Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Water/Methanol Injection....Which Kit and WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
based on the snow perfrormance site a 49%meth /51% water provides the based gains based on their experience it also still keeps the methanol under the flammable point
based on david buschur's site and al's site (dynoflash)they recommend 100% meth, anything otherwise is a waste. but hey whats the point of arguing about % over the internet, try out diff combos on the dyno and pick what works best for u.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 AM
MoodDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would APS be against it? Did they give you any reasoning??? Also what in the universe gives them the right to say a reseller looses their license if they install a WI kit???? Sometimes I think they just say these things because they get a kick out of pissing people off...
All I said is what they told me. Don't know if the shop I use is scared of WI or they are just blowing smoke. And I was just talking to one of my friends at the shop about it and I wasn't asking them to do the work. Not sure if this maybe just rumors floating around the shop or not. That is why I said - I was told (second hand stuff).
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
based on david buschur's site and al's site (dynoflash)they recommend 100% meth, anything otherwise is a waste. but hey whats the point of arguing about % over the internet, try out diff combos on the dyno and pick what works best for u.
Facts:

- Methanol is flamable, yet has a much less energy output than gas and much higher octane rating.
- Methanol only has about 1/2 the heat capacity of water.
- Methanol has a much lower freezing point than water.
- Methanol will disperse better when sprayed through a nozzle.
- Methanol will evaporate faster than water.

I want anti-detonation feature, so the more water I put in, the much higher heat capacity it will have, the more energy it will take to raise the cylinder temperature when compressing the mixture, thus you can achieve a much higher compression ratio. I will only add Methanol to keep it from freezing. I am sure if your goals are different than a different ratio is better for you.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:02 PM
vision619

When I installed the Snow Performance Kit on my car, I talked to Tony Snow (Owner of Snow) for an hour or so. I was told to NEVER use 100% Meth. Always a 50/50 mix. I used my windshield washer tank which proved very useful when the "low level" light came on when the level was low. Mounted the pump inside the right front fender.

Have fun cleaning up the mess it produces all over the back of your car. It didn't seem like a big deal at first, but after doing it constantly, it got old.

Mike

Link To My Car
Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
MoodDude

you dont want it to spray full blast at first mostly bc its not necessary. if you flood it with meth/h20 starting @2psi and spray full thru 8psi its not going to run as well as if you spray a little then go full out at full boost. also its wasting the fluid in your sprayer. if u dont need that much fluid why spray it in the engine.
That is what I was planning - first spray at 3-5psi at 1 GPH, then second nozzle to come on at 8-9psi with 4 GPH more for a total of 5-6GPH. Yet, I will test and let you know.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:42 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by vision619
When I installed the Snow Performance Kit on my car, I talked to Tony Snow (Owner of Snow) for an hour or so. I was told to NEVER use 100% Meth. Always a 50/50 mix. I used my windshield washer tank which proved very useful when the "low level" light came on when the level was low. Mounted the pump inside the right front fender.

Have fun cleaning up the mess it produces all over the back of your car. It didn't seem like a big deal at first, but after doing it constantly, it got old.

Mike

Link To My Car
Do you have pictures of the mounted pump?

What mess, please explain, why would it cause a mess and where?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:51 PM
vision619

Do you have pictures of the mounted pump?

What mess, please explain, why would it cause a mess and where?
No pics and it's off now. Sorry. My mechanic cut 2 pieces of L bracket metal and drilled holes in them and screwed them into my frame or something solid like that in that area. The area was (if sitting in the passenger seat) in front of and left of the front left tire behind the plastic covering there.

The mess comes out of your exhaust. it creates little blobs of burnt Meth all of the back of your car. And you need more than just water to clean it up. It's kinda like the exhaust film that's usually on the back of Z's (at least the one's I've seen especially the F/I one's) x's 10.

I will say this. I got 25 ftlbs of torque from just running the meth and making no tune/boost changes or anything.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
mrtomcat

interesting....well, I guess I'm about to find out....since my car is black it might not be as extreme as on your yellow machine.

Thanks for the info though
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM
bigbri

Originally Posted by vision619
No pics and it's off now. Sorry. My mechanic cut 2 pieces of L bracket metal and drilled holes in them and screwed them into my frame or something solid like that in that area. The area was (if sitting in the passenger seat) in front of and left of the front left tire behind the plastic covering there.

The mess comes out of your exhaust. it creates little blobs of burnt Meth all of the back of your car. And you need more than just water to clean it up. It's kinda like the exhaust film that's usually on the back of Z's (at least the one's I've seen especially the F/I one's) x's 10.

I will say this. I got 25 ftlbs of torque from just running the meth and making no tune/boost changes or anything.
I havn't seen any BLOBS on the back of my car...I guess it's where your exhaust is located and how far back it is....Mine probally spews all over cars behind me..LOL...And about aps being against it that is bs.....Ted is in tight with APS and they know about and aprove all of his projects.....I think aps may be running water injection themselfs...