Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbocharging a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 05:54 PM
ZINISTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Settle down. Your bickering is starting to **** me off. Act like adults, and let's get back to talking about Z's.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Guru

Hi Eric. I will be getting one of the first kits in the US. E-mail me and I'll try to get you some info as I have it. If you want to see pics just go to my website and take a look for yourself.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:11 PM
franklinz

Originally posted by WRBLUEWAGON
Woo Hoo, My first POST.

First thing is first PE has a twin turbo kit out that will support over 400hp with EM with the right fuel support.

The cost is really high. To do this right you will need at least this list of things.

Headers
Intercooler
Tubros
Stand Alone EM. (MAP passed EFI) I like Tec3 my self
Injectors, (maybe fuel rails and for sure a pump (hks or comos with be my way of doing it)
Downpipes
exhaust

Alot of custom fab work to make it fit and a good clutch to hold the power down. If they built the tranny as strong as the old z or skyline then 450hp to wheels would not be a problem for the car.

Eric
no offense but im nitpicking, headers belong on a n/a car... also what size are the stock injectors on the 350z??
franklinz
Old 01-22-2003, 09:36 PM
rcamooso

Originally posted by SpyVO
There's a difference between stock internals on a turbocharged engine and on an N/A engine. Supras can take up to 800 hp (I've heard) on stock internals, not because it's invincible, but because it was designed from the get-go to have a LOT of boost blown into it. You can't just take the turbo equipment off a turbo Supra and bolt it to an N/A Supra and expect to get the same results. That goes for just about ANY turbo motor, be it a SAAB Turbo, or a Ford 2.3 Turbo, a Mitsubishi 2.0 Turbo or a Buick 3.8 Turbo. On the flip side, when you take the turbo off of a turbocharged car, it doesn't make as much power as the N/A version of the motor due to the lower compression.

The steps you'd take to make a GOOD N/A motor are counterproductive to making a good boosted motor. The Z motor was designed as a strong N/A motor, and without swapping pistons, they're just making a REALLY expensive bolt-on of questionable worth. If you take the time and do it right, then you'll have a real hellion on your hands. Take a look at Buick Grand Nationals. Probably heavier than a Z, has a turbocharged 3.8 liter TWO VALVE V6, and they'll mop the floor with LS1's with technology from 1987 and a few mods. So is a rebuild worth it now?

That's why if I were in the position to turbocharge a Z, I would buy a kit like that, get a stock shortblock and rebuild it with good pistons and strong guts. I'd swap it out when the time came, to minimize downtime, and then turn up the boost a whole lot more than you would with the regular bolt-on kit. They put this motor in a lot of stuff, don't they? I know the Maxima has a FWD version, but could it be used? If so, then it shouldn't be too tough to get one to build up.

The people who are making twin-turbo kits for Z's know who they're selling to. They're selling to people who want to go fast and don't want to get their hands dirty doing it. That's why they make bolt-on kits. Otherwise, you HAVE TO build up a motor for it, and in this market, they'd lose the sale. The nature of the bolt on kit is what limits the potential.
Most of the cars you mention did have problems because they were the same internals as the na motor. The grand nationals blocks would crack at 50000 miles because they didnt change the block for more cooling with the added heat and the 3000gt vr4 liked to break crankshafts on a hard launch because it was the same as the na. If you look at older cars still on the road you will see the na version but no turbos do you ever see a syclone or typhoon? The exceptions are the audis, saabs,supras and 300zxs.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:48 AM
netZ

he was probably referring to the exhaust manifold aka headers where the turbo would be attached to.

netZ

Originally posted by franklinz
no offense but im nitpicking, headers belong on a n/a car... also what size are the stock injectors on the 350z??
franklinz