Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35HR / VQ37VHR Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ35HR / VQ37VHR Forced Induction

There's something that I've had in my mind ever since the introduction of the VQ35HR & VQ37VHR.

I have noticed many members make the jump from, say an 05 Z (rev-up or non rev-up) to an 07 Z, with plans of going forced induction in the future.

This doesnt make any sense at all to me?

First of all, usually when going forced induction, engine modifications are performed. Cams, Pistons, Rods, etc. Anything to help the engine stay on the safe side.

Second, the VQ35HR, especially the VQ37VHR, have higher compressision ratios; never a good thing for Forced Induction.

Therefore, a VQ35DE (Rev-Up or Non Rev-up) can have the exact same potential in power as a VQ35HR and possibly VQ37VHR, seeing how the VQ37VHR is exactly the same with the exception of a small displacement increase & VVEL technology.

When having Forced Induction in mind, jumping from a Rev-Up, to say a VQ35HR, or maybe even a VQ37VHR in the future ONLY due to the new engine is completely useless and a waste of money. Am I correct?

I just wanted to bring the topic up, seeing how many members are making a senseless jump.

As far as NA, the jump may be significant. But as far as FI goes, I see no point.

Not sure if my logic is correct; but thats what this thread will hopefully bring light into.

PS. I'm assuming the VQ37VHR will be in the Z's future, which is why I also brought this engine into discussion. As of now, I'm sure future G37 owners will also be interested in this discussion.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
monkey_zee

The block on the HR is stronger so I don't see why it is totally useless.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 AM
fast kiwi

Originally Posted by Monkey Z.
very good point...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Monkey Z.
Yea, but have you heard of any DE blocks failing? So if the HR can handle 2000whp and the DE only 1500whp...what's the point?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
redlineryder

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/

It's a better engineered engine, better technology and greater potential.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You mean overengineered? lol - just playing devil's advocate. I think the potential for the DE is far beyond what most would want to even consider given the costs.

The OP is right on. It was after I saw the specs for the HR, I decided to stick with my nonrevup and build it.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly. Compression ratio alone is not enough to deter me from putting forced induction on an engine. Aftermarket turbo kits have been installed on engines at much higher CR's that what we see from Nissan. It all comes down to boost pressure, tuning, and setup. And with the stronger (hopefully) nature of the HR/VVL, I think we'll find even more reliable power with the new engine, in 100% stock form.

Greddy should be first out with the turbo kit for the HR, and will have one on display at SEMA, if everything goes as planned.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Zlayer

^+1000
My power goals, should I ever go FI, would be in the 450-500HP range. With the DE, Strengthend internals should be used along with a good tune. If 450-500hp could be reached safely on a stock HR block, with much less chance of blowing and engine Im all for it!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Not exactly. Compression ratio alone is not enough to deter me from putting forced induction on an engine. Aftermarket turbo kits have been installed on engines at much higher CR's that what we see from Nissan. It all comes down to boost pressure, tuning, and setup. And with the stronger (hopefully) nature of the HR/VVL, I think we'll find even more reliable power with the new engine, in 100% stock form.

Greddy should be first out with the turbo kit for the HR, and will have one on display at SEMA, if everything goes as planned.
That's a good point - I was thinking only of a full build up either way - and that would be more expensive on the HR with it's more complex design.

I don't know about reaching 500 whp safely on the HR (who knows though?), but certainly the barrier to FI could potentially be lower if a motor build is not required for absolute safety and reliability for a substantial horsepower gain (say 400 whp). If the rods are no longer a weak link, I'm sure that would make a lot of people very happy
Old 07-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
That's a good point - I was thinking only of a full build up either way - and that would be more expensive on the HR with it's more complex design.

I don't know about reaching 500 whp safely on the HR (who knows though?), but certainly the barrier to FI could potentially be lower if a motor build is not required for absolute safety and reliability for a substantial horsepower gain (say 400 whp). If the rods are no longer a weak link, I'm sure that would make a lot of people very happy
I was thinking the same thing. I have a customer with an HR that is more than willing to test the limits of the stock HR. But if 375whp is the "ultra safe" only stock block limit, then hopefully 450whp or so will be the new ultra safe limit.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 AM
GodSendsDeath

Me I be more than happy to have 400whp and as close as possible 400tq. Sorry I come from a Inline BMW world we have no TQ lol we just rev high.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I was thinking the same thing. I have a customer with an HR that is more than willing to test the limits of the stock HR.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 AM
ATL_Red_G35

Sharif.....how hard to swap an HR block into the G?