Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 PM
F34RL355
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do what you want its your money.... i dont give a ****
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts300
Porsche 993TT <end thread>, which is an investment in itself, or invest it all for when you are done with your five years, then spend what your budget allows. That lump sum may come in quite handy for a home downpayment.

Those are pretty sweet.

If you have a lot of options, I'd stow the money and think about it a while.

It took me 6 months to decide if I even wanted to get twins, and even after committed the money, I waited. Whatever option you start to dream about, is the one you won't regret.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by bubblehead-g
Huh never thought about that. I have never had an american car. I will look into this. There are a couple guys I know with c5 and c6 vettes, I will talk to them. Thanks
CTSV. Brand new off the lot 65K full optioned. Fastest four door ever made. better than most high performance coupes

Originally Posted by ADMAN
Used Lambo.
or this. win.

why not invest the money in very short term investments? as in with companies and businesses with established track records. for example, if you invested 10K with us, we'd return 5K within 6 months. 50% ftw! there are companies out there that can promise returns, whether its in the car industry or elsewhere. Find them and make a fortune. i know everyone is going to read this and bash it, but thats because they dont know.
Or start your own business. Its a highly rewarding experience that I did a few years ago, and sold at a good profit. Being your own boss is awesome, doing something you love.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
mD2MHK

put a down payment on a house
Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
tiguy99

Lots of good choices FTW. Keep in mind buying an already built car can save you LOTS of money too. I posted a link to local one for sale right now here in Chicago. The owner's probably put in well over 50K to get it where it is now and is asking alot less than that. You may want to also take a look at this option as well if you're thinking of a built, spare no expense 350Z
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So I am fortunate enough to be getting handed a wad of money in a month or so for re-enlisting in the military and I am seriously questioning what to do car wise. I have been looking at FI for a year or so, and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is I guess I am scared. I would love to just drop a ton of money on a great kit and built block and have it done by someone like Forged or GTM but im worried I will end up with a car Im scared to drive more than a couple hundred miles from home. It seems that so many people have great running FI cars, but there are also some with never ending problems, despite spending quite a bit of money. The responsible side of me is saying trade in the G and get an S4 or 335i, leave it stock and call it a day. But the car guy inside me is saying order a JWT kit and get a built engine and brakes and clutch and some nice seats and a ton of other awesome stuff I always wanted but could never afford.

Any advice or knowledge from experience you could give me would be appreciated. I want so badly to turbo charge my G, just so scared im gonna end up with an unreliable garage queen and an irate wife. Thanks

how about G 6.3L supercharged sound G63

you could get a new ZR1 LS9 long block or full motor for 20K figure another 15K for transmission and radiator ecu engine mounts ...etc

but you would have one hell of a car that would dominate most cars and still daily driven with no worries or regrets. with stock LS9 if i remember correctly these engines puts down 550 whp (630hp)
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 AM
nyqueenz

So I am fortunate enough to be getting handed a wad of money in a month or so for re-enlisting in the military and I am seriously questioning what to do car wise. I have been looking at FI for a year or so, and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is I guess I am scared. I would love to just drop a ton of money on a great kit and built block and have it done by someone like Forged or GTM but im worried I will end up with a car Im scared to drive more than a couple hundred miles from home. It seems that so many people have great running FI cars, but there are also some with never ending problems, despite spending quite a bit of money. The responsible side of me is saying trade in the G and get an S4 or 335i, leave it stock and call it a day. But the car guy inside me is saying order a JWT kit and get a built engine and brakes and clutch and some nice seats and a ton of other awesome stuff I always wanted but could never afford.

Any advice or knowledge from experience you could give me would be appreciated. I want so badly to turbo charge my G, just so scared im gonna end up with an unreliable garage queen and an irate wife. Thanks
50k is alot but if i were u.. I wouldn't dump it all into your car bro.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
thawk408

I would get a used e60 m5, which can be had for 40k, and ball the *** out. Then I would sell the G, and invest the G money and the extra 10k.

Last edited by thawk408; 01-27-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

buy a piece of property and put up a parking lot
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
ramirj2

OP.
Like others here had said. Just keep a stock block and buy a kit of your choice with low boost, good tune and supporting mods. Enjoy the car and save the rest for a rainy day.

My best mod so far is having a 4runner 4 cylinders to daily drive. Imaging how the Z feels after stepping out of that slow POS. I will FI mine for 400whp or so but no need to have a 700whp street car.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Ataru074

buy a C5 Z06... plenty of fun as it is and I'm not sure you'll use it so much time in the next 5 years considering your job...
invest NOW taking more risks in the stock market... building a car you know that for sure you'll lose money.. with this stock market you might quadruple your initial investment over the next 5 years.

getting those money in bonus in a reasonable amount of time, and investing them properly can set you up for a good part of your life.

( I'm 35 and I wasted a $hitload of cash in cars... just because when I was 20 I was thinking that at 35 life would have been boring)...

BIG MISTAKE.
I'm not doing bad... but I could have been almost retired right now and spend my time chasing pu$$y all day long from a nice porsche.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
bubblehead-g

Originally Posted by Ataru074
buy a C5 Z06... plenty of fun as it is and I'm not sure you'll use it so much time in the next 5 years considering your job...
invest NOW taking more risks in the stock market... building a car you know that for sure you'll lose money.. with this stock market you might quadruple your initial investment over the next 5 years.

getting those money in bonus in a reasonable amount of time, and investing them properly can set you up for a good part of your life.

( I'm 35 and I wasted a $hitload of cash in cars... just because when I was 20 I was thinking that at 35 life would have been boring)...

BIG MISTAKE.
I'm not doing bad... but I could have been almost retired right now and spend my time chasing pu$$y all day long from a nice porsche.
well after work today i talked to a guy on another boat with a 2002? i think c5 z06, might be 03, dont remember and he let me drive it off the base and around the highway a bit. Jesus christ what a blast. the interior was crap, but it felt very solid, steering was good, and the engine was great in every way. loads of low end torque, great sound, and decent top end. made me stop and think i guess. only problem i could see is snow. made me realize how useless my G would be with FI and snow.

its alot to think about. i have looked at some of the vette forums and tuners and it seems the cars make insane power with relatively little headache. i saw more than a dozen daily driven 600hp+ profiles, and few were the dudes only transportation.

definitely have to wait a bit on making a decision. Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. Whatever I do it will result in a sick ride, im committed to that much. just have to figure out whats best in the big picture for me. thanks again.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
ZRated67

5 pages of thread, and you made no decision?!?!?!?!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM
350Z400rwhp

well after work today i talked to a guy on another boat with a 2002? i think c5 z06, might be 03, dont remember and he let me drive it off the base and around the highway a bit. Jesus christ what a blast. the interior was crap, but it felt very solid, steering was good, and the engine was great in every way. loads of low end torque, great sound, and decent top end. made me stop and think i guess. only problem i could see is snow. made me realize how useless my G would be with FI and snow.

its alot to think about. i have looked at some of the vette forums and tuners and it seems the cars make insane power with relatively little headache. i saw more than a dozen daily driven 600hp+ profiles, and few were the dudes only transportation.

definitely have to wait a bit on making a decision. Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. Whatever I do it will result in a sick ride, im committed to that much. just have to figure out whats best in the big picture for me. thanks again.
I told ya the C-5 ZO6 was the way to go right in the beginning of this thread Glad you got a chance to drive one. I recently spent some time on the Vette forums too and the initial cost of the car is higher than a comparable year Z but 600whp is no big deal there just like 400whp is no big deal here. The cost of the kits for Corvettes are the same as the kits for the Z's and G's again the entry fee is just about $10,000 more for the car. If you have 50K go this route. I'm happy with my Z. I spent $20K on the car $10K on the mods and I have a 400whp beast but that's about all you can do safely with these cars. When you venture into going with a built motor you go into that 50/50 chance that things are going to end well and by then you would of spent what you could of spent on the Corvette with boost and have 600whp safely. I love the Z and plan to drive mine for quite a few years but it is what it is.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:19 PM
FineWine

What problems are you going to have with a built and boosted Z that you wouldn't have with a C6? Except the obvious torque.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM
streetzlegend

OP, you dont have to spend no 15, 20, 30k on a Z build. if you have a bit of time (a couple of weeks), just build the engine yourself. I spent a max of about 3-4K(including machine work, and all parts) on my short block build, plus watever a TT kit would cost you, and some tranny work (good clutch). It dosnt take so much money to make a quick car, just gotta know how to go about it and do the work yourself.

Thats just me, I am that backyard (budget) mechanic type, others just like to spend the money and not worry about anything (yet they still run into issues sometimes), but at the end its same result, a quick fun car.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 AM
1GR8350Z

I would either go with a C5 Z06 or carefully search for an already built Z and invest the most of the rest. Of course putting some back for the chance of something breaking. I got my Z already built and don't regret it at all. It was a shop car that wasn't driven much. I am also around 400hp and wil stay put with all the built block nightmares I have read on here.The Vette option will be cheaper the get big numbers with though. It is my opinion that the Z is a more well rounded car. You sound like you're not rushing into anything and thats good. If I had a lump sum like that there is no way it would all go into my car. A decent portion would though. Good Luck

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 01-28-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by FineWine
What problems are you going to have with a built and boosted Z that you wouldn't have with a C6? Except the obvious torque.
besides that the Z06 is "born" in that way, it's lighter, has a lower center of gravity, has a fantastic "wild" handling and few reliability weakness, it's way cheaper to fix if $hit happens and if you ever go around a track with turns it's so much fun to drive?

the only weakness that I see is that I like it less than a Z and it's "just another Z06" and not "your completely custom Z".
(I'm on the second Z in 3 years and I already spent enough on both of them.. before calling me a chevy fanboy).
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 AM
Synjn

Buy Bank of America stocks!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Synjn
Buy Bank of America stocks!
Or AAPL lol

Quick Reply: 50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?