Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Little Sedan Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice to see a sedan owner going all out!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to think outside the box, OP! I can't wait to see it all finished up.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 AM
VQTHUNDER

The engine went back in this morning so we could address a few clearance issues before final assembly
Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
SouthernG35

The Money Shot!!!!

Dont pay attention to the cam gears and the missing upper intake and spark plug cover. The cover is out for chroming, the intake is out for polishing and I have HKS cam gears on the way!! Also the compressor housing outlet will be relocated. That is one issue we have.

Stay tuned more pics coming soon!!!!!!!!

Once again big thanks to Chris, Avery and Zac at TDC for all the hard work and patience on this project. You guys are doing a great job!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Sweet!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
1GR8350Z

Awesome work Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wheres the rest of the intake manifold? seems that needs alot more clearance as well
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 AM
SouthernG35

Originally Posted by str8dum1
wheres the rest of the intake manifold? seems that needs alot more clearance as well
The upper intake is out for polishing and should be back any day. Yes there are some small issues there but nothing a little "body modification" want fix . We will have to beat a small section in but you will not be able to tell after the intake is on.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Nealoc187

I like seeing cool swap, yet I don't like seeing people give up on the VQ. Cool and not cool all at the same time lol.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are on crack if you think you'll end up spending less money in the long run vs. building the VQ. Not to mention all the little bugs and issues that you will no doubt run into.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
SouthernG35

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
You are on crack if you think you'll end up spending less money in the long run vs. building the VQ. Not to mention all the little bugs and issues that you will no doubt run into.
Never said that I would spend less. At this point I am at about the same as a VQ build and Greedy Twins. I am doing the swap to be different from everyone else. You know lead dont follow! I am sure that there will be a few bugs to work out but that will be with any build. This is not something 100% new. The 2J swap has been installed in numerous 350's.

Last edited by SouthernG35; 12-17-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by SouthernG35
Never said that I would spend less. At this point I am at about the same as a VQ build and Greedy Twins. I am doing the swap to be different from everyone else. You know lead dont follow! I am sure that there will be a few bugs to work out but that will be with any build. This is not something 100% new. The 2J swap has been installed in numerous 350's.
Did you forget that you typed this?

After selling off 100% of the drive train, engine, ecu, wiring harness, and turbo set up I will be out less money than I would have been doing a built block TT setup (all labor is being performed at no cost to me on this setup).
You want to be different, yet you are doing a swap that's already been done?
Furthermore, how many daily driven Zs are running 2JZs? I'm pretty sure the ones that have them don't drive around much.

The whole point is that a swap should be done when the factory powerplant in a car is insufficient/not cost effective for the performance desired. This is definitely not the case with the VQ.

You are just asking for problems and issues....mark my words.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 12-17-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
SouthernG35

I apologize you are correct in what I said as less. I should have stated that this swap in total is costing me less or about the same. I am paying nothing for the labor which is saving me a good deal of cash. I am not debating the VQ's ability. I like the 2JZ and think it is a cool swap. You are correct there are a few in the 350's but there is no sedans with this setup. I respect your opinion as far as the swap goes and knew going in that here would be poeple that would think it was a waste. I think its cool and apparently so do alot of othes.

By the way this is not a daily driver. My car has less than 50K and was bought new. It will be lucky to see 5K a year.

Last edited by SouthernG35; 12-17-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
VQTHUNDER

BriGuyMax, thanks for sharing.

I'm the one performing Tims swap, and Its great to see all the varying opinions on this setup. I agree that the VQ is a great engine, having owned 3 turbo charged 350z's myself. But good can always be better, and great can become awesome.

Much like the LSX RX7's that we do, some guys love it, and some despise it. But to say that this car will become problematic is just flat out wrong. We've shoved 2JZ engines in every conceivable RWD platform with absolutely no issues, and there's no reason that a G35 can't be as reliable as those. But since you have some info that I'm not aware of, could you offer some advise?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM
boostedmaxima

Wow, interesting setup. Looking forward to the results and videos!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by VQTHUNDER
BriGuyMax, thanks for sharing.

I'm the one performing Tims swap, and Its great to see all the varying opinions on this setup. I agree that the VQ is a great engine, having owned 3 turbo charged 350z's myself. But good can always be better, and great can become awesome.

Much like the LSX RX7's that we do, some guys love it, and some despise it. But to say that this car will become problematic is just flat out wrong. We've shoved 2JZ engines in every conceivable RWD platform with absolutely no issues, and there's no reason that a G35 can't be as reliable as those. But since you have some info that I'm not aware of, could you offer some advise?

Thanks.
The more things you change, the more issues you open yourself up to. It's a simple fact of modifying vehicles. I don't care how good your wiring job is, it won't be as good as the OEM setup and we all know electrical gremlins can be quite a *****.

You can talk all day about how successful all these swaps you've done have been, but it's the same rhetoric I hear from every shop about all the builds they do being so fantastic. I know for all the success stories, there are plenty of problems too.

With that I will end my contributions to this thread. Good luck with the swap, I hope that everything works perfectly and the car has no issues.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 12-17-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I apologize you are correct in what I said as less. I should have stated that this swap in total is costing me less or about the same. I am paying nothing for the labor which is saving me a good deal of cash. I am not debating the VQ's ability. I like the 2JZ and think it is a cool swap. You are correct there are a few in the 350's but there is no sedans with this setup. I respect your opinion as far as the swap goes and knew going in that here would be poeple that would think it was a waste. I think its cool and apparently so do alot of othes.

By the way this is not a daily driver. My car has less than 50K and was bought new. It will be lucky to see 5K a year.
I'm not bashing the swap.. but as for cost effectiveness.. ummm yea NO way. I love 2J's, being a Toyota guy to the core... I'm very familiar with the swap amongst the Toyota population and it was expensive even then. I can only imagine the bill(Parts) on this swap. The R154 tranny for instance is a rare piece, if that thing gets messed up.. Heaven help you getting the required pieces to fix it. Everything for the 2J is tad more expensive than the VQ... I love the setup dont get me wrong, but to say its as cost effective as the TT set up.. Your definitely wrong. For long term you cant lose with the VQ.. its plain math, More VQ's in Nissan vehicles than 2JZGTE's in Toyota's. I can tell you from personal experience (Master Parts Counterman for Both Toyo and Lexus) 2J parts are going up in price due to supply and demand. Enough of my rant.. I love the swap and it kicks ***.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Ztouring04

wow awesomee...in for finall results
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM
VQTHUNDER

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
Awesome work Chris
Thanks for the props Jason. After the conversation we had this morning, I'm ready to get Tim's G done so we can start on yours.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 PM
1GR8350Z

Throwing cost aside this bulid is going to be awesome. The 2JZ is one of the best if not the best platform ever. I can understand where VQ purist might be offended but when this is done I don't see anyone having anything negative to say.

Quick Reply: My Little Sedan Build