Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need some HELP with Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Z_Nick_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some HELP with Vortech

Well here is a copy of my dyno sheet. It starts to lean out pretty bad around 3300 rpm and it just gets worse and worse. I am using all of the stock vortech components (fmu,emu,inline pump,and SS box). My mods are exhaust, test pipes, and plenum spacer. Should it be leaning out this bad with just these mods? Also it seems i have a boost leak somewhere because its barely getting over 5 psi of boost. And i know it sounds weird but i have the a 3.25 pulley on there. I know its an oddball pulley size but it was included with the used kit i bought. I was thinking maybe a combination of the pulley size and breather mods is causing the leaning. So any feedback would be appreciated. Also does anyone have the R4 tuning software for the SS box they could send me?

Last edited by Z_Nick_Z; 03-10-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FMU/SS box nonsense is your main issue. I dunno how many cars we've moved over to a proper setup and solved all the safety/driveability issue.

Atleast you were smart enough to toss it on a dyno and check to see if it was running safe.

This isn't just a Vortech issue, we see it in most basic bolt on kits. I'd contact Vortech first and see if they can get you dialed in to atleast a safe AFR. Also you might want to think about getting the standard pulley from them.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Netacoma2003

Looks to me like it's getting richer @ ~3K (not leaner) and then leaning out up until redline. The 3.12 pulley is supposed to make about 10PSI but I've read where that's dependant on the mods since restriction correlates into boost readings (e.g. free flowing exhaust lessens restriction and therefore less boost is created).

I am not a tuner though, merely regurgitating what I've been told.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Z_Nick_Z

Originally Posted by UpRev
The FMU/SS box nonsense is your main issue. I dunno how many cars we've moved over to a proper setup and solved all the safety/driveability issue.

Atleast you were smart enough to toss it on a dyno and check to see if it was running safe.

This isn't just a Vortech issue, we see it in most basic bolt on kits. I'd contact Vortech first and see if they can get you dialed in to atleast a safe AFR. Also you might want to think about getting the standard pulley from them.
So can vortech just send me a flash or something? would the R4 software even benefit to get this into a safe range?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
jpc350

You bought a used kit and probably have no idea what the SS Box has been tuned to.. You definitely need to get to a tuner that is familiar with the R4 S/W and get it tuned before damage..Exhaust mod's should not make it that lean..They are not unusual for most Vortech owners..
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Z_Nick_Z

I am definitely going to get the R4 software. I hope i can find someone on here that can just email it to me.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

You could drive over and bring us the car if you would like and we could fully tune it for you. It sounds like you might have another issue going on as well if it is leaning out.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
frankie945

Sell that SSbox and inline fuel pump. Get some 440cc or bigger injectors(depends on your power goals), walbro 255 in the tank. And buy a utec. More power and way more safety. Supercharger's require way more fuel then turbo's. Water/Meth might be a good Idea too. Oh yea make sure your belts are tight........
Old 03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
cwylie

I have the software if you want it. $20
Old 03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Car vs. Driver

Originally Posted by Netacoma2003
Looks to me like it's getting richer @ ~3K (not leaner) and then leaning out up until redline. The 3.12 pulley is supposed to make about 10PSI but I've read where that's dependant on the mods since restriction correlates into boost readings (e.g. free flowing exhaust lessens restriction and therefore less boost is created).

I am not a tuner though, merely regurgitating what I've been told.
Correct ... I'm only getting 10.9PSI with a 2.87 pulley because of my breathinh mods. SC will make more power with less boost when you open up the exhaust and intake.

+1 on the get a tune sentiment. I also completely agree that you should get rid of the SS box and go with better EM and fuel upgrades.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^+1

Don't waste your time with SS box, go with better ems. Take it to good tuner and get a fully tune. Sounds like jermey wants to help you out.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Z_Nick_Z

you guys are making it hard!!!! haha.

im not looking for big power or anything. Just a good conservative tune that i can enjoy as a DD. The shop i deal with a few really experienced tuners. I trust there work. Not to say though that i wouldnt love to take it over to AAM, its just to far of a drive from here

Thanks for all of the help so far everyone
Old 03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by Zippy_z

im not looking for big power or anything. Just a good conservative tune that i can enjoy as a DD. The shop i deal with a few really experienced tuners. I trust there work. Not to say though that i wouldnt love to take it over to AAM, its just to far of a drive from here

We are not making it hard on you... we are helping you out.

IF you have some cash, go with what people are saying.. 440cc injectors, UTEC, and walbro and bring it to a good tuner.

If you dont want to spend money on those I would seriously AT THE MINIMUM consider taking it to Jeremy he is very knowledgeable about vortechs and could tune your car safely.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Zippy_z

Spend money spend money buy buy buy~

You didn't answer my question on other thread... is yours V2 or V3?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Z_Nick_Z

I definitely do appreciate everyones help. Thats the whole reason for this thread. I hope i can get it all figured out and get it running safely.I may look into brining it to AAM and making a "spring break" out of it haha.

and to chef, its a V-2

sooo keep the feedback coming

Last edited by Z_Nick_Z; 03-10-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Z_Nick_Z

Whats a good A/F to shoot for?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Asian Invasian

my assumption would be 11.0..?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Z_Nick_Z

Thats what i assumed as well.

I have been in contact with Injected Performance in KY to get this all sorted out. They are a very reputable shop and im sure they will get me rolling
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Z_Nick_Z

Thats what i assumed as well.

I have been in contact with Injected Performance in KY to get this all sorted out. They are a very reputable shop and im sure they will get me rolling
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
350Z400rwhp

Did you do the boost pressure test after you got everything installed like I told you to? haha Look up my "Homemade boost test kit" and do that first. You could also have belt slip going on. I know it seems like a pain and more $ but since you are having issues it would be wise to just go with a Utec, DW 600s and a Walboro 255 and have it tuned at Injected since they are pretty close to you. Might take another week to get things together but not blowing your motor is always a good thing. I would just order a 3.12 from Vortech while you are at it. You might even be able to find one used along with the Utec. I would buy the injectors and fuel pump new. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Need some HELP with Vortech