Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

rod/piston install, engine IN car???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 AM
TurboSam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rod/piston install, engine IN car???

has anyone attempted pull the heads off and swapping out rods and pistons with the engine in the car??? it used to be a pretty common occurance when i had my turbo Honda. Pulled the head and oil pan, swap rods/pistons, right back together it went. i ask b/c i want to upgrade my rods and pistons to forged, looking for the easiest way to do it.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 AM
App6MT

God I would hate life if I tried to do that.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 AM
MDeezy

its possible but space is extremely limited. you'll save a massive headache if you just pull the motor and put it on a stand.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^+1

I dont know if you can just drop pistons in like that. you need to bore it, sleeve it, hone i is necessary.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious how you are planning to overbore the cylinders with engine in the car. also, what about the rear cylinders? Maybe you are just planning on dropping in stock bore pistons.....probably not the best plan! to get to them, you'll have to drop the cross member to remove the pan.......if you drop the crossmember, the engine is coming with it!

I'm pretty sure, you are looking at an impossible task and more work than if you just pull the motor!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM
westpak
SFZCC

nope
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM
TurboSam

Originally Posted by wannabuy350z
^+1

I dont know if you can just drop pistons in like that. you need to bore it, sleeve it, hone i is necessary.
it can be done with other cars, just wasnt sure how difficult it would be on the VQ, im a little newer to these cars than i am with the Honda cars like my buddies are still running....... like i said, it was really common with the Hondas i used to run. replacing rings and bearings was very easy task, and could be done between runs no problem. yank the head and oil pan, unbolt the rods, use a dingleberry hone on a cordless drill for the cylinders, new rings on the pistons, press in, rods tightened, head re-torqued.... BAM! ready for run number 2.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by TurboSam
it can be done with other cars, just wasnt sure how difficult it would be on the VQ, im a little newer to these cars than i am with the Honda cars like my buddies are still... runninglike i said, it was really common with the Hondas i used to run. replacing rings and bearings was very easy task, and could be done between runs no problem. yank the head and oil pan, unbolt the rods, use a dingleberry hone on a cordless drill for the cycliners, new rings on the pistons, press in, rods tightened, head re-torqued.... BAM! ready for run number 2.
Yeah but pulling the heads on the VQ isn't as easy as other cars, that is for sure.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 AM
track1z

Default I've done Honda/Acura builds and swaps.

it can be done with other cars, just wasnt sure how difficult it would be on the VQ, im a little newer to these cars than i am with the Honda cars like my buddies are still running....... like i said, it was really common with the Hondas i used to run. replacing rings and bearings was very easy task, and could be done between runs no problem. yank the head and oil pan, unbolt the rods, use a dingleberry hone on a cordless drill for the cylinders, new rings on the pistons, press in, rods tightened, head re-torqued.... BAM! ready for run number 2.
Once you have everything takin apart just to do the rods and pistons.I would say theres only a few more bolts to pull the block the rest of the way out the Z.As for the Civic's.Pull the head drop the exhaust and everything is in plain veiw.Not so much with the Z.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This aint a Honda.....
Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

How hard can it be to just take the motor out?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM
merlin3

I think you would have to drop the whole subframe because the vq35 has an upper oil pan that you would have to remove. Just pull the engine it's fairly easy.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

This thread cant be serious. We are comparin a 4cyl honda to a v6 nissan.

And you cant just drop pistons/ rods like that. lol. Its not like changing tires. Its presicion machining and you have to measure everything.

IF you had to ask this question in the firs tplace, i dont think this is a job for you.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by merlin3
I think you would have to drop the whole subframe because the vq35 has an upper oil pan that you would have to remove. Just pull the engine it's fairly easy.
Upper oil pan can be removed without dropping the subframe. Just pull the motor and save yourself time.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
TurboSam

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie

And you cant just drop pistons/ rods like that. lol. Its not like changing tires. Its presicion machining and you have to measure everything.

IF you had to ask this question in the firs tplace, i dont think this is a job for you.
dont be a bench racer....... pulling heads off with the engine in the car is very common with car with more room, all i wanted to know is if there is the room.

dont tell me what i am able to do or not do
Old 06-22-2008, 05:22 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie

Precision maching? There is a thing called stock-bore pistons and people do them all the time. It is totally possible to do pistons and rods on the VQ with the engine in, but it would be easier to just pull the motor.

I build my motor with no boring or decking, just measured and checked everything. It has been holding 19psi like a champ for a year now.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:03 PM
TurboSam

damn 19psi?? what kind of rods/pistons u running and what kind of power does it make?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
App6MT

damn 19psi?? what kind of rods/pistons u running and what kind of power does it make?
What he said.

What CR are you running?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
thawk408

8.5 CP pistons, eagle rods, stock HG, standard ARP studs torqued to 85 lbs. 606rwhp on sharif's dyno last June.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 PM
deanfootlong

im sure it can be done. but i wouldn't throw new pistons and rods in the motor without decking the block and heads before you mate them back together. at least do that much. an important step in building a motor thats overlooked a lot; balancing.

Quick Reply: rod/piston install, engine IN car???