Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SGP Racing a Scammer?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM
coachk
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you prevail in your lawsuit/claim, your attorney can have the losing party pay for his attorneys fees. At least that's how it works in Florida.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Not a bad idea. I just wonder about the fact that we are all in different states.
You always can higher an attorney in TX as local counsel (I think that is where SGP is located).
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM
iamdigital

Does anybody have a working telephone number to SGP or Mark? I lost my PM with his cell and the number to their shop is no longer in service? Please assist.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by iamdigital
Does anybody have a working telephone number to SGP or Mark? I lost my PM with his cell and the number to their shop is no longer in service? Please assist.
I am going up there today for MRG...PM me your number again....I will have him call you.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Cass007
Couple of thoughts here..... IIRC from the Hennesy stuff that was linked a long time ago, you possibly can sue SGP in your local jurisdiction and make them fight in your backyard. Also, the idea of a quasi-class action suit sounds like the way to go since it seems like similar issues for everyone. Lastly, you should ask your attorney if he/she can either work on a contingent fee basis (they get paid out of your damages) or see if you can sue for recovery of attorney fees + money paid to SGP at the minimum.
You can file suit in your own state. However, in order to maintain the suit, your state needs to have personal jurisdiction over SGP. If he contests personal jurisdiction, the Court will look at SGPs contacts with your state. If he does alot of business in your state, then the likelyhood of your state having personal jurisdiction of SGP is greater than if you are the only one in your state he has sold to. Also, there are other factors that the courts look at when determining personal jurisdiction.

Even if you sue in your state court, SGP could have it removed to Federal Court based on diversity of citizenship.

If I had been screwed by SGP and felt I had basis for a legal suit, I would try to round up everyone else who also had reason to sue, regardless of where the live, and higher local counsel in TX to represent all of us and ask that he/she do so on contingency or some sort of group rate. If SGP is not doing well financially and does not have any assets of significance that are not financed/mortgaged, it may be tough to get someone to take this on contingency, however.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-27-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
iamdigital

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
If I had been screwed by SGP and felt I had basis for a legal suit, I would try to round up everyone else who also had reason to sue, regardless of where the live, and higher local counsel in TX to represent all of us and ask that he/she do so on contingency or some sort of group rate. If SGP is not doing well financially and does not have any assets of significance that are not financed/mortgaged, it may be tough to get someone to take this on contingency, however.

This is the plan. I'm waiting on PMs. If you are serious please PM me your contact info and I will begin to set this up. It's not just about money for most of us I think it's about making sure this doesn't happen again if you know what I mean. However, there are plenty out there who have claimed $10K plus, etc... If these are serious claims and we have enough of them I can guarantee we can make sure the problem doesn't continue.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Assuming that the shop (SGP) is not completely destitute and is still paying their insurance premiums they may have some type of settlement insurance. The issue would be that it usually would not pay out if the shop is purposefully negligent.

Thanks Terry for your advice here to those involved.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hello,

I'm curious to know (and too lazy right now to check): are SGP's user accounts on this board banned yet? In an era of IB bannings for poor business ethics (I don't feel that it's necessary to post examples) and SGP's wholly obvious apathy to reply to this thread, answer their phones, or handle their business transactions in a legitimate way, it would be strange to me that they would still have an account here that they could access.

Now that I reflect further upon the idea, I suppose that it doesn't really matter -- Mark doesn't check the board from his SGP account anymore anyways. The lurking goes on via other means, accounts, etc. Ultimately, it's sad that the overwhelming obvious evidence piling up against Mark on this board continues to pop up sans ANY reply or apology -- now that's just good business policy!

I suppose, the upside for other businesses in this market is that there's one less shark in the tank; as the economy and shoddy business ethics continue to have a wrecking ball effect on shops in this industry, the shops that maintain and overcome will naturally take on the jobs and business in general, of the consumers that would otherwise have shopped at said businesses. This proof of this idea is already present in this thread both geographically and nationally, whether blatantly or subtly -- that's not a shot, but evidence of natural selection showing through on a business level..

My thoughts..

Darren
Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
iamdigital

FYI. My attorney advised me to call Houston PD and press criminal charges as a first step in this case. After speaking with Houston PD they will press charges on property not returned as committed to.

Some awesome people on the forum are helping me out in a very cool way to get a hold of Mark and if he will call me before/on Monday, provide accurate contact information, and commit to shipping or agreeing to arranged shipping on my terms of the transmission I'll take it. Otherwise, I'm pressing criminal charges for theft and suing civilly.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
I am going up there today for MRG...PM me your number again....I will have him call you.
Any chance of doing a covert "live feed" of your interview with Mark.
You are the man that everyones counting on...
Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

We could hire Lawchick!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
We could hire Lawchick!!!
Or this outstanding forum member - Lawy'dU.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by coachk
Any chance of doing a covert "live feed" of your interview with Mark.
You are the man that everyones counting on...
You are too funny...

Or this outstanding forum member - LawChick
FIXED *****
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

^^^^ Got it now - one in the same.

I actually thought there was a member called LawChick -
Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^^^ Got it now - one in the same.

I actually thought there was a member called LawChick -
, i started calling him like that a while back when he tried to bring the "i am in law school" card
Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
XKR, nothing against you personally, but why doesn't SGP (mark) just answer his phone and deal with customers directly? For this reason alone I personally would never do business with them.

-----

We used to have them listed as a Pro Tuner but after them refusing to respond to our payment requests and them falling behind by over 6 months on payments we just stopped doing business with them. We've repaired multiple poorly build cars from SGP here at our shop and we're a manufacturer not a repair shop.

The downfall of SGP is obvious, you just don't do these kinds of things to any customer. It's their choice to do these sorts of things and if they get banned or not isn't up to us, thats a choice the moderators will make. I think it is a good idea to make a sticky thread with some valid customer issue posts so that other people don't make the same mistakes of dealing with shops like this in the future though.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by UpRev
XKR, nothing against you personally, but why doesn't SGP (mark) just answer his phone and deal with customers directly? For this reason alone I personally would never do business with them.

-----

We used to have them listed as a Pro Tuner but after them refusing to respond to our payment requests and them falling behind by over 6 months on payments we just stopped doing business with them. We've repaired multiple poorly build cars from SGP here at our shop and we're a manufacturer not a repair shop.

The downfall of SGP is obvious, you just don't do these kinds of things to any customer. It's their choice to do these sorts of things and if they get banned or not isn't up to us, thats a choice the moderators will make. I think it is a good idea to make a sticky thread with some valid customer issue posts so that other people don't make the same mistakes of dealing with shops like this in the future though.
Well, what took you so long to join the party
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by coachk
Well, what took you so long to join the party
I have a day job. Answering the phone when customers call. *ice burn*
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Well guys, i tuned the "built tranny" from SGP. The first major issue is that the TC didnt lock up till around 5000 rpms, then once it locked it slammed the rpms back down to 4400ish. Then the transmission was not consistent at all. It would randomly slip around.

It seemed to shift decently so far, i have to do some street tuning today.

Car made a conservative 451 whp on 14 psi or so with the APS tt kit. Besides the tranny, the car is flawless...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
iamdigital

Originally Posted by UpRev
XKR is simply helping all of us on here out by making stops into their shop on his own time to see what is up. He has helped get information for several of us who are not local and do not have time to fly into Houston to see what's going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SGP Racing a Scammer?