Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GTM Performance Engineering VQ45VHR-Our Journey to The 1000 HP and Beyond

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
If you actually ever drive the car hard at the daily driver power levels, please be sure to report back when it blows up.
+1

...I doubt we gonna see this thing pushed...

might see it in shows with a dyno sheet slapped to it..
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wanted his responses to the technical questions and why he chose certain things on the car..
Old 01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow interesting thread. How did i miss this?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm does my opinion count ?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by r0mey
don't leave us hanging
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by r0mey
where you been man?!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Why does the Z community have such issues with shops... I think there are maybe a handful of places in the US that haven't seen significant issues. This was a sad thread to read because of that.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Okay I get alot of what is being said here but my question is this and its rather simple...If you have no personal dealings with GTM i.e. you never bought a motor from them why are you cluttering up this thread. I get that everyone "thinks" that they are doing the right thing for the community but we are just going thru the same silly bs... I am thinking about making a section in the FI forums where you can post your proven facts about your build or issues you've had. This forum will not be rumors assumptions or speculation... Because as with FI its been a'lot of rumors assumptions and speculation.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rome didnt GTM do that rebuild for you?

I know your a mod but if they did then you can be labeled as biased just as I could for having a negative experience.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Rome didnt GTM do that rebuild for you?

I know your a mod but if they did then you can be labeled as biased just as I could for having a negative experience.
No one has done my rebuild yet to answer your question. Futhermore there was no bias in my post just how I feel about the situation. You have had issues therefore you would be in the section I have spoke about. That was my point to my whole statement.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM
go-fast
Banned

when i think of places to participate in performance discussions there is not a place i can think of that gives this level of integrity to the sport.No where else can you find such information about companies and products available.

The other members here should be just as proud as i am to share in my350z and it's sponsors.Don't take my word for it,just look at the threads that spill out of this well oiled machine and you can see the judgment that went into every post.

with over 13,000 views on this thread alone shows the dedication and ability for members to absorb the most complicated of topics.

I look foward to following this build to completion and can't wait for the final results.I'm sure gtm and the customer will get everything they deserve.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm the one that cleaned up the thread. I saw no need for all the off topic banter, personal attacks, etc that was being posted. Let's try to keep the thread on topic, please.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can undersdtand cleaning up the thread of personal attacks, but most of what you erased had validity, nobody can deny that.

The GTM magic wand has been swung again
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

I can undersdtand cleaning up the thread of personal attacks, but most of what you erased had validity, nobody can deny that.

The GTM magic wand has been swung again
my350z history has repeated itself AGAIN...

So since it was considered OT, will a separate thread be allowed to discuss the larger issues at hand???
Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an update on our intake manifold. We've been working with a Rapid Prototyping company, and it's taking a little longer than we anticipated. Nevertheless, here are some images generated from the scanning software. One of the biggest advantages of this process is the ability to verify air flow through the intake and make any necessary changes to the design in CAD to eliminate any restrictions. The design has been finalized and is being "grown" as we speak. According to the company we are working with, we should have the prototype in hand next week. At that time, we will be test fitting the lower manifold in conjunction with the GT-R upper intake plenum and performing some initial dyno testing to verify the design.

Some of you familiar with rapid prototyping have suggested growing the part in titanium. Unfortunately, this part is physically too large to print using an iterative metal laser sintering process. Not to mention that even if their "printer" was large enough, it would take over a month just to print! Given that people want to see this car finished, we found the timeframe unacceptable. Therefore, we will be using a new type of high temperature plastic developed to be tested in harsh operating conditions (such as a forced induction manifold). Although we were skeptical of using plastic on this part of the engine, the material specifications convinced us that it is well within operating parameters.

We have several cars that we will be testing this manifold setup on: a stock 370z (to see what effect this manifold has on an NA application), a GTM supercharged 370z, and of course the White Dragon. Given that we can make adjustments to things like runner diameter and length in CAD, we can fine tune the performance to suit the particular application.

Also, it has been our experience that the factory HR/VHR upper intake plenum starts having issues with over 15psi of boost and 700whp (afterall it was designed for an NA application). Using our lower intake plenum in conjunction with the GT-R upper intake plenum will allow for more boost and more power.

Enough technobabble, here are some pics:

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  1wm.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  147.8 KB
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Here's an update on our intake manifold. We've been working with a Rapid Prototyping company, and it's taking a little longer than we anticipated. Nevertheless, here are some images generated from the scanning software. One of the biggest advantages of this process is the ability to verify air flow through the intake and make any necessary changes to the design in CAD to eliminate any restrictions. The design has been finalized and is being "grown" as we speak. According to the company we are working with, we should have the prototype in hand next week. At that time, we will be test fitting the lower manifold in conjunction with the GT-R upper intake plenum and performing some initial dyno testing to verify the design.

Some of you familiar with rapid prototyping have suggested growing the part in titanium. Unfortunately, this part is physically too large to print using an iterative metal laser sintering process. Not to mention that even if their "printer" was large enough, it would take over a month just to print! Given that people want to see this car finished, we found the timeframe unacceptable. Therefore, we will be using a new type of high temperature plastic developed to be tested in harsh operating conditions (such as a forced induction manifold). Although we were skeptical of using plastic on this part of the engine, the material specifications convinced us that it is well within operating parameters.

We have several cars that we will be testing this manifold setup on: a stock 370z (to see what effect this manifold has on an NA application), a GTM supercharged 370z, and of course the White Dragon. Given that we can make adjustments to things like runner diameter and length in CAD, we can fine tune the performance to suit the particular application.

Also, it has been our experience that the factory HR/VHR upper intake plenum starts having issues with over 15psi of boost and 700whp (afterall it was designed for an NA application). Using our lower intake plenum in conjunction with the GT-R upper intake plenum will allow for more boost and more power.

Enough technobabble, here are some pics:
Just a few questions....

1.Just so i completely understand,you're going aluminum block,plastic lower,aluminum upper?

2.Isn't plastic that close to the core going to be problematic?

3.Is plastic the right choice for a wet manifold (methanol injection)?

O.E attempts at plastic lowers have been fraught with warping,cracking and air leaks just being naturally aspirated(and especially so with a v configuration).You probably won't listen to advise from me,but is seems as if your driving down a dead end street.

Looking foward to results
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you misunderstood what we are doing here. The plastic is merely a prototype that will allow us to make any fine tuning adjustments and ensure that we have perfect fitment. This is only a short term piece so we can finish the R&D.

The final finished product will be cast aluminum.

Originally Posted by go-fast
Just a few questions....

1.Just so i completely understand,you're going aluminum block,plastic lower,aluminum upper?

2.Isn't plastic that close to the core going to be problematic?

3.Is plastic the right choice for a wet manifold (methanol injection)?

O.E attempts at plastic lowers have been fraught with warping,cracking and air leaks just being naturally aspirated(and especially so with a v configuration).You probably won't listen to advise from me,but is seems as if your driving down a dead end street.

Looking foward to results
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
I think you misunderstood what we are doing here. The plastic is merely a prototype that will allow us to make any fine tuning adjustments and ensure that we have perfect fitment. This is only a short term piece so we can finish the R&D.

The final finished product will be cast aluminum.
This quote from post #151 led me to believe plastic was your solution

"Therefore, we will be using a new type of high temperature plastic developed to be tested in harsh operating conditions (such as a forced induction manifold). Although we were skeptical of using plastic on this part of the engine, the material specifications convinced us that it is well within operating parameters."

Glad to hear it's only temporary.Will we have to wait for the aluminum intake before we see dyno #s or are you going to blast through the ceiling with the prototype?

Looking so foward to results
Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Sam,

When this intake design is finished and cast do you expect this car to break the 1000 HP mark?

Quick Reply: GTM Performance Engineering VQ45VHR-Our Journey to The 1000 HP and Beyond