Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ32de

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 AM
tilleys99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ32de

Well for you Z guys i figured i would post this here. I have a 99 maxima thats boosted with a 6spd 2k2 max trans and a 2k2 VQ35 block. I just got it running with my new setup, heres a break down of it.

VQ35de block and pistons
VQ30de crank and rods (soon too be VQ30det due too bigger rod mains and stronger crank/rods)
JWT vq35 cams
VK45de titanium valves
ported heads
ARP head bolts

This setup yeilds a 8.5to1 comp and will rev alot better then the VQ35de due too less stroke. I have seen a stock internal VQ30de rev too 7500 all day long and there is a guy who was revving up too 8k till his oil pump blew apart.

I have a body/performance shop in PA if anyone is interested in this swap.

www.elevatedbodyworks.com
Old 11-03-2005, 09:00 AM
barthelb
Master

Seems like your going backwards instead of forward. There doesn't seem to be a need to rev to 8k. Many can rev to 7200 which is sufficient. What kind of power numbers are you seeing.

Im a lil worried because your taking from the stroke so you would seem to lose a lil torque which is what we all like in our engines.

Pictures too please it does sound interesting.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 AM
tilleys99

Originally Posted by barthelb
Seems like your going backwards instead of forward. There doesn't seem to be a need to rev to 8k. Many can rev to 7200 which is sufficient. What kind of power numbers are you seeing.

Im a lil worried because your taking from the stroke so you would seem to lose a lil torque which is what we all like in our engines.

Pictures too please it does sound interesting.
gotta remember the 99 max has a vq30de which is a awesome motor and is way smoother then a vq35 I have a VQ35 in my GFs 97 maxima and all motor with a bunch of bolts ons i did a 13.3@103.7. I just got it running this past sunday so i dont have dyno #s yet but i will. BTW i eliminated the VTCs too run off VQ30de ecu with JWT program for 555cc inj/boost/cams/low comp/7200 rev/Z32 MAF

Last edited by tilleys99; 11-03-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by tilleys99
gotta remember the 99 max has a vq30de which is a awesome motor and is way smoother then a vq35 I have a VQ35 in my GFs 97 maxima and all motor with a bunch of bolts ons i did a 13.3@103.7. I just got it running this past sunday so i dont have dyno #s yet but i will. BTW i eliminated the VTCs too run off VQ30de ecu with JWT program for 555cc inj/boost/cams/low comp/7200 rev/Z32 MAF
So, let me know if I'm missing something here... You're doing this to a Maxima? Are you in that much of a hurry to pick up your kids from soccer practice?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

haha
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
tilleys99

Originally Posted by taurran
So, let me know if I'm missing something here... You're doing this to a Maxima? Are you in that much of a hurry to pick up your kids from soccer practice?

Well ha ha your Z engine was originally desiged from the 95-99 maxima VQ30de so if it wasnt for a maxima you wouldnt have a VQ

There is a guy with a maxima with a VQ30de (stock internals) running mid 11s so what do you have too say about that.

Last edited by tilleys99; 11-03-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

don't be a dick.. without the maxima there would be no Z
Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by doug
Since when?

Last I checked, the heritage of the Z goes back longer than the Max. Either way, Nissan wouldn't have been without an engine design if the Max wasn't around.........it's pretty baseless to say that the only reason the Z is out is because of the Max.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Matt93SE

The point was, the VQ35DE originated in the Maxima as the VQ30DE.
what that means to this thread is: absolutely nothing.

for higher RPM applications, you'd want a shorter stroke. this yields lower maximum piston speed for less stress on the crank- assuming the valvetrain and oil pump can take the higher redline.

the long stroke is great for torque and low end, but kills the top end. This is where Tilley is making progress. anyone who's done much on a road course will appreciate a higher rev limit, whether NA or turbo.

Look at it as another option from someone who is actually trying new things, not some ******* that's just doing the same things over and over, hoping for different results.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:10 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
not some ******* that's just doing the same things over and over, hoping for different results.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
tilleys99

Should be more like if there was no VQ the Z would have never came back from the dead.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
F23A4

Originally Posted by chimmike
Since when?

Last I checked, the heritage of the Z goes back longer than the Max. Either way, Nissan wouldn't have been without an engine design if the Max wasn't around.........it's pretty baseless to say that the only reason the Z is out is because of the Max.

The Z died in 1996, as it was one of the first Nissans to get the ax when Nissan was in dire straits. The Z33 is side-product of the Nissan's largely successful FM platform pioneered by the Skyline/G35. If not for the G35 sedan, your Z would have been a 200hp/180lb-ft 2.4L Inline sport coupe (read: 240SX):
Link

It was cars like the Maxima, Altima and Sentra enabled Nissan to tread water until Renault finallly came to the rescue.

That said, those Z owners who feel the need to be pompous with their regard to the Maxima or Altima V6s are in need of a reality check 'cause performance wise, it aint exactly a 'Mustang Cobra vs Mustang V6' comparison. (More like a Stang GT vs Mach 1 comparison, if anything.)

BTW: Nissan better do something to stop the hemmoraging(sp?) of Z sales.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Zexy

BTW i eliminated the VTCs too run off VQ30de ecu with JWT program for 555cc inj/boost/cams/low comp/7200 rev/Z32 MAF
Sounds interesting. Can you explain the benefit of this?

BTW. That website you posted...It seems you only specialize in doing riced out body work and cosmetics. Do you expect anybody to trust you with a motor swap? Just curious....

Last edited by Zexy; 11-03-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 AM
98MikeXimaSE

you's a 2" ****. where are you in a rush to with your single turbo setup?

exactly what i thought.. **** outta here
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Zexy

Ok guys, seems like we are staring to have a party of trolls creating accounts and starting to bash, thanks to the douchbag who started this thread and took it back to his home forum to post smack about us.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....09#post4452609

Mods please close this thread before it destroys itself.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
tilleys99

i was simply tryin to give you z guys some ideas but all you guys have is hate for every other nissan but a gt-r. IMO the vq30det (jdm) is better then you guys wastin money on buildin a 3.5, which is probably why gt cup cars use the vq30dett
Old 11-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Zexy

i was simply tryin to give you z guys some ideas but all you guys have is hate for every other nissan but a gt-r. IMO the vq30det (jdm) is better then you guys wastin money on buildin a 3.5.
Have a nice day and leave. Jeez man!!

Last edited by Zexy; 11-03-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
mojo powered

Guys, please respect what Tilley's trying to bring to the table here.. he had approached me a few months ago about going drag racing together since he's semi-local to me and he seems extremely knowledgeable about maximas.

Also, please remember that Maxima guys might have much more knowledge about these engines since the VQ has been in there for much longer. They have also been boosting the VQ for much longer than we have and the older VQs (I guess the VQ30 in this case) seemed better to take boost up to 11-12 psi with better rods.

So let's have a look at what Tilley's could bring to the table. He's already running low 13s without boost in a front wheel drive maxima and he's got a shop with access to tons of Nissan parts. It seems like he's taken the VQ apart many times and he's done many swaps in and out of older Maximas that are lighter.

That being said, I have to say sorry but Taurran, I find your comment "Are you in that much of a hurry to pick up your kids from soccer practice?" quite childish. Can you run low 13s on a normally aspirated rear wheel drive fancy Z? He's doing it on a much older car that is front wheel drive, he knows the VQ inside out and he's actually trying to do something nobody on this board has ever tried or even dared.

that's it, I'm done.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
PhxBlue

don't be a dick..
^^^ The problem started with this idiot, point the finger in the right direction.

Last edited by PhxBlue; 11-03-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Since when?

I see my comment went over your head.. nice of Matt to take the time to explain it to you