Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New winter new turbo build

Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New winter new turbo build

RESULTS at 8psi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dyXXbS0oSo

Well guys, the time has come. The winter (at least up here) has begun, so I am under the car again.

This is the original build thread: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...brication.html

This kit that I am working on is not for me, but for a "customer" I guess you can say. It will be a bit different as I have learned a few thing when it comes to building a turbo system. I will point these things out as the build goes.

So first of I will start with the most importan things, new tools I have purchased.

Heart of the entire operation is the welder. This is an AC/DC high frequency machine. I sold my old one to my boss, and got this unit for $1600. I am supper happy with it, and once all the dials are set properly it almost welds byitself.

Second purchase is a new saw. I LOVE THIS THING. It is not your traditional abrasive cutting wheel, but a toothed carbite blade, much like you have on your circular saw. The cuts are incredebly clean and not one burr, so there is no wasting time cleaning the inside of the turbing. Never used one before, or even knew about it untill I saw it in a flyer. $500 later and it is now my.

I also went out and got a two bulb flourecent fixture. This beats any trouble light out there:

On to the new piping, once again I choose 409 stainless do to it's ability to withstand heat/corrosion and most importantly no cracking. This time around I am doing all the pre turbo plumbing with 2.5" piping. I found that the 2" crossover pipe was too small and restrictive causing my bank one wideband to read richer under WOT boost runs. This was bothering me for a long time, and the problems went away when I switched the 2" piping with 2.5". You don't see this on other kits because other turbo manufacturers don't put a wideband in the crossover pipe.

New turbor. On the left is my old Garrett T04S 60-1 turbo with a large S compressor cover. On the right is the same turbo with an "E" compressor cover. This will alowe me to tuck the turbo even higher than the old one. I have to say the old setup was plenty high and I have gone over Wall Mart speed bumps withough any issues. Turbo performance stays the same with a smaller compressor cover. One VERY IMPORTANT thing to note is that the compressor cover will NOT have to be modified. I changed the IC piping routing so that the turbo can be installed right off the shelf. This will allow for easy turbo upgrades down the road. A precision 6262 can also be bough with an "E" compressor cover and those are capable of 600whp on this platform. I know of a shop running twin 6262's with this configuration and made 1200whp.

I have been practicing my aluminum welding as well. It is very easy once the welder is setup, some 2.5" tubing, just needs to be polished:

All stocked up:

All IC piping will be aluminum ofcourse, and all the ends are beed rolld. This will allow for worry free high boost applications, as there is no chance of couplers to slip off:

Like mentioned before, the IC piping routing will be changed for the better:

Intercooler wil be different as well:

It will have a 21x11x3 core with 3" inlet and 3" outlet, also capable of supporting plenty of power.

We will see hot this goes, and how many of these kits I can make. If you have questions/comments chime right in.

Something else I should mention, with this setup there won't be any need to heat wrap any of the OEM wiring, making it a very straight forward install.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 04-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed your other thread and was impressed with the results. In to see this one as well. Good luck
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
I followed your other thread and was impressed with the results. In to see this one as well. Good luck
I think you will be even more impressed with this build.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
bigcloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.. I am extremely impressed with your engineering/fab skills!! I will send you a PM to chat more!!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
CRIDDA

Sasha- next up twins middle/rear mount
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
XKR

Keep up the good work
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice. Ya E covers are very VQ friendly. But the ported s cover look sick, not to mention the 4" intake pipes!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
sublimemoment

Any idea about what cost for this kit will be?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by sublimemoment
Any idea about what cost for this kit will be?
PM me, there are options.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crank up the production, start spitting them out. Start a sweat shop in your garage making turbo kits. Good work Sasha I hope you are able to sell a bunch of them
Old 10-30-2009, 05:58 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Crank up the production, start spitting them out. Start a sweat shop in your garage making turbo kits. Good work Sasha I hope you are able to sell a bunch of them

We shall see how it goes. If I can sell a few, you may have some competition in at the track from another VQ....

Now you just need to convince one of your G35 friends to come up here so I can test fit the kit on a G. Would be a nice discount tooo.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-30-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Did you ever get solid numbers on the old build?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm excited. In for this build.

Hopefully i'll have my built motor in early this winter so i can get this turbo setup started.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you were going to do something like that, I'd seriously consider compound turbo'ing. That setup is ideal for it. run 1 turbo where he has it now and 1 where the STS goes.

One small one and then like a 80 or 90mm in the back. That would be soo sick
Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Cass007
Did you ever get solid numbers on the old build?
No, I didn't really push it and wanted to keep the engine from blowig up. Knowing that the turbo can push 60lb+ of air, I know that it can produce plenty of power.

Compressor map:

The intercooler is larger, and some 550cc injectors will be included so the potential is there. Just need a built block. There is also a Garrett Stage 5 turbine that comes in this turbo configuration, and that thing can push even more cfm.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-30-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
tig488

the turbo performance will be different with the E cover, roughly 10% decrease. but great work, cant wait to see the results.

Last edited by tig488; 10-30-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by tig488
the turbo performance will be different with the E cover, roughly 10% decrease. but great work, cant wait to see the results.
I have contacted several people, and they tell me that the loses are minimal at best. Almost not even noticable, I know the APS ST system uses an even smaller compressor cove and manages good numbers.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are liking your new Tig Welder? looks like an inverter machine. HOw is the manufacturer?

I have been thinking about getting an AC/DC inverter Tig welder. Been looking at the Thermal Arc 185 and also the Lincoln Invertec V205. The miller Dynasty 200dx is just too much $$$. What are your thoughts?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
If you were going to do something like that, I'd seriously consider compound turbo'ing. That setup is ideal for it. run 1 turbo where he has it now and 1 where the STS goes.

One small one and then like a 80 or 90mm in the back. That would be soo sick
oooooh.....i like where your thinking is
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
tig488

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I have contacted several people, and they tell me that the loses are minimal at best. Almost not even noticable, I know the APS ST system uses an even smaller compressor cove and manages good numbers.
a garrett tech told me that each time you go down in size its roughly 10% loss in flow. S, E, the APS uses a B cover. the aps does not make good numbers. on built motors they max out around 500whp. the GTM upgrade is a little better, but i think its the E cover too. iirc, the intense kits use an S and get the best results. i cant swear to it because its been a LONG time since I had my aps kit, but the E cover does flow less than the S, thats why I changed mine to an S. your going from a .70 AR to a .50 AR.

Last edited by tig488; 10-30-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New winter new turbo build