Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vq35 dyno numbers no adding up

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:49 AM
zemaestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vq35 dyno numbers no adding up

Greetings. I have been out of the loop so long that I recently decided to get back to the forums and start some trouble. I started building my old z32 race car in 1999. I had multiple transmission issues and after dealing the level 10 (crooks and liars) for the better part of a year, the best I had ran was a 10.79 @ 128. My combination was far from sorted. The car weighed 3250 with me in it (I think). The car sat for atleast 2-3 years before I got it back out and decided to go with a domestic transmission. The car went 10.3's right away and I eventually got it running 10.2's every pass at 133 m.p.h. That particular car dynoed 480 at AAM @ 18-19 lbs of boost. I know that smallish turbos(such as the APS) will not make much more power past that point. I regularly ran 22 p.s.i. and on my last couple of outings I ran 25 p.s.i. and picked up nothing. We all know that trap speed directly indicates horsepower and the VQ numbers are not adding up. Even with a bad launch(lots of wheelspin), trap speeds, for the most part will remain very close. I was making around 600hp at the crank and a touch over 500@ the wheels. I also had a fairly loose converter. My point is a car making over 600hp at the wheels and weighing about 3450 with driver should eclipse 140mph. A car such as VRT's should run close to 145 mph. I know it's all been discussed before. BTW z32 were fast, but noone knew how to drive them. I never once had wheelhop on good tires and my stock turbo/injector car ran 12.0 @116 in like 1995-96. Knowing what I know now, I could easily run 11.7's at the same trap with stock turbo's injectors. I have noticed some people claiming like 400+ to the wheels with like 113 trapspeeds. I don't know if it's the dynos, the drivers or what. I will be buying somebodys already built car and running 9's. Sleeves would be great, stock body preferable, around $30k. Later doods....
Old 11-03-2006, 11:11 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uh so was there question in there somewhere?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:13 AM
chimmike

yeah, what was your question:? I ran a 114mph trap with a 1.9 60' on street tires running 30psi in them, and a TN ST at 8psi. 12.5 was my ET.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:13 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

I admit, I'm not a `good driver for drag racing, my fun is on the road courses! I ran a 12.4 at 118 on drag radials with 550rwhp...my 60ft sucked! 2.0

-TODD
Old 11-03-2006, 03:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

this car has issues with drag racing

it really isn't ideal for it
mostly it's suspension issues

I gave up on focusing this car on drag racing a long time ago
Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see your in Hagerstown-you run at MasonDixon? Truth is this-love me or hate me for saying it,most of these guys spend $20+ on motor builds and cant backup into a parking spot, let alone dragrace. We have yet to see a "good" driver IMO see a dragstrip with over 500whp...they would rather compare dyno numbers online. Trust me when I tell you 550whp or less driven well will get a 6MT (not an auto with work) down the 1/4 in the 10 sec range, a handful will do it next season. Remember also TT Z's are inthe 3350+ range without drivers in them, so you cant directly compare them to your lighter 300ZX.

BTW-there is nothing wrong with this suspension to hook a nice 1.5/1.6 60ft with nothing other than decent power/axles/slicks...people that say that dont know what they are talking about....
Old 11-03-2006, 05:21 PM
zemaestro

Default Word....Alberto

Yes, I'm famaliar with mason-dixon. My grandfather and his brother opened it back in the early 60's. It is still owned my family, but operated by a gentlemen that has an eternal lease on the whole package. I'm pretty sure the car will react favorably to drag-racing, similar to the z32. I am assuming you have been to mason-dixon then? What has your car run? My racecar wasn't so light, even stripped, and that is one reason I'm excited about the 350z. I know it will be relatively easy to get it below 3000lbs. What really getting at is these numbers. I have to have some baselines to go off of before I build, or buy. Trust me, I hope that they accurate, because it will make running 9's really easy. I just don't understand why noone has really focused on going fast yet, just making a car soooo fast that it's scary on the street. So who is the tuning guru within driving distance of H-town? Peace....

T
Old 11-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

No real GURU's in MD/VA, although you do have options. I went to the best IMO to the shop in my sig. I have 3 seconds of acceleration down M/D dragway, 3rd gear blew up as soon as I hit it. Ive raced at Capitol, MIR and Cecil, people at Mason/Dixon were the best by far.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey Travis...Long time

There have been a few guys running good times in the 350's. I know Performance Nissan was running 9's in semi street trim.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM
zemaestro

Default Ah kyle.....

Your just the guy I want to talk to....I had emailed SGP looking for you, but to no avail. I was wondering about your old car and my new sponsorship....Since Matt's in jail for another year or so, I'm gonna need a hook up. To sleeve or not to sleeve, that is the real question........greddy's with upgraded housings and wheels? Aps extreme, what the hell am I doing? B.T.W. what is the spec on the Aps extreme turbos? I know what you did with your upgraded greddy's so greddy is looking like a viable option.....peace...

T
Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by zemaestro
I just don't understand why noone has really focused on going fast yet, just making a car soooo fast that it's scary on the street.
Not everyone builds their cars to run it down a 1/4 track. Sometimes our builds are untentional like in my case and many others where the stock motor blew/bent rods. Just cause we don't race our cars down a1/4 track doesn't mean we shouldn't drive them or spend $20K+ on them. It's a hobby and we do it cause we love everything about it. I've never gone to the track, but I street race almost every fuggin time I get in my car. Yeah I said it. I STREET RACE. People telling me I wasted money on my car and that I shouldn't have it because I don't race it on a track is like me telling guys who don't work out and aren't at least 200lbs at 7% body fat that they shouldn't be able to date/*** hot chicks. Just cause you don't work out doesn't mean you shouldn't hook up with hot chicks. So the point I am trying to make is that I work out and am a pretty big dude, but I don't go around telling scrany ****** that they don't deserve the hot chicks they are with and that their girls deserve a real man not a puss, although I may think that in my head.

Last edited by Gman2004; 11-03-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:53 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zemaestro
Your just the guy I want to talk to....I had emailed SGP looking for you, but to no avail. I was wondering about your old car and my new sponsorship....Since Matt's in jail for another year or so, I'm gonna need a hook up. To sleeve or not to sleeve, that is the real question........greddy's with upgraded housings and wheels? Aps extreme, what the hell am I doing? B.T.W. what is the spec on the Aps extreme turbos? I know what you did with your upgraded greddy's so greddy is looking like a viable option.....peace...

T
Travis,

LOL...yeah now that you know where I am hit me up anytime

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2006, 06:10 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Not everyone builds their cars to run it down a 1/4 track. Sometimes our builds are intentional like in my case and many others where the stock motor blew/bent rods. Just cause we don't race our cars down a 1/4 track doesn't mean we shouldn't drive them or spend $20K+ on them. It's a hobby and we do it cause we love everything about it. I've never gone to the track, but I street race almost every fuggin time I get in my car. Yeah I said it. I STREET RACE. People telling me I wasted money on my car and that I shouldn't have it because I don't race it on a track is like me telling guys who don't work out and aren't at least 200lbs at 7% body fat that they shouldn't be able to date/*** hot chicks. Just cause you don't work out doesn't mean you shouldn't hook up with hot chicks. So the point I am trying to make is that I work out and am a pretty big dude, but I don't go around telling scrany ****** that they don't deserve the hot chicks they are with and that their girls deserve a real man not a puss, although I may think that in my head.
yeap... i wanna agree with you Alberto most of the time but no on this one, drag racing ain't all... i think its really good that you got skills there, but there is a lot more that makes a good driver.. from safety, to time attacks, auto-x, canyon drives...etc etc.....If you say you ain't got no respect to someone who can't make 11s with 550 whp then that is just not right.... can you drift? i can actually decently ..... but what if someone starts saying you can't drive because you cant drift and all you can do is drive straight with "kunfu" shifting? that wouldn't be right either. From what i have heard and seen i think you are a pretty good driver Alberto, but not jsut because you4 1/4 times =]...but they are pretty amazing anyways btw

ITs all in the fun.... almost the same concept of knowing everything.... yes you should have some knowledge enough to point you to what you wanna upgrade in the future, but it shouldn't be the case where you have to know all the science behind something. Do you really care at all the science that goes into building the insulation or septic piping in your house? no you just care the sheat goes where its suppose to go (i heard someone make this statement b4)

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-04-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:21 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Talking

Not everyone builds their cars to run it down a 1/4 track. Sometimes our builds are untentional like in my case and many others where the stock motor blew/bent rods. Just cause we don't race our cars down a1/4 track doesn't mean we shouldn't drive them or spend $20K+ on them. It's a hobby and we do it cause we love everything about it. I've never gone to the track, but I street race almost every fuggin time I get in my car. Yeah I said it. I STREET RACE. People telling me I wasted money on my car and that I shouldn't have it because I don't race it on a track is like me telling guys who don't work out and aren't at least 200lbs at 7% body fat that they shouldn't be able to date/*** hot chicks. Just cause you don't work out doesn't mean you shouldn't hook up with hot chicks. So the point I am trying to make is that I work out and am a pretty big dude, but I don't go around telling scrany ****** that they don't deserve the hot chicks they are with and that their girls deserve a real man not a puss, although I may think that in my head.
hilarious!

I'm right there with you on that one George, I built my car for street and road course performance, could really care less about drag racing, it was never appealing to me, and I have never focused enough time/cared to practice and get good at it...If I wanted to drag race, I'd buy an old mustang with rusted doors...

To the drag racers; go out there and represent, and get some great times...but no need to assume evryone else with a powerful car WANTS to drag race

-TODD
Old 11-04-2006, 06:59 AM
GfortheCPE

1/4 mile racing is fun but it is much more fun to road race or race from a roll on the highway...at least to me.

I take my car to the drag strip so I can see my trap improvements after a mod....cheaper and more fun than a dyno.

I can't fathom people believing that the 1/4 mile is the only or ULTIMATE way to judge the performance of a vehicle......
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 AM
ct350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time..lmao...stop watching movies people!!! this car has so much potential in ever aspect(drag,track,street) just have fun with it and stop crying about it not being the best car ever made!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Alberto
BTW-there is nothing wrong with this suspension to hook a nice 1.5/1.6 60ft with nothing other than decent power/axles/slicks...people that say that dont know what they are talking about....
well I guess I must be thinking of something totally different cause I know you might consider 11's to be the fastest thing in the world in the 1/4 mile, but I mean, you have to admit, even with 500-600whp, if someone can get into the 10's with slicks, they're going to just barely do it. To really get deep into the 10's or into the 9's you can try adding more and more power, but sooner or later you're going to need a suspension setup that has nothing to do with the stock suspension.

Look at what Charles from CJM is doing - he's got the right idea with his drag racing setup that he's been putting together

And I agree that if anyone wants to build a car they enjoy driving then that's their business. At least it's better than someone just buying a porsche and never touching anything on it or learning how their car or any performance car works. But then again, maybe they have better things to do

Last edited by sentry65; 11-04-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:40 AM
bigbri

I'm happy running what I've ran...I know I can get into 10's but I don't want to make my car strictly for drag....I like it to turn also..I like to have the best of both worlds...I'd rather drive my car to the track run what I run and go run the same speed on the street. I run drs all the time..I don't want to have to change rims and tire on and off...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

That literally made me laugh out loud Jorge I knew that comment would stir up some people...

Sentry-no one knows how deep into the 10's some people will get. Partly agree with you though, Id be surprised to see deeper than 10.7-10.8 in a 6MT street car with most of its interior in it.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Alberto
That literally made me laugh out loud Jorge I knew that comment would stir up some people...
yeah I was trying to be funny, but it's true I am better at bodybuilding than am I am at driving.

Quick Reply: vq35 dyno numbers no adding up