Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

my SC Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 AM
GT-ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that dyno is the stock one, but it shows a LOT of knock ( look at all the spikes ) which explains why power is so low.

Your car is a US vehicle, but that dyno was not done in the US ( it says Isa Town ). What fuel is available in Isa Town?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maXmood
I'm not sure why are you guys mixing up the stock dyno graph with my current issues? Car is running perfectly fine when it was stock. We even dyno'ed a 3.5L Altima that produced the same power.

Again, I don't think ignition timing was altered when it was stock.

And on top of that, I've done a compression test before even buying the SC kit and the results were all good.
i'm not going on that dyno at all.

I'm basing my thoughts on what is happening. You said extreme temps and no power. Detonation causes a severe loss in power and extreme temps. That would also no matter what level of boost produce lower power than the stock engine. If it was just a boost issue then it would produce at least stock power.

Now, you said you had a compressino check done BEFORE the supercharger. I'm talking about do a comp test and leak down NOW since i think the damage occured when your tuner first ran that beast on boost.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I know that dyno is the stock one, but it shows a LOT of knock ( look at all the spikes ) which explains why power is so low.

Your car is a US vehicle, but that dyno was not done in the US ( it says Isa Town ). What fuel is available in Isa Town?
keep in mind that smoothing is set to zero in that dyno plot. most of the ones posted on here have smoothing set to five.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Sounds like you have a huge boost leak somewhere.
Also check your plugs for detonation. Did your tuner said something about dyno?

Post up dyno sheet or log, that way you can get much better advice than guessing advice.

Btw, you didn't search enough about AC line. I posted that on my other thread about AC line needs to wrap before install blower.!!!

Good luck and no worry take your time. And let's hope that its not something big issue.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:02 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by - bigc -
keep in mind that smoothing is set to zero in that dyno plot. most of the ones posted on here have smoothing set to five.
I know, but that dyno is clearly showing knock.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 PM
binder

i couldn't make an educated remark if that's knock or not, but i can say that my dynograph is set to smoothing of 0 and it has no spikes at all...let alone over the entire graph.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ sadly, not everyone shows your restraint before posting. i agree though, the stock dyno graph does not look good.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did mention that.. it's 91.

check some info about "Bahrain", you'll see how small it is. the fuel all around the country is the same, and we don't have stations that pumps any better fuel.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by binder
i'm not going on that dyno at all.

I'm basing my thoughts on what is happening. You said extreme temps and no power. Detonation causes a severe loss in power and extreme temps. That would also no matter what level of boost produce lower power than the stock engine. If it was just a boost issue then it would produce at least stock power.

Now, you said you had a compressino check done BEFORE the supercharger. I'm talking about do a comp test and leak down NOW since i think the damage occured when your tuner first ran that beast on boost.
1- extreme temps is what i thought wasn't normal, even tho everything on the log shows my temps are good to go. so basically everything is normal. it's just that i never happened to see under the hood of a modified car. so most probably i'm assuming that it's really HOT because i never felt/seen other FI'ed cars ... and btw, the weather here is a killer.. humidity + hot = almost all year.

we only got 2 seasons, summer and spring.. and summer is usually 9 months.

temps nowadays are about 100F, and once we're in Jul/Aug, we'll see 120F if not even more..

2- i'm actually getting more than stock power (15whp on top of stock).. that's why i'm assuming it's more likely to be boost leak + slipage.

3- if i'll have to do this, then it's gonna be done next week.. i'm not sure tho, because i'm driving the car 2-3 times a week, under boost, and everything seems like stock.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

that's true as well.. the dyno guy said he can set smoothing to 5, but it's not gonna change anything.. so i left it like this.

the dyno guy is actually a tuner, he didn't say anything about knocking.. along with my tuner too.. they both didn't mention anything about knocking.

is it possible to monitor knock with Osiris?

Last edited by maXmood; 05-29-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Sounds like you have a huge boost leak somewhere.
Also check your plugs for detonation. Did your tuner said something about dyno?

Post up dyno sheet or log, that way you can get much better advice than guessing advice.

Btw, you didn't search enough about AC line. I posted that on my other thread about AC line needs to wrap before install blower.!!!

Good luck and no worry take your time. And let's hope that its not something big issue.
1- now, that's what i think my problem is.. boost leak somewhere.

2- i'll have the plugs checked.. and no, he didn't comment on the dyno chart.

3- i didn't search "before" installing the SC kit, because it never came to my mind that it actually needs attention.. but i did search "after" being in the situation, and never got your thread!

i still need to fix the AC, it's killing me running in this sh!tty weather.

3- thanks! *fingers crossed*
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

i couldn't make an educated remark if that's knock or not, but i can say that my dynograph is set to smoothing of 0 and it has no spikes at all...let alone over the entire graph.
i think the main factor would be our crappy fuel... ppl say it's not even 91!! it's 89....

to compensate on this matter, i'm gonna buy MS103 and mix it with my current fuel.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

For anyone interested.. i've attached my run on Vince's tune. (zipped Doc file).
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Run(1st ROM)Vince.zip (32.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 AM
binder

ok, if it's running better than stock i retract my statements.

if you're worried about octane, i would do a light meth kit or just do a water injection to help surpress detonation. MS 103 is around 70$ a can so 4 cans and you have your injection kit paid for. And if you just use distilled water injection you shouldn't have to change your tune so you won't have any issues if you run out of it when you're out driving.

There is a better way to route your oil drain so it gives more room for your a/c line. Under the supercharger there is a black plate held in place with 3 bolts. remove it. Run the drain straight backwards towards the fender and THEN down towards the oil pan. That way you aren't running it near the a/c pulley alongwith the a/c line. Then i used really long and flat zip ties around the frame rail and that a/c line to pull it away from the a/c pulley.

another note: don't put race fuel in that tank to tune the car. Once you run out of that fuel the car will be tuned for higher octane and you could damage your motor big time.

spark plugs are a great way to check knock. Look with a magnifying glass on the insulator for small grey or black specs. Those specs mean detonation.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by maXmood
i did mention that.. it's 91.

check some info about "Bahrain", you'll see how small it is. the fuel all around the country is the same, and we don't have stations that pumps any better fuel.
Sorry, I actually tried to find it with no luck.

Do you know if that rating is RON, MON or R+M/2 ( which is what we use here in the US )?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

ok, if it's running better than stock i retract my statements.

if you're worried about octane, i would do a light meth kit or just do a water injection to help surpress detonation. MS 103 is around 70$ a can so 4 cans and you have your injection kit paid for. And if you just use distilled water injection you shouldn't have to change your tune so you won't have any issues if you run out of it when you're out driving.

There is a better way to route your oil drain so it gives more room for your a/c line. Under the supercharger there is a black plate held in place with 3 bolts. remove it. Run the drain straight backwards towards the fender and THEN down towards the oil pan. That way you aren't running it near the a/c pulley alongwith the a/c line. Then i used really long and flat zip ties around the frame rail and that a/c line to pull it away from the a/c pulley.

another note: don't put race fuel in that tank to tune the car. Once you run out of that fuel the car will be tuned for higher octane and you could damage your motor big time.

spark plugs are a great way to check knock. Look with a magnifying glass on the insulator for small grey or black specs. Those specs mean detonation.
i'm thinking of doing meth injection, but not yet.. i'll do that once the car is up and running fine.

what i'm thinking is, i'll just mix some 103 with my current fuel to have a better outcome from the system. i'm not gonna do full tank of 103, cuz just like you said, i don't want to be in a situation where i don't have anything near me.

about the AC line (high pressure hose), i got an AC repair shop to make a new hose that is longer and re-route it around the pipes. all good and i'm happy with that..

i received the belt yesterday, and i'm just waiting for the MAF to arrive so i can have both installed at the same time.

my question is, do i just replace the MAF and that's it? i mean, can i just carry on with the current tune till i get it fully tuned?

and what about the belt, once i replace it, i should see difference in boost and power? is it safe to carry on driving it with the current tune?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Sorry, I actually tried to find it with no luck.

Do you know if that rating is RON, MON or R+M/2 ( which is what we use here in the US )?
there you go.. info about Bahrain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain

and our fuel is PON.. R+M/2 = PON
Old 05-31-2010, 12:56 PM
binder

no, you can't drive on the new maf without adjustments. It's totally different.

as for the new belt and more boost, just stay out of boost and you'll be fine.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:07 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

no, you can't drive on the new maf without adjustments. It's totally different.

as for the new belt and more boost, just stay out of boost and you'll be fine.
hmmm...

i gotta talk to Vince again about this. because i've seen the option on Osiris to change the MAF type, but not sure if it requires on site tuning or he can do it from abroad.

about the belt, i already don't drive on boost. i just drive on vaccum, because i'm afraid to go on boost on a not fully tuned map. it's tiring, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Edit: Bigger housing or Modif sensor needs new tune. Even N/A.

Id would remove the cog belt if you are worry about getting on boost.

Last edited by Chef-J; 05-31-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: my SC Setup