Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI standard Belt set up (teeth on smooth side of pulley? doesn't make sense)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
SILKZ03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI standard Belt set up (teeth on smooth side of pulley? doesn't make sense)

Any reason the belt is ran under the smooth pulley versus the standard set up that ATI has? yeah, it does make sence that is be ran under the pulley since the teeth would be on the top of the pulley as the standard set up. Will it make the procharger run more efficent? I know JayZ doesnt have the supercharger anymore but Im sure he can anwer the question since he did it.

Im heading for another tune this week. On the first tune I had the belt under the pulley with the smooth side against it (item#12). With this tune, the tuner noticed that the belts were not the standard ATI set up (item#5). So changed it back to the original setup ATI had with the teeth on the outside of the pulley (item#5). Should I leave it or have him change it back. Honeslty I never knew it wasn't setup right the first time. According to my tuner it wasn't set up as it was intended but......just doesn't make since with teeth on the outside of the smooth pulley...why not put smooth to smooth and place it under (item#12). JayZ did this for a reason. Hey need help quick so I can tell him to change it back before he tunes.

see item #5 pic and #12

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-20psi.html

Last edited by SILKZ03; 03-10-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Nice talking with you today. Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
frankie945

I always ran the standard setup when I was Procharged. Never any problems. Every one that has been Procharged will have there own opinion on this topic.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
Nice talking with you today. Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks for the advice man. I got um to change it back to under the pullley. I rather like it that way. Oh and thanks for the Flex Brace...the shop said it was a Biiiiatch putting it in.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
frankie945

If you are planing on just 9psi you do not need the brace. The procharger mount only starts to flex when you go above 12psi.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
ACI318

I have personally worked on two Z's and one G with the Procharger on it, all three on the 9 psi pulley. We ran the belt the way Procharger shows and had no problems.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
SILKZ03

Thanks for the replys. I was just wondering would the change make a difference in output and belt wear. Efficient wise and longevity of belt since the teeth would be wearing againt the pulley. I did call procharger and they said it wouldn't make a difference as far as output either way, under or over.....just a personal preference. I think since my first tune was done with it under...I stick with that...but I have the thing about keeping things like this as it was intended from manufacturer. Thanks again.

Last edited by SILKZ03; 03-10-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procharger wasnt made to route it under but if you wanna try it out fine by me.. I have been there done that.. Dont do it, it wasnt intended that way.. The AAM brace wont make a difference IMO btw, it didnt do **** for me (way over priced too)... Yea it was a PITA install too, basically I had to remove the entire procharger to put in that brace... AAM had sent me the wrong bolts twice and talked to me like I was crazy when I said they didnt thread through the bracket lol..

If your running over 16psi your belts will break no matter what.. IMO its not worth it but the only solution is a total change of pulley design or somehow make another tensioner pulley, kinda like the GTM Vortech mod..
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
SILKZ03

Thanks for the input man....I was wait'n for you to hit me up! yeah, I know you been there done that...and this is old. Right! I've thought about it and rather keep it the way they (procharger) intended it to be...too easy. Thanks dawg!