Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Couple questions about built motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM
rh_334

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
There's people who make 450+ on the stock block, but I'm talking about if you're looking for a conservatively tuned daily driven street car.
Im one of those people, my tune is conservative, and i beat the sh*t out of my car everyday (101kmiles boosted 7k) But it isn't the safest option. Even with a conservative tune a member recently bent a rod @ 360rwhp and just 4psi. What makes vortechs more realiable on stock block is the lower TQ number, that is what does the damage anyway.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 AM
856_reilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far Kyle has been cool as hell with me. He takes all the time in the world to sit and talk or explain whats going on. As for parts he better have used what he says he uses..... and unless your doing it yourself then you run the chance of shops not using the parts they say. Even if you buy all the parts and drop them to the shop your having build your motor. Who is to say there not taking them installing cheaper ones and selling your s**t you droped off. Unless your standing over him while he's installing them. I'm not saying this is what is going on it's just reality. It can happen.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
856_reilly

I was boosted with 40k on my stock bottom end. I was at 432rwhp, vortech at 10psi. and beat the s**t out of mine to and this is what happened..... Total of 7 holes in the block..... 36.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
erichsherrill

Originally Posted by rh_334
Im one of those people, my tune is conservative, and i beat the sh*t out of my car everyday (101kmiles boosted 7k) But it isn't the safest option. Even with a conservative tune a member recently bent a rod @ 360rwhp and just 4psi. What makes vortechs more realiable on stock block is the lower TQ number, that is what does the damage anyway.
jus curious what MAF sensor are you using
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by - bigc -
^ what are your other mods? headers?
Check out my garage on here, I have everything listed.

Originally Posted by erichsherrill
your saying 430ish is reliable on the stock block for a daily driver?
I'd say it definitely is, but nothing is safe if you plan on beating on it every day. I'll hit full boost in my car maybe once a month. When I'm going to work or driving around town, I just cruise. I'm sure there are people on here who daily drive their car with much more power than that.

Originally Posted by Alberto
When are people gonna realize what works for them doesnt mean it will work for others. I ran a TN setup at 380-390whp, and blew it up after 3000 miles. S/C's dont make 390ft/lbs when they are near the 400whp mark, so obviosuly there is less stress there.

To say XXXwhp is safe should be taken with a grain of salt. Maintenance, the tune, the supporting mods, and most importantly, how you drive your car are all factors in both stock block and built longevity.

Guys like me can do things right "to a T" and still break $hit.
You're absolutely right, I should have said what I did differently. My SC is only making 333tq, so that obviously will put less stress on everything. I'd say 'how you drive your car' would be the most important factor. These engines are tough though; with good maintenance, mature driving, and a conservative tune, they hold up pretty well.

Yea I love the feeling of a high torque car, I had a modded 300ZX TT back in the day, but it does have its drawbacks. You'll always have exceptions also, heck people even destroy NA motors. I'm just saying, the majority of people with well-tuned FI cars in the low 400 range should have a pretty dependable setup. Not that these lower numbers don't require the proper supporting mods and such, but I think we can all agree on that it starts to get a little more intensive when trying to achieve big power. With that said, I think FI is the way to go with these cars. My last one was NA and it was fun but a completely different experience.

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
I was boosted with 40k on my stock bottom end. I was at 432rwhp, vortech at 10psi. and beat the s**t out of mine to and this is what happened..... Total of 7 holes in the block.....
That's some carnage!

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 02-22-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by erichsherrill
jus curious what maf sensor are you using
hpx pmas
Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out my garage on here, I have everything listed...
ah, it makes more sense now - you have cams and headers
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i could be incorrect, but also seems like he would advertise that if he used a well known name brand.
When we disassembled my motor, we confirmed that they were in fact ACL bearings. If you don't believe me, call Kyle yourself.

I just checked the IPP website, and he now carries Cosworth bearings. So perhaps he is using those on the new builds. Anyway, Cosworth also are supposed to be good bearings.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-22-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hal's 350z used/uses eagle rods, and ive read of them breaking at about 900whp. The general consensus is they fail at about 150whp per cylinder... which is 900whp. So margin of saftey if you are aiming for less than 900hp, eagle rods should in theory take the beating. Also Weisco pistons are used in Sound Performance 1000+rwhp sleeved kit, so they should be good for plenty of power.
I think the biggest concern for 'reliability' (in your case) is the quality of build (things done correctly, I mean actual clearances and torque specs etc) and the quality of your setup (does your kit hold boost well, do you have sufficient fuel and how steady is your ecu/tune).
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
856_reilly

Alot of good info here...Keep it going guys. Glad to hear that Kyle was using what he says. That was the one thing I was worried about. I talked to him today and went over everything again and my motor is done. I don't know he's a good dude in my book so far. We shall see tho when I finally crank it over..
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 AM
thom000001

Agreed...who builds it is more important that what is used. Since you probably won't max most parts.

Weisco's held up to 800+rwhp in my car with no issue.
More important to just power is that weisco's have seen 1200+rwhp AND almlost 9000rpm.

tom

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Hal's 350z used/uses eagle rods, and ive read of them breaking at about 900whp. The general consensus is they fail at about 150whp per cylinder... which is 900whp. So margin of saftey if you are aiming for less than 900hp, eagle rods should in theory take the beating. Also Weisco pistons are used in Sound Performance 1000+rwhp sleeved kit, so they should be good for plenty of power.
I think the biggest concern for 'reliability' (in your case) is the quality of build (things done correctly, I mean actual clearances and torque specs etc) and the quality of your setup (does your kit hold boost well, do you have sufficient fuel and how steady is your ecu/tune).
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, I found out my tune wasn’t as conservative as I initially thought… AFR was more aggressive than I would’ve liked, not sure if that would’ve lead to a bent rod or not though, but I’m still convinced that these motor are still pretty stout if you have a nice conservative tune.

Oh well, I got a new motor on Sunday, has low compression in one cylinder but it should be a good core candidate for my motor build. Wish me luck!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Oh well, I got a new motor on Sunday, has low compression in one cylinder but it should be a good core candidate for my motor build. Wish me luck!
Good to hear

Glad your sticking with the platform
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd say it definitely is, but nothing is safe if you plan on beating on it every day. I'll hit full boost in my car maybe once a month. When I'm going to work or driving around town, I just cruise. I'm sure there are people on here who daily drive their car with much more power than that.
WTF!!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM
usingthejohn

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Yeah, I found out my tune wasn’t as conservative as I initially thought… AFR was more aggressive than I would’ve liked, not sure if that would’ve lead to a bent rod or not though, but I’m still convinced that these motor are still pretty stout if you have a nice conservative tune.

G/L with the build! is Intense doing the work? I'm taking my sedan there sometime mid to end of March for them to do the install!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Good to hear

Glad your sticking with the platform
lol, I’m planning on representing this platform for a long time! Just praying this build goes smoothly… I’m shooting for 500whp max, the car’s a daily so nothing too crazy.

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
G/L with the build! is Intense doing the work? I'm taking my sedan there sometime mid to end of March for them to do the install!
Thanks! Yeah, I’m just waiting for Intense to get back to me with a quote on the build; I definitely trust them with the build as they’ve got a ton of VQ experience under their belt.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by thom000001
Agreed...who builds it is more important that what is used. Since you probably won't max most parts.

Weisco's held up to 800+rwhp in my car with no issue.
More important to just power is that weisco's have seen 1200+rwhp AND almlost 9000rpm.

tom
For my new 4.0L motor, Arias pistons with the appropriate bore size were already in stock, but I opted to go with Wiseco's and waited to have them made. Research I did a few years ago indicated that Wiseco was very good at machining the parts and holding tight tolerences, which to me is an indication of quality.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Pure carnage post#23 Ouch man!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

i could be incorrect, but also seems like he would advertise that if he used a well known name brand.
Someone pointed me to this thread so I will interject

The reason I don't have the brand of bearings listed is because I was using ACL before most people even knew what they were. Now obviously most people use them because they have been proved to be the best.

On that note I will also say that it is rumored that the Cosworth bearings are just re-badged ACL's

The same reason for not listing the bearings is also the same for using the HR gaskets and modifying the block. I have been doing that for years but never published it because it wasn't as well known back then as it is now.

So I guess since it is common knowledge now days I will change my listings

Also another note: I have used the Wiseco/Eagle rod combo in 300zx's on boost and Nitrous making 900 Rwhp and never had any problems. People that think Wiseco Pistons and Eagle rods are weak are mis informed IMHO.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Kyle(Houston)
Someone pointed me to this thread so I will interject

The reason I don't have the brand of bearings listed is because I was using ACL before most people even knew what they were. Now obviously most people use them because they have been proved to be the best.
Good to hear

But honestly thats what pushed me away from your longblocks, someone pointed out the fact that you didn't list a brand. But now im no longer in the market for one anyway

Quick Reply: Couple questions about built motor