Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Why are Supras so much better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are Supras so much better?

I love my Z but sometimes I question my decissions...

my buddy bought a used Supra with aftermarket turbo (stock block) for about 25k (great condition), tweaked it a bit for about 5k more and ran 11.9 at 7500 feet elevation with a speed of only 115 mph and on top of that won IDRC yesterday.

I spent over 50k so far on my Z (turbo, suspension, tuning, installs, build engine...) and with all that I probably will barely hit 10's beside the fact that I haven't seen my car in almost 5 weeks because the engine build is taking forever, making me even more frustrated but that's a different story.

This makes me wonder why is it so much cheaper to run good times on a Supra vs a Z?
Are the Toyota engineers really that much better than Nissan's?
What's their secret?

And I don't want to hear that the Supra's have been around longer, the Z has been around in it's previous versions probably longer. And I'm not talking modding it out because again my buddy's Supra is almost completely stock.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 PM
FastZ33

im a supra freak. the 2jz-gte motor is a powerhosue. its straight 6 is much more powerful then a any v6. and it already comes turbo. any car that comes stock turbo. u can upgrade the turbo for a real cheap price but u get a lot of power. the supra motor is just amazing. the vq is barely making 760whp. while the 2jz is now making close to 1500hp.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Q45tech

Iron block strength vs aluminum lightness
Old 09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
GMZ

Well, what about the RB26DETT? I know its not USDM but its a Nissan nonetheless. I think that engine is on par with the 2JZ-GTE, probably the only one though. Biggest mistake they made was not bringing it over here to compete with the likes of the Supra, RX7, etc imo. Im partial to Toyota btw
Old 09-04-2006, 12:32 PM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
I probably will barely hit 10's .
I wish i could say that...lol... I've always wondered the same question as you, but It boiled down to the loveof the Z-car/history.. I been riding in Z's since i was a little kid, so for me it was a natural decision. I could of easily bought a 240sx and swapped the engine, or boosted my integra for pennies compared to a kit for a Z. I just wish it didnt cost soooooooo much to mod Z's. and if I spent close to $50k like you, that car better fly me to the moon and give me a hummer after....
Old 09-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately it just takes more time, money, and patience to turbo a 350Z.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
mrtomcat

one of the things that I am amazed about is the traction.
I have trapped higher mph (118) but him trapping only 115 and hitting 11's that amazes me even more.
It just seemed to be designed better all around.
It'll be interesting to see that IF Toyota will finally re-release the Supra how it will compare to today's Z
Old 09-04-2006, 12:45 PM
k3silk

yeah i was just thinking the same thing. It makes me so mad cause when i was looking for a new car i was going back and forth from the evo,supra,350z which we all know what i chose. But right now I just ran into a over heating problem which is nothing major i just have to bleed the lines so there are no more bubbles after changing out my stock rad but it gave me that old hate feeling back when i used to work on my old turbo integra. My buddy like you has a supra to and on the putside it looks great but the inside is so outdated its not even funny. But at the same time i know what kind of platform they start off with and sometimes i do kick my self in the *** for not getting it cause 30k for the Z and about 10k for TT kit that i got and wheels. for a total of 40 i could have had a bad *** supra. But oh well thats life maybe next time if i dont get a Z06
Old 09-04-2006, 12:46 PM
TheCajunStyle

With all the special sauce mods done to my friend's Supra, he hit 11.4 @ 119 (1.4 60') on BFG DRs. That block is absolutely amazing! Don't forget that the Supra retailed for MUCH more than the Z. His was $53k, while our's is like $27k. That's a big difference!!!

http://www.ridonkulous.com/videos/LV....46@119.18.wmv
Old 09-04-2006, 12:47 PM
breed

doesnt the 2jz motor come stock w/ forged internals?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:12 PM
supra-g

yeah i had a 7mgte before the z and having a stock turbo motor to build up
is better than starting from scratch. and the difference between an inline 6
and v6 is something to think about too.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i hate threads like this.. just shows ignorance
Old 09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
supra-g

damn man its just a question, think about it as a conversation
starter on labor day
Old 09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
doug

if you knew anything about the Supra Community.. the biggest joke is why 1000 hp Supra's and 400 hp Supra's both run 12's..

MKIV Supra owners have hard time themselves trying to run low times.. the only reason a handful of them have run 9's and 10's is because they have some of the best drag racers in the US owning them. Ryan Woon.. ST... shops like Titan, SP, Battleground..

if you look at 350z's that have run great times are shops like Performance Motorsports and another one in NJ i forget the name who is running an RB30..

nothing is wrong with the 350z running great times.. its just that the owners that can drive them don't have big power behind them.. and the ones that have big power behind them are still learning how to drive them.

yeah the 350z has more technology behind it, being that we can't do burn outs and brake boost without pulling a fuse.. but you should never show ignorance as to why the Z isn't comparable to the Surpa... as a matter a fact for the starting points of the 350z to the Supra.. we have caught up alot in less than 4 years..

Supra's.. factory with forge internals... first MKIV is over 13 years old... tuners are more familiar with MKIV's.. of course they are ahead.. but we are gaining fast..

I been a member of SupraForums since March 2001 .. and i will tell you.. guys were blowing motors at 500 whp... and no one would ever imagine ever even seeing 800 whp much less 1400 whp like now.. it takes time.. it takes learning.. and it takes blowing alot of engines..

funny thing is you will look back at this thread in 5 years and laugh you even created it..
Old 09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Too many variables. You can buy a used Z 19k and TT 7k. Stock Z suspension should be better than a stock Supra. The only difference is Supra was born boosted. Other than the motor I don't see how the Supra is superior. Toyota does have a better fit and finish though.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:53 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the biggest reasons is because the Supra came turbo stock. The engine was built for boost from day one, unlike a 350Z.

Also, how did you spend the $50K? If you want to go fast drag racing, you should focus your funds into that. Getting the Turbo 400 tranny conversion will be the biggest bang for the buck easily dropping 1 second or more from your times.

Last edited by 350Zteve; 09-04-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Mahdivr4

Originally Posted by doug
if you knew anything about the Supra Community.. the biggest joke is why 1000 hp Supra's and 400 hp Supra's both run 12's..

MKIV Supra owners have hard time themselves trying to run low times.. the only reason a handful of them have run 9's and 10's is because they have some of the best drag racers in the US owning them. Ryan Woon.. ST... shops like Titan, SP, Battleground..

if you look at 350z's that have run great times are shops like Performance Motorsports and another one in NJ i forget the name who is running an RB30..

nothing is wrong with the 350z running great times.. its just that the owners that can drive them don't have big power behind them.. and the ones that have big power behind them are still learning how to drive them.

yeah the 350z has more technology behind it, being that we can't do burn outs and brake boost without pulling a fuse.. but you should never show ignorance as to why the Z isn't comparable to the Surpa... as a matter a fact for the starting points of the 350z to the Supra.. we have caught up alot in less than 4 years..

Supra's.. factory with forge internals... first MKIV is over 13 years old... tuners are more familiar with MKIV's.. of course they are ahead.. but we are gaining fast..

I been a member of SupraForums since March 2001 .. and i will tell you.. guys were blowing motors at 500 whp... and no one would ever imagine ever even seeing 800 whp much less 1400 whp like now.. it takes time.. it takes learning.. and it takes blowing alot of engines..

funny thing is you will look back at this thread in 5 years and laugh you even created it..

I completely agree with you on this^^

Also if you think about it, A supra TT in 93 cost a little more than Z in 2006. So when you bought a Supra back then, it was as if you bought a 45-55K car in 2006. Second, Supra had a big competition going with the Mitsubishi (VR-4), Nissan (300ZX), Mazda (RX-7). So they had to build a car that was better to sell. But when you look at either one of those cars they had their own specialty in them. But overall, Yes, the Supra can handle a lot of power but I have a few supra TT people that modeded them with lots of power and can't run very good times with them. But I tell you what, when you put a supra against a Z in the highway the supra will just eat it up.

Also another big factor is when these cars where build. Back then there was way less restrictions and also MPG wasn’t that important. S

Mahdi
Old 09-04-2006, 02:06 PM
caucasiancoupe

mrtomcat.
If you want to use that example for a mustang you would say the same thing. if you spend 20,000 on an old mustang you will run faster than supras. I think once you get you motor built and run in the 10's you will forget all about the supras. running in the 10;s is one serious car. Be happy with what you got cause that supra to run 10's will have to add some serious money also. You have a *****n car be proud. Im sure he would trade you.
Also how did it go with the roomate last night?

Last edited by caucasiancoupe; 09-04-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:07 PM
blueper4mancez

you should compare supra to skyline , both have great potential
Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Mahdivr4
when you put a supra against a Z in the highway the supra will just eat it up.

Mahdi
actually i am going to have to disagree with you there... due to a better flowing motor and .5L in a car 200 - 300 lbs lighter..

a Z with equal HP to a Supra on the highway... the 350z will walk away from the Supra... seen it happen too many times

Quick Reply: Why are Supras so much better?