Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The cost of boosting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 AM
in.the.dark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cost of boosting...

So, Ford came out and said that the Ecoboost option would cost about a $700 premium. Now let's say Nissan charged a $1000-$2000 premium for a twin turbo V6. I'd pay ~40K for a twin turbo Z, no doubt. How many of you think Nissan's sitting on their asses now? I know this is a difficult time for all manufacturers, but I've got a problem with the potential that there will be a twin turbo V6 mustang and the Z cars will fall prey to the competition in the power department. I know power isn't everything, but it's an effective marketing device.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM
My350P

$700 seems very optimistic on their part. But if Nissan did something comparable, I'm sure 90% of the people on this forum would drop an extra $1000 to get a factory tt in a second.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
HoustnZ

Good discussion but IMO you will not see Nissan make a TT version of the 370Z. With a price tag of 40K+ that will put the Z back to the Z32TT price tag days. Even though that 40K for the Z32TT was 12 years ago the high price was part to blame for the demise of the 300ZX. I think you will see the 370Z follow in the footsteps of the 350 and be an NA only production with the ability to go super charged or Twin Turbo via aftermarket. And IMO the 370Z will be able to hold it's own with other cars in it's group. Nissan is not stupid and the Z will be competitive.

Last edited by HoustnZ; 08-18-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by HoustnZ
Good discussion but IMO you will not see Nissan make a TT version of the 370Z. With a price tag of 40K+ that will put the Z back to the Z32TT price tag days. Even though that 40K for the Z32TT was 12 years ago the high price was part to blame for the demise of the 300ZX. I think you will see the 370Z follow in the footsteps of the 350 and be an NA only production with the ability to go super charged or Twin Turbo via aftermarket. And IMO the 370Z will be able to hold it's own with other cars in it's group. Nissan is not stupid and the Z will be competitive.
Totally agree Zsp.. uh, HoustnZ. My only wish is that Nissan had put in the time years ago to come up with a plan to keep the Z more dominant than competitive. Also, modifying factory turbo cars is far more satisfying as bolt on parts make a huge difference and there would be less need to dive into the shortblock.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
azula

^+1, not to mention warranty
Old 08-18-2008, 10:05 AM
bacalhau16

I think they are sleeping as well. The Nismo Version Z shouldve absolutely came with some sort of Forced Induction stock. Atleast a supercharger or something. Especially for that kind of money.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 AM
HoustnZ

I'll agree there is nothing like driving a turboed Z Car. And the Z32TT IMO was one of the sexiest Z's ever made. Even with a high price tag towards the end of it's reign it was really a bargain for what you got. I'm just not sure Nissan can justify the higher price tag with consumers across the board for a 370ZTT. And you are correct, modifying a production turboed car is a little easier and less expensive than doing an NA.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If Nissan chose to offer the Z in a turbo model, I think they'd charge a bit more.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with a factory twin turbo set up on the V6 in the mustang it probably won't even come close to the 330hp the 370z is suppose to come with, nissan does an awesome job puting out the horses without forced induction, but would I buy a TT 370Z? hell yes
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
vnarang

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
If Nissan chose to offer the Z in a turbo model, I think they'd charge a bit more.

Now, do you think Nissan will pull the TT off? I mean Nissan has been very quiet about the 370Z, and we're hearing more about the G37x, G37 Convertible, other Nissans, etc. What I hope is that Nissan is being very quiet because they have something big planned. However, one drawback I do see is that Nissan would go too high with the price, they lose a lot of potential consumers. $40k would sound reasonable as to how much I would personally pay for a factory TTZ. If it approaches $50K+ I'm positive that it would be detrimental to their sales figures.

I honestly don't think they're going to do it, but that would be badass.

I don't know if I made sense, so forgive me if I didn't.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Fito68

Naw bro you did. and i have to agree that if it goes for 50+ not many people would purchase it. however if it does go for 40~45 a lot would sell. if anything i think we have a great suprise to come our way.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
Even with a factory twin turbo set up on the V6 in the mustang it probably won't even come close to the 330hp the 370z is suppose to come with, nissan does an awesome job puting out the horses without forced induction, but would I buy a TT 370Z? hell yes
I'd take an underpowered factory turbo application over a high strung NA car every day of the week. There's not much power to be had out of the NA car in stock form, but due to the compromise typically built into the turbo cars, there is much left to be extracted. Turbo sounds scare most people and throwing on high flow intake and exhaust systems can be employeed to coax out those hidden ponies.

Those saying '50K', did you not read that the $700 premium is all that's going to be passed on to the consumer? Even if the base Z was 35K, a 40K turbo Z in the lineup makes sense. It's not going to happen this late in the product lifecycle if it wasn't already under development. The point is that Nissan needs to step up their game.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
RrBb2004

I think adding TT and raising the price to the $40-$50k range would be a great option. It is still a far cry from the GT-R in both price and performance, and it would leave a nice segment for the 240sx that they are supposedly bringing back. I would say a TT with 350, or what the hell...370 hp.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel like with 330hp the NA 370z will be good for that type of competition, but if they made a 370z TT, maybe step near M3 territory with 400+ hp?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RrBb2004
I think adding TT and raising the price to the $40-$50k range would be a great option. It is still a far cry from the GT-R in both price and performance, and it would leave a nice segment for the 240sx that they are supposedly bringing back. I would say a TT with 350, or what the hell...370 hp.
um, welcome to the late 90's that was the death of the last Z car (high prices).

screw ford (they need to try whatever gimmick they can anyway) and keep our Z's just the way they are
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I think Nissan did great on our Z's.... i mean, im sure they made a car with the room under the hood in many aspects that the aftermarket crowd could easily pick up and add turbos....

1. Room under hood for multiple FI applications.
2. Decent block to go FI on stock block to a point of course....even at that makes the Z a beast of a car, on and off the track.
3. Room behind the engine and fire wall for cross over pipe for ST applications.
4. Decent compression ratio pistons for adding FI to stock block.
5. Room to add bigger radiators
6. Sleeved already - of course to a point on hp.
7. Removable steering stops...grind them down and get more angle with tie rods.
8. PS cooler already plumbed.
9. etc..etc...

I love that Nissans through out their history of cars are always open to aftermarket.....not all cars are that easy..
Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks the number 350 should match the HP numbers and not the displacement? Just saying...

A TT Z would be my next buy if it actually ever happened. I'm debating going FI or buying a new car that has FI already done.

Still love the attention the Z gets everywhere I go!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM
RrBb2004

Originally Posted by Z04
um, welcome to the late 90's that was the death of the last Z car (high prices).

screw ford (they need to try whatever gimmick they can anyway) and keep our Z's just the way they are
No offense, but it sounds like you are the one living in the past...If todays market were even remotely similar to the 90s US automotive market, there is no way $80k GT-Rs would be driving around, let alone selling out at $100k... It's not like the Z is going for $20k new right now, either. Just a thought anyway, who knows for sure.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
I think Nissan did great on our Z's.... i mean, im sure they made a car with the room under the hood in many aspects that the aftermarket crowd could easily pick up and add turbos....

1. Room under hood for multiple FI applications.
2. Decent block to go FI on stock block to a point of course....even at that makes the Z a beast of a car, on and off the track.
3. Room behind the engine and fire wall for cross over pipe for ST applications.
4. Decent compression ratio pistons for adding FI to stock block.
5. Room to add bigger radiators
6. Sleeved already - of course to a point on hp.
7. Removable steering stops...grind them down and get more angle with tie rods.
8. PS cooler already plumbed.
9. etc..etc...

I love that Nissans through out their history of cars are always open to aftermarket.....not all cars are that easy..
A closed deck for better head sealing and lower compression ratio would be better for this. What's the VQ37 up to? 11:1, right? Not exactly boost friendly. 9:1 would be much better with traditional fuel injection systems (direct injection cools the charge which allows for more boost/higher compression).
Old 08-18-2008, 12:48 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres no point for nissan to have two twin turbo''d cars, the 350z has already been very competative with other forced indution vehicles. Nissan didn't put turbo's in the 350 for a reason, why would they start again? They're ahead of the game when it comes to N/A power, so a turboed Z just isn't neccasry.

And whats with all this crap you keep bringing up about "optional" equipment? like a V8 model and now this twin turbo option, can't you just wait for the damn car to be released? And who really cares about what fords doing anyways, this must be fords answer to getting V8 power out of a V6. something that nissan has already been doing for years without FI.

Last edited by NISMO_558; 08-18-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: The cost of boosting...