Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:06 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

I spoke to Tommy, sales rep. For Greddy in Irvine Ca. (949) 588-8300 or info@greddy.com today for about 30 minutes on the phone today. I do not claim to know much about turbo’s but this is the best I can do to relay what I was able to find out. The following is highlights of that phone conversation:

1. Greddy has been a company for about 7 years in the USA. The parent company of Greddy is Trust Co. in Japan which as been in business for over 20 years.
2. Right now they are getting a 100hp gain at 5lbs of boost with the priority being to make it smog legal (ca. + 50 states) and dependable. He feels that they will most likely get more and that is why they are continue to test it more. With other products such as the civic turbo, they released it at 5 lbs of boost but later verified it being totally dependable at 7.5 lbs of boost. In other words, the 100hp is the minimum to expect with a good possibility of it become more with no internal parts changed and very dependable.
3. Warranty: Mitusbishi bench tests their turbo’s Greddy carries in thir kits to insure reliability but Greddy will not put a warranty on any part of the turbo kit. They will try to help you if there appears to be a problem. What they have found is that some customers turn up the boost and since they have no control over this type of abuse, they cannot warranty the products. Tommy claims that their turbo kits have a history of less than 1% return rate thus 99% of their kits have no problems. Mitusbishi turbos they have installed have lasted over 8 years with no problems. Replacement cost for a single turbo is estimated to be about $1600.
4. Testing: Greddy purchased (1) 350Z 4 months ago and has a Twin Turbo on it every since. They are testing the turbo daily. Greddy has (2) techs that design and test their turbo’s. They both have over 7 years experience testing and designing turbo’s.
5. The expected release date of the 350Z turbo kit is in the fall now. When it is released, it will not be certified smog legal. They need to apply and get that approval and hope the turbo kit will be smog legal approximately 6-8 months after it is released.
6. There are several reasons the 350Z kit is basically double the price of their other turbo kits (ie civics etc). These reasons include two turbos vs one and external waste gate which he claims is needed because this turbo is set up to match the VQ motor which is designed to put out a lot of HP. When internals are changed, he said the motor will easily put out 800+ hp as boost is increased.
7. The only modification to your car (such as welding etc.) is the oil return line to the oil pan. This kit can easily be unbolted from the car to return to stock.
8. When installing this kit, the engine does not have to be removed, just raised slightly off of engine mounts. He estimated the install to take about 20 hours by a tuner they would recommend. The price does not include installation and the kit must be purchased through a tuner. Tommy recommended Pan Auto in San Diego (in business for over 15 years, great customer service) or SP Engineering (in city of Industry, does a lot high end, exotic sports cars). I plan on calling them to get feedback on how much they estimate the installation cost will be later. When/if you want to buy a turbo kit from them, they can recommend a shop to you by simply calling them.
9. The price for the kit has not been determined yet but it can be expected to be about $6000 - $7000 not including installation. I asked if their would be anything else he would recommend to do to the turbo besides the standard kit + installation and he recommended air, fuel, and temperature gauges which would cost approx. $150 - $200 each, Blow off valve (for back pressure) est. @ $200, and a turbo timer which would allow you to turn off your motor and take the key out while the car kept running until the turbo’s cooled down to an acceptable level which would cost about $80-$100.
10. Tommy said they are using the E-manage that piggybacks onto the factory ECU. He said the kits will be preset to the proper boost and the fuel manager will be present as well to optimum settings. Again, the key to the durability of the turbo/motor is determined by if customers over boost the set up after installation.
11. I asked him if Nissan was involved with any aspect of the design of the kit and he said Nissan originally did not want anything to do with the kit but after seeing the test car, they were impressed enough to want to rent it for special events. Greddy declined that offer because they only have one Z and need it to complete their testing phase.

I hope this helps. If errors were made in data, it might be out of my ignorance more than incorrect data given to me via the phone call to Greddy. The biggest thing that impressed me is the fact that they have been testing it everyday for 4 months and also plan to test it until to fall still to insure it is set up correctly.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Landbarger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they will get an authorized installer on the east coast somewhere. Maybe there is a good install group around DC or so. I would hate to have to ship my car off for an $8,000 project.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:32 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Landbarger
I hope they will get an authorized installer on the east coast somewhere. Maybe there is a good install group around DC or so. I would hate to have to ship my car off for an $8,000 project.
Landbarger: If you are really concerned about a good installer on the east coast, give Greddy a call at he phone number I posted above. I am sure they have a list of installers around the USA.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 05-21-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:42 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Ino from an installer of Greddy turbo's

Greddy recommended 2 installers to me in the southern Ca. area. I live near San Diego so I called the one they recommended in San Diego. The place is called Pan Auto, (858) 278-7266. Here is some highlights of that phone conversation with a guy there named Rudy:

1. Based off of looking that the Greddy prototype car and that Greddy said it will take approx. 20 hours to install, he said they would do the install for roughly $1000 based on their estimate on that info.
2. He said Greddy makes a great kit thus he would just install the kit as is but if he recommended to add anything, it would first be the 3 gauges which would total about $150, then the timer so you can shut the motor off and still let it cool off for another $100. He said he would wait on a boost controller which cost about $500. He said it is not a good idea to play with the boost so not getting the adjuster might be a good idea.
3. He said mitusbishi makes good turbos and if they start to go, they can be rebuilt for about $400 each rather than buying new ones. He claims he has some on his car that are showing no signs of wear or leaking yet at 110K.
4. He said that in general nothing goes wrong with these Greddy turbos but if there would be a problem, it would most likely happen right away thus they would fix it.

I hope that gives a little better picture of what we are looking at. again, all of this is estimates based on what they are seeing...Jeff

Last edited by zland; 05-21-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Mr B

Holy crap. 20 hours to install??? WTF?!?!? That alone is gonna be a grip load of money!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Landbarger

thanks. let's keep the good news coming.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:08 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Mr B
Holy crap. 20 hours to install??? WTF?!?!? That alone is gonna be a grip load of money!
At 20 hours, the shop was giving an estimate of $1000 to install. My bet is it is less than 20 hours or they would have quoted higher, otherwise the shop is making $50 per hour. I would think their shop rate is more like $70 if i had to guess???

Jeff
Old 05-21-2003, 04:37 PM
rouxeny

Thanks for the info.

Looks expensive, 20 hours is no DIY project.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:21 PM
msink

Awesome post, thanks for for info. The price is climbing a bit 6-7 now. Did you gather if that included the intercooler. It sounds like it does, because he never mentioned it, even after telling you what might be some other good things to buy. So I hope that included the IC.

Anyone know anything about Enhanced Performance in Goldsboro, NC. They used to be an auth. dealer, but dont seem to be now based on Greddys site.

Mark
Old 05-21-2003, 06:40 PM
JZC

GReddy = Me
Old 05-21-2003, 07:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by msink
Awesome post, thanks for for info. The price is climbing a bit 6-7 now. Did you gather if that included the intercooler. It sounds like it does, because he never mentioned it, even after telling you what might be some other good things to buy. So I hope that included the IC.

Anyone know anything about Enhanced Performance in Goldsboro, NC. They used to be an auth. dealer, but dont seem to be now based on Greddys site.

Mark
He said the price had not been set yet but he thought it would be between 6-7K, lets hope it is more like 3-4K like it said in the resent article on this product. Yes, the kit includes everything (intercooler) except for the options I listed as extras. When i tried to click on the Greddy site for auth. dealers, it did not work so I just called them and asked. Actually, I think it is something you do not need to worry about yet until it is released as a kit.

BTW, I just got a poster of the Greddy turbo car with a pretty blond and Asian girl infront of it. Does any one else have it? After wanting to put the poster on my wall at work I realized that I might be going for the Greddy turbo as my most likely option for an upgrade. The negative comments on the ATI procharger supercharger have me in the serious doubts category. Seems like the price is the only negative issue I can see thus far on the Greddy. If I am wrong, then someone point out the negatives besides price. Remember, 100hp only because of low boost and that can be adjusted so there is a lot that can be done with this set up.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2003, 09:35 PM
raceboy
Banned

Why put another $10K in the Z, that is friggin' retarded. Buy a very slightly used Z06 instead, warranty and all.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:02 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by raceboy
Why put another $10K in the Z, that is friggin' retarded. Buy a very slightly used Z06 instead, warranty and all.
But then you'd just have to mod the Z06 (doesn't Lingenfelter have a nice turbo kit, or maybe a big block), so you'd be back to square 1.

-D'oh!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:53 AM
Mr B

The negatives about the kit is that Greddy supposedly had lots of problems at the beginning with the car running correctly. They did mention they drove it to IAS Sema, but that doesn't mean it's running great. I've also heard that they might be blowing rods cuz of too much power and that's why they kept it at 5.6psi for now. I'm sure they wanna up the psi a little bit, but they're afraid of the consequences and that's why they haven't released it yet. That's another reason why it's being released in fall and not spring/summer like they initially anticipated. Supposedly, they're upping the boost a little and testing it for a long time to see if the engine can hold up. This is all what a friend told me and it could be all false or just rumor.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:58 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1600/turbo replacement is bs..

i forgot what turbos greddy is using for this kit, but i remember it being kinda small, td05 maybe?? (hence a tt setup)....1600 may be if you buy direct from mitsu, but who would do that?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:05 AM
Mr B

td05h-18g... I don't think it's very small if you have two of them.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:45 AM
Zrated

Zland - Thanks for the post, the only thing that keeps me on the fence is the cost. I am still keeping an eye on the Procharger, we'll have to see when everything is released and priced.

Unfortunately I have to agree with raceboy. For another 8K I'd have to go with a slightly used Z06. There just bad @ss.

Mr B - I would expect the car to have problems in the begining, that is why companies do R&D with testing for new products.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:14 AM
350Zwannabe

Default TT

I think the Z gets alot more stares than the ZO6. By adding a TT Kit to the Z you have a $40,000 car with 400HP. at the Flywheel. Do you realize how amazing that is! OH by the way, Tommy Boy left out that you'll probably FRY the factory clutch so you'll need to switch that out for sure. $500+ and a light weight flywheel while your at it. The list really does go on and on. With that much power you will probably FRY your Rotors up sooner or later. The more power the better stopping power you need. So now you either need better rotors or NEW STOPTECHS!$2000+
YEAH!! All it takes is $$$ FOLKS. All those gauges and you didn't mention a good old BOOST GAUGE.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Zrated

Default Re: TT

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
I think the Z gets alot more stares than the ZO6. By adding a TT Kit to the Z you have a $40,000 car with 400HP. at the Flywheel. Do you realize how amazing that is! OH by the way, Tommy Boy left out that you'll probably FRY the factory clutch so you'll need to switch that out for sure. $500+ and a light weight flywheel while your at it. The list really does go on and on. With that much power you will probably FRY your Rotors up sooner or later. The more power the better stopping power you need. So now you either need better rotors or NEW STOPTECHS!$2000+
YEAH!! All it takes is $$$ FOLKS. All those gauges and you didn't mention a good old BOOST GAUGE.
I do like the looks of the Z, not really worried about stares though. I have the Track model so I'm already @ $37K + out the door before mods. At a point I would just rather move up to something better out of the box that has warranty. I love my Z right now, but I will always weigh the options.

Last edited by Zrated; 05-22-2003 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:53 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Re: Re: TT

Originally posted by Zrated
I do like the looks of the Z, not really worried about stares though. I have the Track model so I'm already @ $37K + out the door before mods. At a point I would just rather move up to something better out of the box that has warranty. I love my Z right now, but I will always weigh the options.
Your absolutely right. I guess I was thinking of a base model or sub $30,000 range equipt. car. I saw a Z on the lot the other day for $29 thousand and change! Base enthusiast. PRetty good bargain for someone and a good base to work with just no VDC just Limited slip Diff.

Quick Reply: Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003