Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Water/Methanol Injection....Which Kit and WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
thanks for the info, do you have pictures of your install?
Its not installed yet. I just picked up a brand new 06 6MT Z!!!
The WI will go in soon though.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:20 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just ordered the Snow Performance Stage II Kit (Includes progressive controller let's you define when to start and to ramp up till max boost) the reservoir switch (ler's you know when you're running low on fluids) and a Case of Boost Juice (4 bottles pre mix 49%methanol 51% water) that way you always have the right mix total cost $463.90

Hopefully it gets here before the 7th so that I can run a new tune/setup on the 15th at the Cali Speedway Privates - last 1/4 privates until April when the rebuild track opens.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I just ordered the Snow Performance Stage II Kit (Includes progressive controller let's you define when to start and to ramp up till max boost) the reservoir switch (ler's you know when you're running low on fluids) and a Case of Boost Juice (4 bottles pre mix 49%methanol 51% water) that way you always have the right mix total cost $463.90

Hopefully it gets here before the 7th so that I can run a new tune/setup on the 15th at the Cali Speedway Privates - last 1/4 privates until April when the rebuild track opens.
I'm thinking about ordering the exact same thing, only adding the dual nozzle upgrade. Thanks for the info, I've never heard of the snow system, but it looks pretty nice.

Did you get the MAF version or the regular version?

Last edited by failsafe306; 01-02-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:10 PM
mrtomcat

I fund out about it from Sport Z Magazine they have a great article about it using the snow performance system

I got the regular version
Old 01-02-2006, 07:21 PM
bigbri

Glad to hear that your choosing to go with an W/I kit.... I go with an 30%meth and 70% distilled water mix..you can get distilled water at supermarket and it has no minerals or deposits in it...= no cloged jets.... I'm running 15lbsof boost on a stock block...think I am the only one to do this so far?? and I know this is the only reason why I havn't blown my motor for how hard I drive....still running good 4000 miles so far
Old 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
mrtomcat

bigbri, where did you mount the tank?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
bigbri

I have a 3 gallon tank mounted in my trunk......LOL it's huge =) But you go through w/a mix fast and I don't want to fill it up every week.......Custom brackets I'll take some pics if you'd like...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 PM
mrtomcat

that would be cool, also did you mount the pump in the trunk as well and if not where?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 PM
bigbri

The pump is under the rear fender tucked up in there away from everything....
Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by bigbri
The pump is under the rear fender tucked up in there away from everything....
that I definetely want to see a pic off now
Old 01-02-2006, 08:21 PM
failsafe306

Is there any reason to get the MAF version over the regular one?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:27 PM
mrtomcat

it's just another way to control the spraying , but I believe that's more for the hardcore tuner since you need to splice into the maf signal it makes it also much less plug and play, not worth it in my opionon
Old 01-03-2006, 04:47 AM
failsafe306

I know that the Unichip can control water injection; I'll ask Tuan today which one he recommends. Thanks Tomcat.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 AM
PoWeRtRiP

good point on the water, but wouldn't regular window washer clogg the nozzles as well or are they using demineralized water for that as well?
I wonder if the Power Juice from Snowperformance uses that...that would be very cool since it already has the perfect mix of water and methanol
actually i think washer fluid is ethanol. not a big diff, but it will have different octane ratings. just get yourself a big barrel of methanol <100 for a 55 gal drum from a chemical supplier and make your own mix. id recommend 100% meth but do whatever works for u.

id recommend a kit that has a warning light when the system gets low, dont run out of fluid or u will have problems.

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 01-03-2006 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 AM
MoodDude

I plan on mounting my tank and pump where the spare tire is. Since I have upgraded brakes my spare tire is useless, so my WI will be stealth. Easy to buy and install a warning light on the tank. I start on my install in two weeks.

I talked to my APS rep about this, he said that APS is dead set against WI. They also said that any dealer that carries APS that puts WI on a vehicle will possibly no longer be a rep. Just to warn you about it.
Also, all research papers (university research not marketing) I have read on the subject say that Methanol is best and no reason to go over 50/50 mixture. Bigbri has got it right, use just enough to keep it from freezing. Water is giving you all the benifits of anti-detonating (which is my goal for using it.)

I am having a little problem understand why you want a variable speed pump? The reason to buy a high pressure pump is it disperses the water better through the nozzle. If you ramp the speed of the pump as a function of boost, your pump will start out at low pressure and slowly build to high. Won't you be loosing the benifits of the dispersion at low boost?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by MoodDude
I plan on mounting my tank and pump where the spare tire is. Since I have upgraded brakes my spare tire is useless, so my WI will be stealth. Easy to buy and install a warning light on the tank. I start on my install in two weeks.

I talked to my APS rep about this, he said that APS is dead set against WI. They also said that any dealer that carries APS that puts WI on a vehicle will possibly no longer be a rep. Just to warn you about it.
Also, all research papers (university research not marketing) I have read on the subject say that Methanol is best and no reason to go over 50/50 mixture. Bigbri has got it right, use just enough to keep it from freezing. Water is giving you all the benifits of anti-detonating (which is my goal for using it.)

I am having a little problem understand why you want a variable speed pump? The reason to buy a high pressure pump is it disperses the water better through the nozzle. If you ramp the speed of the pump as a function of boost, your pump will start out at low pressure and slowly build to high. Won't you be loosing the benifits of the dispersion at low boost?
you dont want it to spray full blast at first mostly bc its not necessary. if you flood it with meth/h20 starting @2psi and spray full thru 8psi its not going to run as well as if you spray a little then go full out at full boost. also its wasting the fluid in your sprayer. if u dont need that much fluid why spray it in the engine.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:52 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
you dont want it to spray full blast at first mostly bc its not necessary. if you flood it with meth/h20 starting @2psi and spray full thru 8psi its not going to run as well as if you spray a little then go full out at full boost. also its wasting the fluid in your sprayer. if u dont need that much fluid why spray it in the engine.
Yes, I understand why, just don't agree with a VSD (variable speed drive) pump. I think it would be better design to have a variable nozzle opening. That way you maintain the pressure require for good dispersion and get the variable flow you are looking for. Yet, no kit has the nozzle opening, closest you can get is multiple nozzles. And with my boost coming on so fast, I don't think I will even notice a pump ramp up.
Yes, probably the VSD pump will work somewhat, just don't think it will be that effective, thus don't think it is worth the money. Remember, this is a water pump, the curve on it will not be linear! I bet your controller has a linear function vs. boost.

I just don't believe everything someone trys to sell me. Plus, my boost comes on so fast, I don't think there will be any benifit to complicating the system more than a dual stage system. I plan on having 1 GPH come on at 3-5 psi of boost, than 4 GPH @ 8-9 psi of boost.

Sorry, I probably think about these things to much - as I design systems for a living. So I try to follow the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 AM
CpraceZ

We use a lot of snow performance kits and have had big gains from them snow performance like some other kit sprays methanol per pound of boost so at full boost you spray more methanol then at low boost, very simple install and works very well.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by MoodDude

Why would APS be against it? Did they give you any reasoning??? Also what in the universe gives them the right to say a reseller looses their license if they install a WI kit???? Sometimes I think they just say these things because they get a kick out of pissing people off...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 AM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
actually i think washer fluid is ethanol. not a big diff, but it will have different octane ratings. just get yourself a big barrel of methanol <100 for a 55 gal drum from a chemical supplier and make your own mix. id recommend 100% meth but do whatever works for u.

id recommend a kit that has a warning light when the system gets low, dont run out of fluid or u will have problems.
based on the snow perfrormance site a 49%meth /51% water provides the based gains based on their experience it also still keeps the methanol under the flammable point

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol Injection....Which Kit and WHY?