rape adjustment, I mean market adjustment price.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Zilvia

yeah but only a couple of us could blow the doors of a new Zo6........

even a old Z06 can be fast for about 5k(i mean pretty fast)
Old 06-12-2006, 04:47 PM
woodstock300s

hey what would be a safe psi and hp numbers to run on the stock internals?
Old 06-12-2006, 05:03 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

to be totally safe...none

some have pushed the limits, some still holding strong...they can chime in here
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM
carlosprats

Man awsome explanation, really nice . Now could you tell us how much money we are looking at by the end of a project like this? Because for what i have seen including the labor cost you are aiming at at least $25.000 - $30.000 with out including transmission, clutch and considering the stock differential etc will hold that power. Am I wrong or around the rigth numbers.
because if it is like that I would rather get that money to buy a damn phorse or vette that comes more close to that power that we are trying to reach. Do not get me wrong , the 350Z is a bad *** looking car but we are paying for all those upgrades more of what the car costs. As I said A Porshe or ZO6 vette are around that cost even lower a brand new vette or an used porshe. Just a humble opinion.

Last edited by carlosprats; 06-27-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:19 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by carlosprats
As I said A Porshe or ZO6 vette are around that cost even lower a brand new vette or an used porshe. Just a humble opinion.

Yes you're figures are right. Figure $30K after all is said on done plus $30K for a brand new Z. A brand new Z06 is selling @ $90K and will definately give 600whp VQ35's a run for their money. MSRP is around $70K but a lot of dealers have a $20K mark up over MSRP for demand. As far as the Porsche the only Porsche (there are more, but even more expensive than the 911) that will compete with a fully build VQ35 is 911 Turbo. They cost $130K brand new and a used one sells for $90K, but the 911 turbo won't be as fast as a fully built VQ35 unless you start modding and mods for a Porsche a really expensive.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:21 AM
CESAROTORRES

Man awsome explanation, really nice . Now could you tell us how much money we are looking at by the end of a project like this? Because for what i have seen including the labor cost you are aiming at at least $25.000 - $30.000 with out including transmission, clutch and considering the stock differential etc will hold that power. Am I wrong or around the rigth numbers.
because if it is like that I would rather get that money to buy a damn phorse or vette that comes more close to that power that we are trying to reach. Do not get me wrong , the 350Z is a bad *** looking car but we are paying for all those upgrades more of what the car costs. As I said A Porshe or ZO6 vette are around that cost even lower a brand new vette or an used porshe. Just a humble opinion.

I agree with Carlos, I have over 73,000 dollars on my Z. when I could buy somthing like this, with that money. Faster or slower still a Porsche.Anyways I still love my ZR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...01669971QQrdZ1
Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 PM
carlosprats

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Yes you're figures are right. Figure $30K after all is said on done plus $30K for a brand new Z. A brand new Z06 is selling @ $90K and will definately give 600whp VQ35's a run for their money. MSRP is around $70K but a lot of dealers have a $20K mark up over MSRP for demand. As far as the Porsche the only Porsche (there are more, but even more expensive than the 911) that will compete with a fully build VQ35 is 911 Turbo. They cost $130K brand new and a used one sells for $90K, but the 911 turbo won't be as fast as a fully built VQ35 unless you start modding and mods for a Porsche a really expensive.
Well I will wait for them to come down. It was the same with the new mustangs gt 5000.00 over MSPR price. they will come down eventually. It is just a matter of time. let the rich boys get them first I can wait.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 PM
carlosprats

Heheheh check the vette price . i bought my car here so it is accurate and they stand for it.
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false
Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by CESAROTORRES

I agree with Carlos, I have over 73,000 dollars on my Z. when I could buy somthing like this, with that money. Faster or slower still a Porsche.Anyways I still love my ZR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...01669971QQrdZ1
I would never buy a turbo less Porsche and someday I will own a 996TT.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Gman2004

Heheheh check the vette price . i bought my car here so it is accurate and they stand for it.
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false
That's not too bad. Maybe they are coming down. It's still over MSPR though.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
carlosprats

That's not too bad. Maybe they are coming down. It's still over MSPR though.
I know they just came out but rememver in car land all what goes up eventually has to come down. Force of gravity Let the rich boys spend their money on them. when demands slows down in maybe a year or two we the middle boys will jump on in and get them
Old 07-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

What ever happened to Ernie aka GoingDeep??
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
What ever happened to Ernie aka GoingDeep??

He is serching for Bin Landen.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

He is serching for Bin Landen.

Under Water??
Old 07-19-2006, 04:56 PM
carlosprats

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
to be totally safe...none

some have pushed the limits, some still holding strong...they can chime in here
have anyone been able to get a hold of Nissan HP & torque capacity for a VQ35 engine. Meaning is there anyplace where we can get information of how much are this engines able to hold with the stock metals, before breaking point? The question is valid if there is such information abailable for the common people
Old 07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
CESAROTORRES

have anyone been able to get a hold of Nissan HP & torque capacity for a VQ35 engine. Meaning is there anyplace where we can get information of how much are this engines able to hold with the stock metals, before breaking point? The question is valid if there is such information abailable for the common people
Carlos,

I had the information that Peter at APS sent to me but I can find it now. E-mail peter we can provide that info to you.

Cesar
350ZR APS TT
Old 07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
carlosprats

Carlos,

I had the information that Peter at APS sent to me but I can find it now. E-mail peter we can provide that info to you.

Cesar
350ZR APS TT
well glad to heaR THAT , where is the e-mail though

Quick Reply: How to do Twins right the first time!!!