Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built motor issues with piston oil squarter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
Small claims, my friend.... besides, Albuquerque is a nice place to visit... LOL
Sup Don,

How's everything? I might just have to when I get the results back from the machine shop.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
This happened to us a long time ago. When the motor was spun over by hand and checked,it cleared the squirters.On top of that,there was no way to get in there to check the squirter clearances with the bottom-end fully assembled.

We didnt even find out there was a problem till the engine was running in a car and got up to temp.That is when the piston expanded and ran into the squirter.It broke all three within five minutes of start-up and CP pistons was like oh well,too bad and I was like F*uck you, put a stop payment on a check and have never bought from them since.And we ended up eating the engine build anyways even though it was not our fault.
you can check the squirter clearance with clay,rotate engine and remove clay,slice clay at recess and measure.....or math: if you know installed height,stroke,piston height and location of squirter in relation to piston relief you will get the same info as clay.i prefer clay,it's a physical confirmation of total clearance.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by go-fast
you can check the squirter clearance with clay,rotate engine and remove clay,slice clay at recess and measure.....or math: if you know installed height,stroke,piston height and location of squirter in relation to piston relief you will get the same info as clay.i prefer clay,it's a physical confirmation of total clearance.

We do this on heads to check valve clearance in relation to piston but what clay and all of this wont tell you is how much clearance you need for your squirters to avoid contact with a hot piston. When this happened to us,we had what seemed like a good amount of clearance even though it was not.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboTim
We do this on heads to check valve clearance in relation to piston but what clay and all of this wont tell you is how much clearance you need for your squirters to avoid contact with a hot piston. When this happened to us,we had what seemed like a good amount of clearance even though it was not.
go .0900 minimum clearance on squirter's.account for .030 expansion on piston skirt,.030 for piston rock and .030 for high rpm wierd sh$t.i verify .100 and am comfortable with that.these are my personal experience numbers and have had no issues.(alot of people leave out the piston rock math,they forget that it doesn't go straight up and down)
Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
update:

After my shop took the motor apart they found the pistons may have been install incorrect???? The grooves for the skirt were facing the wrong directions causing the oil squirters to break. WTF!?!?!?!??!?!?! I'm stun at this pt and lost for words

I wasn't there when the motor was taken apart. Does anyone know if there actually indents for the passage of the oil squirters?
Man that is messed up, I don't remember the bottom of the piston and how the cut out is but even a novice like me doing my first engine it was easy to figure out the orientation of the piston picture is worth 1000 words
Attached Thumbnails Built motor issues with piston oil squarter???-engine-018.jpg  
Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, how can they not take blame? they built the motor. sounds like you'll have to go to court on that one. who paid for the teardown?

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
BZM isn't taking responsibility so why am I happy about paying for another motor?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
wow, how can they not take blame? they built the motor. sounds like you'll have to go to court on that one. who paid for the teardown?

update:

Of course everything is coming out of my pocket but once I get the final bills I will be going after BZM.

It was determined that BZM cleared the wrong side of the pistons when doing the clearance for the oil squirters. How STUPID can he be???? No wondering he went out of business (thank god).

Now I have to wait for my local machine shop to have time to redo the clearance/rebalance everything within specs and micropolish the crank bc I'm sure he didn't even do that properly due to my rear main oil leaks in the past.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well sounds like you are on the right path now. can you still sue a defunct company?

hopefully u r back to full power soon!
Old 01-09-2017, 02:24 PM
philthethrill

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what could cause 6 oil squirters to be broken off and all cut the same