Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Rod/Piston Combination for Single Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

txs-curious...how many passes do you have down the 1/4 with your kit? How many runs do you do to 140+mph per week? These are high stress situations, much higher than your occasional romp on the throttle.

Im not picking on you, but many people claim they have FI DD, and that they rag the car but WOT through a few gears a day isnt anything IMO.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
txs-curious...how many passes do you have down the 1/4 with your kit? How many runs do you do to 140+mph per week? These are high stress situations, much higher than your occasional romp on the throttle.

Im not picking on you, but many people claim they have FI DD, and that they rag the car but WOT through a few gears a day isnt anything IMO.
+1, after i got an aggressive tune with my old vortech setup, i romped on it on the streets through a few gears no problems for two weeks. my first run down the 1/4 miles she blew.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Exactly my point lol !!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No quarter mile passes YET. The car has seen 150+ quite a few times (20+). Like I said time will tell. I will post some vids of me and a buddy with a supercharged AMG. He ran 11.01 last week and he couldn't pass me until I shifted into 6th.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 AM
sleeper832

Originally Posted by Nexx
+1, after i got an aggressive tune with my old vortech setup, i romped on it on the streets through a few gears no problems for two weeks. my first run down the 1/4 miles she blew.
was this with stock internals? How much psi were you running?

Alberto, didn't mean to quote you on this exact post, but you mentioned yours had blown twice, could you tell me exactly what went wrong?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by sleeper832

Alberto, didn't mean to quote you on this exact post, but you mentioned yours had blown twice, could you tell me exactly what went wrong?
search his old threads.. you shall find out.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I wont get into all of that here. Most of my cars history has been documented well though if you're interested OP.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 AM
sleeper832

alright alright! ill search! damn. but yeah, alberto, i live right near frederick, i know a couple of the guys that worked/hung out at pfsupercars. they do anything with z's?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
UpRev
Banned

Everyone on the internet wants to tell you how you can make XXX power and everything will be fine. No one wants to give you a free motor though when your cars dies after 15,000 miles. Trust the first person willing to put $20k into a bank account for you so that in the event your motor blows you have the funds to get it fixed.

Do yourself a favor, budget in rods and pistons, run 400-450whp and have fun. Will it last forever? No, but it sure as hell will last longer than the stock components. Especially as a daily driver that you obviously want to have a little fun in. Power isn't cheap, plan ahead, enjoy your car.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

alright alright! ill search! damn. but yeah, alberto, i live right near frederick, i know a couple of the guys that worked/hung out at pfsupercars. they do anything with z's?
I used to live in Ellicott City, Ray @ PFS fixed my car of many issues and retuned it. He is my go to guy for anything Z related now. I highly reccommend him if you were looking into doing a build without the BS of other places trying to sell you on things you dont need. He has a "budget" build holding 860whp...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM
IslandZavage

Stock Block.about 35,000k on boost...9psi...461hp/412tq on a Mustang Dyno, sh*t load of passes in the 1/4. As well as highway runs, And of course ALL my 140mph+ highway runs are computer generated ... I wont debate who drives harder but she gets hers, but yea.. theres alot of guys who mod the crap out their cars and wont go past 45mph.. I have a freind with a built Supra who never goes past 100mph(*****), but it does look good in the garage or on a dyno.(i know ur reading this matt (candy ***).lol...

BUT - I understand what the warnings of a stock motor is, and i accept the circumstances and what could happen. I dont expect it too last forever from 390hp to 463, but im planning ahead and already begun the process of building the motor.. I contribute it all to proper install/tune and just being lucky. If you cant be without your car then dont risk going FI.. (DONT take my experince for what to expect for yourself)

Like Alberto said, he's had issues with only 390hp stock block to 500plus with a built motor.. Its the luck of the draw i guess.. Everyone has different experiences with their cars.. Hell, i have to pick up a freind in a few and i doubt i'll be getting on it, but it could blow doing 50mph.. point is you never know.. You just reasearch, plan, find tuner/installer to make it less likely to be bad outcome...

my motor did 242hp/234tq bone stock on the same Mustang Dyno with only a drop-in K&N filter.

Compared to now..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsReB8XreRU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsReB8XreRU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0kkHa8jcXg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0kkHa8jcXg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

^^ Lucky bastid Nice pass!

btw...remember for every 5 guys who claim they have had no issues, there have been 5 guys who have had problems and dont post about it or arent on the forums. You will always hear of more success stories than failures otherwise nobody would be boosting these cars!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
sleeper832

^^Good call. I have done a lot of web work, advertising, etc. for these guys: http://www.dtminc.com so i might be able to work something out with them.

But i think after all ive been reading and after all this posting, its looking like a bottom end rebuild would be worth it in the the long run. After that, I'll just hope for the best and save money for the boom if it happens. Haha thanks for the info guys.

I've heard that these engines are super-touchy with balance of the crank once the rods and pistons have been changed, have you all run into any issues with that?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

you are thinking too much into it... the VQ has been under development for a while... enough vendors to handle basic short block builds to meet your goals fairly easily....

My original comment on safer 400whp on stock block is relative...There are a lot of factors in the tuning such as tunning, ems, fuel setup....Alberto has both, new tune and new ems(standalone) and his setup is better "safer" as a result, but that always goes with IFs that range from driving habbits to the quality of the tuner.
My post 9 ws more of give if you do build your block. ON the stock block if you do get the pl kit, might be best if you just run 4psi.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

if you are worried about reliability and 400whp... have you considered the Vortech? it will get you there in the power..and its a little more safer on the block. If you decide to stay stock. Just a thought.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
IslandZavage

^^ Lucky bastid Nice pass!
lol..thnkx.. Im still working on the 60 foot = 2.1sec.. / im not the best at warming the tires up either as u can see.. Hopefully i can keep the streak alive. doing a road course on the 19th April at Homestead..

OP - what you can see here from everyone is theres 2 extremes to boosting. Think past just what kit your gonna get. Also think of whos gonna install/tune, and what supporting mods your gonna do at the same time. I researched my *** off when it came to my mods, but i didnt do a thing until i researched it / spoke to the tuner 1st... In most cases they saved me money from uneeded things/helped me better understand what i was doing.. Also READ the stickies at the top of the FI forum. Alot of valuable info there.. I know im glued to the BUILT MOTORS GUYS...WHAT DO YOU REGRET thread.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2.87 pulley 12psi.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM
athensgls
Banned

Nobody on this site has broken an Eagle rod AFAIK, and some people push serious power through them.
i broke TWO eagle rods N/A
@ 8:5:1
on regular daily driving.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Rommy

Originally Posted by athensgls
i broke TWO eagle rods N/A
@ 8:5:1
on regular daily driving.
I rest my case.

Quick Reply: Rod/Piston Combination for Single Turbo