Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

STS-oil in charge pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
ramairZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS-oil in charge pipes?

Any of you STS turbo owners experiencing oil in your charge tubes? I have about 3000 easy miles on my set-up and for the last 1000 miles I've had to flush the charge tubes and intercooler 10 times to remove the oil so the MAF sensor does not screw up the A/F and set off the SEL. This happens within 3-5 miles of city driving. Talked with STS and was told oil Check valve spring might need to be upgraded to a higher psi. Any other ideas out there as to what's causing this problem?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
WASHWIZ

Do you keep the oil pump on high?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM
athenG

Do you have an Oil Catch Can? It is probably a blowby coz If the oil is going past your turbo then you will see a lot of smoke too..
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairZ
Any of you STS turbo owners experiencing oil in your charge tubes? I have about 3000 easy miles on my set-up and for the last 1000 miles I've had to flush the charge tubes and intercooler 10 times to remove the oil so the MAF sensor does not screw up the A/F and set off the SEL. This happens within 3-5 miles of city driving. Talked with STS and was told oil Check valve spring might need to be upgraded to a higher psi. Any other ideas out there as to what's causing this problem?

Thanks
I have a rear mounted turbo myself and most likely the issue is the oil feed line, do you have a restrictor on the inlet of the turbo? Usually what happens is that the turbo is getting too much oil pressure and its leaking through the seals it into the charge pipe. Also, another issue with these setups is when you shut off the car, you should always leave the pump running a bit so that it pulls all the oil thats remaining in the line, that whay when car is off that oil does not go back into the turbo and sit there leaking passed the seals. (i solved this using a turbo timer, set it for w/e time u want, so when u turn off car, it runs and turns off the pump on its own, dont have to wait around for it). These are the most common issues with oil in RMT setups. iv done ALOT of troubleshooting with it for a couple of years, since i built my own, so this is speaking from experience. good luck
Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
athenG

/\ That could be routing issue. I had this problem especially when I'm parked on an inclined where my front is higher than my rear. When the car is shutdown the oil goes back to the turbo so when I start the car all I see is smoke... My oil return line wasnt routed properly and that was the cause of it but after re-routing it right I dont have this issue anymore..

Here's what's on the STS Manual..

Route the oil return hose to the underside of the turbo, cut to length and install securely on the barbed fitting as
shown in diagram #12. (Note: The oil return hose must be routed up as high as possible over the rear
differential. Keep the vertical rise in the hose steep and short on the back side near the turbo
.)
This create a loop that will block the oil from backing up...

Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
WASHWIZ

^thought that is what the check value is for. Reason I asked about the pump speed is b/c I had a similar issue (leaking from the housing).
Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
ramairZ

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ That could be routing issue. I had this problem especially when I'm parked on an inclined where my front is higher than my rear. When the car is shutdown the oil goes back to the turbo so when I start the car all I see is smoke... My oil return line wasnt routed properly and that was the cause of it but after re-routing it right I dont have this issue anymore..

Here's what's on the STS Manual..

This create a loop that will block the oil from backing up...

I have a catch can, oil return line is routed per STS manual and live in Florida, 10-15% incline on driveway, which I have been backing into for the last 1000 miles. Still have the oil problem.