Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Z_Nick_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you definitely have a good head on your shoulders and reasons to justify your decisions. i say go for what you want because like you just stated, who knows what tomorrow can bring
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by bubblehead-g
I do know that as a reasonable person, I would be much better off putting the 20 or 30k away somewhere earning interest. There are tons of ways to do it, I prefer mutual funds, I find them less risky. As far as the economy, I am fortunate not to be affected by the swings too much. My choice 8 years ago to volunteer for submarines has paid off in that my rating has been chronically undermanned the entire time I have been in. I have been promoted insanely fast and really the only way I could lose my job would be drugs or some sort of random submarine disqualifying injury. My job security is very high because the Navy just doesn't have people to replace me. Although to be honest a chimpanzee could do my job. My wife is a nurse and she really never has problems finding work either. Blind luck I guess.

Thanks for all the help so far. I am investing some of the money, but I am definitely buying myself a toy as well. The way I look at it is that twice a year I fall off the face of the earth and have to work in a tube surrounded by cold liquid that spends 24 hours a day trying to find a way to kill me. I think I owe myself the satisfaction of a FI vq or similarly fun ride. Who knows what could happen to me in 5 years, the USS Hartford got ran over a few months ago by another Navy ship and from what I have seen and the training we got on it that entire crew is only alive due to complete random chance. If that collision had happened 30 or 40 feet farther back they would have all been dead on bottom of ocean. We had to listen to the open mic recording from the control room when that collision happened, and it's probably the worst thing I have ever heard. So I guess that is one of the reasons I am acting irresponsibly with a chunk of this money.
you're right. You deserved the money, so now go play big with it. If I were you, I'll take 10k to Vegas and make 20k easily.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Valkyrie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If people left their age with their posts I think you could make a better decision.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
bubblehead-g

no im a sonar tech. The nukes on average get much better bonus's. They work insane hours underway and in port and have a ton of extra crap to deal with because of all the naval reactors procedure stuff. they have to follow a procedure to pretty much do anything back there in the engine room. I don't go back there unless I have too. Its hot and noisy and cramped and everywhere you look there is spinny pump things than can tear your arm off.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Valkyrie
Banned

no im a sonar tech. The nukes on average get much better bonus's. They work insane hours underway and in port and have a ton of extra crap to deal with because of all the naval reactors procedure stuff. they have to follow a procedure to pretty much do anything back there in the engine room. I don't go back there unless I have too. Its hot and noisy and cramped and everywhere you look there is spinny pump things than can tear your arm off.
It's not THAT bad.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
bubblehead-g

dude im a shower tech. from my point of view it seems like one of the levels of hell back there. i sit in my nice dark blue room and basically play a video game for 6 hours and have like zero maintenance to do in my off-watch time. those dudes are covered in dirt and hydraulic fluid 24-7 and always look like they havent slept in days. probably because they havent ;-)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Valkyrie
Banned

dude im a shower tech. from my point of view it seems like one of the levels of hell back there. i sit in my nice dark blue room and basically play a video game for 6 hours and have like zero maintenance to do in my off-watch time. those dudes are covered in dirt and hydraulic fluid 24-7 and always look like they havent slept in days. probably because they havent ;-)
Lots of money in nuke business... just saying.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 PM
bubblehead-g

Originally Posted by Valkyrie
Lots of money in nuke business... just saying.

Good luck to you.
thanks, appreciate it
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
temoku

don't be a loser, put that sh*t in TSP so uncle same can't take his huge portion of it. $50k, would turn into about $150k.... so basically you're gunna lost about $115k. Just sayin
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
bubblehead-g

Originally Posted by temoku
don't be a loser, put that sh*t in TSP so uncle same can't take his huge portion of it. $50k, would turn into about $150k.... so basically you're gunna lost about $115k. Just sayin
the maximum deposit limit for 2010 is 16.5 into tsp. and while I wouldnt pay taxes on it now, uncle sam would still take his chunk upon withdrawal. There are better options as far as money management goes. TSP tends to be inflexible and from my experience they are typical government drones when trying to get customer service from them. USAA is so much easier to deal with and their choice of funds is great. Just by looking right at the first two on my list, their International Fund has returned 32% since start of fiscal year 09, 14.4% five year. Don't believe the propaganda about TSP, their are better options with a bit of research.

edit- please give me car suggestions. im a dual income household with no kids and a relatively healthy investment portfolio. im no millionaire but if i stay on track retirement at fifty is realistic

Last edited by bubblehead-g; 01-25-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
ZRated67

Keep the G, and get the Osiris tune through UpRev. I was lucky enough to have driven there last week, for a ECU reflash, and DynoTune. It makes a hell of a lot of difference in the performance, and you'll feel like it's a new car again.

You will be a bit rev happy, however.......

Last edited by ZRated67; 01-25-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
SoldzMyZ

I'd put down the 50k on a FAT down payment on a Corvette Z06, BRAND NEW!!! and call it a day. COME ON. CORVETTE Z06 is 100x better than a Z. Yeah the interior is "ok" but good lord look at the 505 Hps. Trade that Z in and that's another 15, so you are basically going to pay off 20k? Give or take a few grand.

I mean, I personally don't like domestics. Corvettes are basically the only car from the US i'd buy. Just beautiful and mean as hell. I've seem beautiful yellow corvette with black rims, or all black corvette. Imagine coming home to that after 6 month in a suasage infested long hard metal sub. Again, get a corvette man. Seriously.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

Ask your corvette buddies for a test drive and you'll be convince of getting that over building your Z. Plus to be honest, coming from modding my old eclipse and adding a turbo, its a pain and its never the same when you have a modded turbo car. Its work to keep it going, at least more so than if it were unmodded.

I'd love to get a regular C6 and just mod it since it gets pretty decent mileage for a 400hp sports car. Better than the 04z actually.

edit: http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/p...ountyCode=6037

nevermind, get the great value that is the grand sport. Basically has the exterior of a z06 with upgraded brakes, same HP as the regular vettes same great gas mileage. I think that's the best deal out there.

Last edited by SoldzMyZ; 01-25-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I'll answer you...these idiots on here always want to plan your future out...

your alive now...

I say get a dd(10k) one that you can see yourself in day to day without being embarrassed...

Second if you have a Z car already..take your time. 20k should be you total limit for the car. That's more than whats needed to have fun, or be a threat to 50-70k cars. I wouldn't boost it, that's me...I would slowly built the car over...buy the best in each area of mods, suspension, wheels, exhaust...etc

since this is in the force induction I guess you really want crack in your life, so do it and research shops and there previous builds before going in head first...

best of luck and congrats on the reenlisting I've done it, and it's nothing more satisfying than knowing you did a block of time servicing
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM
FineWine

The reason why people are suggesting you invest the money instead, is because you've obviously shown hesitation. You're asking people to make a decision that you yourself aren't comfortable with.

You need to really decide what your budget and goals are. Then come back here, with those in hand, and ask for advice on how to accomplish your goals. There are plenty of people on here who can give you the advice and direction to make a great build, but you've got to make the financial decision yourself.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by ZRated67
Keep the G, and get the Osiris tune through UpRev. I was lucky enough to have driven there last week, for a ECU reflash, and DynoTune. It makes a hell of a lot of difference in the performance, and you'll feel like it's a new car again.
You will be a bit rev happy, however.......

he wants a built engine and TT and you tell him to get a ECU flash .

I was in a similar position to you, i had a fat chunk of change from a buisness I sold. I invested a portion payed bills and built the car I had always wanted.

I would say build your car but send it to a reputable shop, like the ones mentioned Forged, GTM, Sound Perf or Injected. Have them do the whole thing start to finish don't go nuts (3.5L and 600ish WHP) keep it simple and safe and you should be happy. OR at times I wish i would have sold my G35 bought a G37 and got a GTM TT kit and ran 550whp on the stock block.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
deanfootlong

my opinion: save your 50k. invest it. let it grow. use interest gained from your 50k to then mod said car.

point; dont blow all your money on a hobby. just spend the extra cash you can afford to lose on it.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Andrei

It seems that so many people have great running FI cars, but there are also some with never ending problems, despite spending quite a bit of money.
Those people have problems because turbocharging, building an engine and tuning all only have 1 correct way of working and there is ABSOLUTELY no margin of error or it wont work. Same goes for any other high hp car.

My advice is keep the money and save it or make a safe investment.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 AM
nurrishd

My philosophy has always been that you cant spend your ched when your dead....who knows what tomorrow will bring...live life whilst you can and enjoy it whilst it lasts.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 AM
ramirj2

Originally Posted by FineWine
The reason why people are suggesting you invest the money instead, is because you've obviously shown hesitation. You're asking people to make a decision that you yourself aren't comfortable with.

You need to really decide what your budget and goals are. Then come back here, with those in hand, and ask for advice on how to accomplish your goals. There are plenty of people on here who can give you the advice and direction to make a great build, but you've got to make the financial decision yourself.
^+1,000

Think, think, and then decide.

I have a 03 payoff. If I did not modified it could have $15K-$19K in my pocket by selling it ($0 down payment and that is the selling price used here). By selling it now would take a huge lost. There will always be a new car out there that is going to be better, faster and maybe cheaper.
I have other investments and no interest in trading a car that I know, I maintained, it is in great shape and already spent 2/3 of the $30k budget I put to my self, with 10% of the HP potential in.

I decided to keep moding and keep it as a toy, not a DD, but I planned it all of these years and started slowly, progressively and from supporting mods to finally FI.

It’s been rewarding and few things to regret in my decisions.

Think about how many thighs you liked and after a while look at it differently and are happy not to have done it.

The point is you have to decide on your own what to do, but before be sure……No way back.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont waste your money going down this road. No offense, but if your not streaming money in, it will be spent building/fixing problems faster than you can get the next batch of money.

Quick Reply: 50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?