Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

2 step launch control

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
would the kp tech device work with uprev?
It works with any VQ. Odd, that it doesn't hold revs properly on an HR. I would be pretty upset about that. I will post a review once I get mine installed and have a chance to use it at the next track day probably late feb or march.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 PM
KPierson_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f150intally
I bought the KP Tech device and had it installed on my HR by Z1 Motorsports. It was a bish to install because the instructions were intended for the DE. I haven't effectively used it yet because I have the street tires. Tested it in the driveway and pissed my wife off in the house. It works OK but doesn't hold the revs as steady as it does on the YouTube video. The rpm bounces pretty inconsistently. I will try to make a movie and upload.
I would like to see this video as well. Do you know where they got the tach signal from? What RPM did you have it set at?

Also, I would double check to make sure it is setup for a 6 cylinder motor - this is detailed in the installation manual.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 AM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KPierson_
I would like to see this video as well. Do you know where they got the tach signal from? What RPM did you have it set at?

Also, I would double check to make sure it is setup for a 6 cylinder motor - this is detailed in the installation manual.
Thanks for responding Kevin. I was actually thinking about emailing you. I will get the answers to your questions so we can get it working properly. It just doesn't work as smooth as it did on the videos and they said the instructions seemed to be DE specific. Have you had good success with the HR motors?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM
KPierson_

I haven't personally installed one on an HR motor, but it shouldn't make a difference. The actual EFI operation of one motor to the next shouldn't affect performance.

Another possible issue could be that they did not interrupt the coil wire in the right spot. The module must be able to kill power to ALL coils in order to work properly. On Nissan motors they have a power wire that loops through all the coils and it stays the same color the entire way. If you interrupt the wire at a point where it is only cutting 5 out of 6 coils it will lead to RPM bouncing as there will be a cylinder that isn't getting cut properly. Since our module randomly cuts cylinders to prevent the same cylinder from receiving excessive fuel this problem can be very intermittent as you describe.

The bottom line is that a two step module should hold RPM extremely consistent and if it isn't then something isn't correct.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
f150intally

Could this be why it backfires a little as well? Dumping fuel into one cylinder?

I haven't personally installed one on an HR motor, but it shouldn't make a difference. The actual EFI operation of one motor to the next shouldn't affect performance.

Another possible issue could be that they did not interrupt the coil wire in the right spot. The module must be able to kill power to ALL coils in order to work properly. On Nissan motors they have a power wire that loops through all the coils and it stays the same color the entire way. If you interrupt the wire at a point where it is only cutting 5 out of 6 coils it will lead to RPM bouncing as there will be a cylinder that isn't getting cut properly. Since our module randomly cuts cylinders to prevent the same cylinder from receiving excessive fuel this problem can be very intermittent as you describe.

The bottom line is that a two step module should hold RPM extremely consistent and if it isn't then something isn't correct.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
KPierson_

If connected improperly it won't dump fuel in one cylinder, it will prevent one (or possibly more) cylinders from losing spark, thus the 2 step will lose the ability to control RPM.

I'll have to see a video of it running to comment on backfiring - there are many reasons why it could backfire. You have to remember that with most aftermarket 2 steps you will be pumping raw fuel out of the motor in to the exhaust. If the exhaust is hot (which it will be) the chances for the fuel to combust in your exhaust is high - thus backfiring will happen.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
f150intally

Ok, thanks. I will post the vid tonight.

If connected improperly it won't dump fuel in one cylinder, it will prevent one (or possibly more) cylinders from losing spark, thus the 2 step will lose the ability to control RPM.

I'll have to see a video of it running to comment on backfiring - there are many reasons why it could backfire. You have to remember that with most aftermarket 2 steps you will be pumping raw fuel out of the motor in to the exhaust. If the exhaust is hot (which it will be) the chances for the fuel to combust in your exhaust is high - thus backfiring will happen.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 step should just hold you rpm at a set point, no different than if you pushed the gas pedal down yourself. It shouldnt really build much boost if any.

anti-lag is a totally different thing. That pulls timing and builds boost by causing the fuel to explode in the turbo. A proper anti-lag will allow you to input a target boost and then retard timing based the 2-step rpm setpoint to hit that target boost.

I dont think the KP module is anti-lag, only 2 step.

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by str8dum1
2 step should just hold you rpm at a set point, no different than if you pushed the gas pedal down yourself. It shouldnt really build much boost if any.

anti-lag is a totally different thing. That pulls timing and builds boost by causing the fuel to explode in the turbo. A proper anti-lag will allow you to input a target boost and then retard timing based the 2-step rpm setpoint to hit that target boost.

I dont think the KP module is anti-lag, only 2 step.
I agree, it is not designed to work as an anti-lag. I will however admit that it builds 2-3psi when engaging the two-step.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
f150intally

Sorry, it was storming in Tallahassee last night so I did not get video. Plan to tonight.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
f150intally

Kevin, Sorry it took me a few nights. Wife asked me to go to the grocery so I pulled into the hotel down the road and caught a quick video. Really noticeable on the second pedal to the floor. What do you think this could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27NpnY2Eojc
Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM
KPierson_

Just watched the video - obviously there is something wrong. It's hard to say exactly what it is without tearing in to the car. The module appears to be working correctly as it is trying to control RPM, is just can't.

A couple questions:

1. Did you verify that the module is set to 6 cylinder? A 4 or 8 cylinder program won't work and will cause issues maintaining RPM.

2. What was the RPM setpoint? I would like to know if the RPM is generally over or under the setpoint.

3. Can you set the RPM to 3,000 RPM and make another video holding it it a little longer?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM
f150intally

Just watched the video - obviously there is something wrong. It's hard to say exactly what it is without tearing in to the car. The module appears to be working correctly as it is trying to control RPM, is just can't.

A couple questions:

1. Did you verify that the module is set to 6 cylinder? A 4 or 8 cylinder program won't work and will cause issues maintaining RPM.

2. What was the RPM setpoint? I would like to know if the RPM is generally over or under the setpoint.

3. Can you set the RPM to 3,000 RPM and make another video holding it it a little longer?
1. I have not personally verified that the module is set to 6 cylinder but I will.
2. Not sure what the RPM setpoint is.
3. Yes, I will set the 3k limiter and make another video.
4. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 AM
djamps

Got mine installed last night... aside from a minor snafu (harness shipped with two wires reversed requiring call to KP) it appears to work as advertised and holds RPMs steady. l built 3lbs of boost at 4k within a couple seconds...could probably do more but I'm not trying to kill the cats.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats cool it works outta the box. still working on the PID logic to get 2step to stop hunting for the rpm
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
djamps

One thing we discovered is that the injector and coil power wire are both the same color and same location LOL... it would be really easy to intercept the wrong one or reverse the polarity of the pair of wires going to the relay. We did continuity tests between interception point and the coil/injector before soldering to be 100% sure what was what.

The nice thing is everything you need under the hood can be found in the battery compartment and easy to reach...I can switch between ignition or fuel cut in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited by djamps; 02-16-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by f150intally
I bought the KP Tech device and had it installed on my HR by Z1 Motorsports. It was a bish to install because the instructions were intended for the DE. I haven't effectively used it yet because I have the street tires. Tested it in the driveway and pissed my wife off in the house. It works OK but doesn't hold the revs as steady as it does on the YouTube video. The rpm bounces pretty inconsistently. I will try to make a movie and upload.
My instructions weren't specific to ANY type of vehicle. Where does it mention DE?

We ended up using the service manual to locate what we needed... not a big deal.

Like Kevin said, sounds like you guys may have intercepted the wrong coil loop and aren't killing all the coils.

I actually intercepted the coils and everything else right in the battery compartment.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

With your MPH and the 2 step, I see 11.60's in your Future

Originally Posted by djamps
My instructions weren't specific to ANY type of vehicle. Where does it mention DE?

We ended up using the service manual to locate what we needed... not a big deal.

Like Kevin said, sounds like you guys may have intercepted the wrong coil loop and aren't killing all the coils.

I actually intercepted the coils and everything else right in the battery compartment.

Last edited by OldManZ350; 02-17-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by djamps

Thanks. I will check out the install. Quite honestly, just haven't had the time or desire to pull it apart because I haven't bought my tires yet.

Last edited by f150intally; 02-17-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
With your MPH and the 2 step, I see 11.60's in your Future
Hope so....I've already nailed 1.6 60ft a few times but not consistent (1.7-1.8 is more typical), hopefully this makes 1.5-1.6 my new norm??? the flat foot shifting might also solve another issue which has been hurting my traps/et. We shall see Mar 3. hopefully.

Quick Reply: 2 step launch control