Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The cost of boosting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
brooke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line if nissan does not put some hp in their next generation z it will be left far behind...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
There's no point for Nissan to have two twin turbo''d cars, the 350z has already been very competitive with other forced induction vehicles. Nissan didn't put turbo's in the 350 for a reason, why would they start again? They're ahead of the game when it comes to N/A power, so a turboed Z just isn't necessary.

And whats with all this crap you keep bringing up about "optional" equipment? like a V8 model and now this twin turbo option, can't you just wait for the damn car to be released? And who really cares about what fords doing anyways, this must be fords answer to getting V8 power out of a V6. something that Nissan has already been doing for years without FI.
Sorry, but I think you're missing my point. Brooke here gets it. Look if markets didn't change, then the 350Z making 300ish hp would be fine. Now you have coupes in the same price range making 400+ hp. The Z definitely has a weight advantage, but that won't make up for the stop light to stoplight stomping that will ensue if Nissan doesn't do something about it. It's about market pressures. The V8 isn't likely due to CAFE standards, even if it makes sense in a lot of other ways. Nissan hasn't proven that they intend to put forced induction back in the Z in the near future. While other companies are making huge strides to serve up the power, Nissan is being conservative. What I REALLY hate is that the FX50 makes nearly 400 horsepower and is built on the same platform, but Nissan is OK with their precious Z being out powered by a crossover.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 PM
vnarang

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
Sorry, but I think you're missing my point. Brooke here gets it. Look if markets didn't change, then the 350Z making 300ish hp would be fine. Now you have coupes in the same price range making 400+ hp. The Z definitely has a weight advantage, but that won't make up for the stop light to stoplight stomping that will ensue if Nissan doesn't do something about it. It's about market pressures. The V8 isn't likely due to CAFE standards, even if it makes sense in a lot of other ways. Nissan hasn't proven that they intend to put forced induction back in the Z in the near future. While other companies are making huge strides to serve up the power, Nissan is being conservative. What I REALLY hate is that the FX50 makes nearly 400 horsepower and is built on the same platform, but Nissan is OK with their precious Z being out powered by a crossover.
LOL! Why is he so mad i.t.d?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 PM
HoustnZ

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
I'm curious, which cars that are in the 350Z's price range and category have 400+HP and can handle better than the Z?

Last edited by HoustnZ; 08-18-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
aznguy370z

Audi tt, bmw z4, porsche boxster and cayman, etc have around 250ish to 300ish hp and this doesn't prevent them from selling their cars. In fact, audi and bmw have sedans that have more hp and are faster than their so called sports cars. I believe the 370z is similar and people are willing to buy a sports car as long as it's somewhat fast and looks somewhat fast.

I think most people forget that most z buyers are not hardcore enthusiast that mod their cars. Most don't care for a turbo or are willing to pay more for one.

A good powerful turbo would add several thousand dollars to the price of the car, if not more. I don't think nissan can jusify doing the research and design when only a small percentage of consumers are willing to pay for it.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
aznguy370z

Originally Posted by HoustnZ
I'm curious, which cars that are in the 350Z's price range and category have 400+HP and can handle better than the Z?

The new v8 camero is supposed to have 420hp 3900lbs and 0-60 under 5 seconds. But from what i read the 370z 330hp 3100lbs is supposed to be under 5 seconds too. But i'm pretty sure it won't handle like the z only because it's so much heavier and larger.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I understand what ur sayin man. I have thought this myself. If Nissan wanted to be smart they would keep the DE or HR and TT it like the skyline. That would make AMAZING sales including me and power wise be in with the C6s and handling there wouldnt be many with that same price range.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 AM
black06z

Originally Posted by aznguy370z
Audi tt, bmw z4, porsche boxster and cayman, etc have around 250ish to 300ish hp and this doesn't prevent them from selling their cars. In fact, audi and bmw have sedans that have more hp and are faster than their so called sports cars. I believe the 370z is similar and people are willing to buy a sports car as long as it's somewhat fast and looks somewhat fast.

I think most people forget that most z buyers are not hardcore enthusiast that mod their cars. Most don't care for a turbo or are willing to pay more for one.

A good powerful turbo would add several thousand dollars to the price of the car, if not more. I don't think nissan can jusify doing the research and design when only a small percentage of consumers are willing to pay for it.
+1. Great post.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vnarang
LOL! Why is he so mad i.t.d?
because i.t.d is a moron.(if he's any older than 16, i'm going to burst out laughing, because the way he presents himself with his know-it-all attitude and "never being wrong" leans towards someone who's very immature. ) Everything he has to say regaurding the 370Z is ALL missleading information. It's funny how one person can know so much about a vehicle that doesn't even exist yet. I hope that clears things up for you. All i can say is, thank god he's sticliing to just the 370z forum.

Everybody on this forum knows absolutely nothing about what Nissan is actually going to do with the new Z. Seriously, Why can't people just freaken wait for the 370Z to be revealed?

Last edited by NISMO_558; 08-19-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brooke
Bottom line if nissan does not put some hp in their next generation z it will be left far behind...
far behind what?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by aznguy370z

Yup.. Power isnt everything.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 AM
in.the.dark

because i.t.d is a moron.(if he's any older than 16, i'm going to burst out laughing, because the way he presents himself with his know-it-all attitude and "never being wrong" leans towards someone who's very immature. ) Everything he has to say regaurding the 370Z is ALL missleading information. It's funny how one person can know so much about a vehicle that doesn't even exist yet. I hope that clears things up for you. All i can say is, thank god he's sticliing to just the 370z forum.

Everybody on this forum knows absolutely nothing about what Nissan is actually going to do with the new Z. Seriously, Why can't people just freaken wait for the 370Z to be revealed?
Totally uncalled for. What I bring is a market perspective, much like aznguy370z, who made very good points by the way. I assure you that I am not 16 and don't know it all, but what I can tell you is that using the market context to determine what the 370Z is most likely going to be has yet to fail me. Oh and the 370Z exists. They're running around as we speak. Just because Nissan hasn't come out with all the details doesn't mean that it's impossible to figure things out using the context and leaked information.

Oh, and flaming is a good way to get banned here. Have you not noticed the disappearance of a few others recently? That's why I avoid childish name calling and stick to the point. Also, I bring much more than this lovely thread from you.

HoustnZ, I never mentioned handling before your post. However, I will say that even if the car is incredibly balanced, it will still succumb to the underpowered stigma that haunts other cars with amazing balace (RX-8, Miata, etc).

Last edited by in.the.dark; 08-19-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by Greg06
Yup.. Power isnt everything.
Greg, if you notice, those cars are luxury brands. Those are definitely not the same market buyers. They are the ones willing to pay nearly $50,000 for a glorified Beetle (Audi TT V6 Quattro). You are right, power isn't everything to those people, but I'm talking about different people. Obviously some of them are here and while they are not likely the largest percentage of the market, they are the ones that people ask about cars or buy the flagship trim of the car that makes the lesser ones more appealing. It's a simple market tactic employeed in many many industries. People often buy the lesser trim to have most of the image of the more impressive (and expensive) trim with a lesser price tag because they don't care about the performance. For them, there's the 2.0T FWD Audi TT. For those that want the performance, there's the Audi TT-S, with the 265hp, direct injected, turbo, AWD drivetrain. Some people are fine with the 3.5L Challenger and don't think the performance of the R/T or SRT is worth the poor gas mileage and price premium. To them they all look pretty much the same, so why pay more? I'm talking about the guys like myself, who value the added performance and have different priorities.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 08-19-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 AM
in.the.dark

far behind what?
V6 Ecoboost Mustang, Next gen Solstice/Sky, Camaro SS, the comparably priced C6 Corvette which is now readily avialable in the 30's, and tons of things just around the corner including all of the turbo RWD platforms in development. Gonna suck when those turbo Genesis coupes start hitting the streets. The underlying engine architecture for that platform is capable of power and a diet will definitely put it closer to the 370Z's power to weight ratio. If you are into modifications or turbochargers, that may be the route to go.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:32 AM
HoustnZ

It's pointless to try and compare cars that are not even on the market yet. So to say that the 370Z is going to be left behind is more than premature.

Currently there is no car that is in the 350Z's entry level price of just under $30,000 and in it's category that has 400+HP. Atleast I can not find one. And there definitely is not a 400+HP entry level sports car that has the balance of performance and handling like the 350Z for under $30,000.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
280z/300zx

in.the.dark has it right. There are a lot of cars out now or coming soon that will be in the 35k-40k price range (like the next gen Z has been rumored to be) that will be producing much more power. I mean the Challenger, Camaro, and Vette (aside from mark up the first year) will all be around 38k with 400+ hp while the 370 will be stuck with 330hp. Hp isn't everything but when people are cross shopping having more hp can really help. I'm a firm believer that Nissan needs to step it up some.

Originally Posted by HoustnZ
Vette, need I say more. And we aren't talking about the 350z anymore, we are talking about the next gen Z that is rumored to start around 35k.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by phreaktor
I'm sorry, but coming from a moderator, I don't understand this post. Are we getting out of line?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM
HoustnZ

Originally Posted by 280z/300zx
Vette, need I say more. And we aren't talking about the 350z anymore, we are talking about the next gen Z that is rumored to start around 35k.

ITD:
"Look if markets didn't change, then the 350Z making 300ish hp would be fine. Now you have coupes in the same price range making 400+ hp. The Z definitely has a weight advantage, but that won't make up for the stop light to stoplight stomping that will ensue if Nissan doesn't do something about it. It's about market pressures."

ITD said there are now coupes making 400+HP in the same price range of the Z. So my question is which car that is currently on the market for under $30,000 has 400+HP and can handle like the 350Z? So yes, we are also talking about the 350Z.
And the Vette entry level price (MSRP is $46K+). I have heard you can get them for less but But still, you cannot get a new Vette for under $30,000.
And Nissan has not announced the official price of the 370Z. IMO you will not be able to buy a new Vette for the same price as an entry level 370Z.

Last edited by HoustnZ; 08-19-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Greg06

You guys should cool it on the Vette/Z stuff... Thats how those threads and a few so and so's. Got deleted and banned.. Esp on this (370) forum..

Quick Reply: The cost of boosting...