Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Haltech Update, with CAN Input/Output Expansion Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Unless there is a bug fix or additional functionality then there is no point really to the upgrade however to make this decision then full disclosure on the bug fixes would help.

Not just a one liner in the change history. It is a shame after a such a long wait that the improvements in 1.10 are only around the CAN devices. Would of been nice to see some additional functionality for owners that do not want to go down the i/o box path.

Last edited by MR RIZK; 10-03-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree, this thing has been out for how long and all the updates are far apart and don't even effect function so what's the point in updating. Plus i feel like i'm in the dark with details on any changes they make.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:15 PM
mx594

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
^^^ Main Setup - Advanced - Advanced Tab

However when opening a old map (106) on the PC the PID settings are not there. To see them

make a copy of the new 350z base map
import your old map over new base map

You will now see the PID settings.

I assume when upgrading the firmware on the ECU it will also upgrade the map. I haven't had a chance to test though but from memory on the previous versions this is what it did.

PS: Double check the imported values
Somehow I knew you would know the answer to those questions
Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
MR RIZK

^^ Autotune would have been way cooler
Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you aren't experiencing a problem with either of the two noted fixes, then don't worry about it. As for not worth putting out updates... you all are too funny. It added support for an expansion box that allows you to do many more things.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
If you aren't experiencing a problem with either of the two noted fixes, then don't worry about it. As for not worth putting out updates... you all are too funny. It added support for an expansion box that allows you to do many more things.
ya, the added i/o box is nice but it costs to add on. We are just talking about simple updates to the haltech itself. It seems like the other platforms are getting some pretty cool firmware upgrades and our platform isn't getting anything like that.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
ya, the added i/o box is nice but it costs to add on. We are just talking about simple updates to the haltech itself. It seems like the other platforms are getting some pretty cool firmware upgrades and our platform isn't getting anything like that.
Out of raw curiosity (serious question), what more would you want?
I look at the haltech and it has everything I could ask for and then some, but then again I haven't owned a boosted car before.
Short of Motec it's kind of already the best out there, no? (correct me if I'm wrong on any of these)
Boost control, turbo timer, knock detection, I/O control voltages, water meth support, super slick GUI, full ignition fuel and timing, CAN bus support, dual wideband support, datalogging, pnp harness, great customer support...
I'd ask for more Display (racepak is a bit cheesy looking for a street car imo) options, and a on the fly external tune switch... but you could do that with the external **** thinger set to boost control.

ps spoke with a local former haltech dealer, he agrees with me for the money there isn't anything better than a haltech (at least for the z)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm just curious to know what you think is so critical that the Haltech is missing. The only thing I miss a little bit are more compensation maps, but I don't think it's critical. The Haltech may not be perfect, but it is solid. Nothing today beats the Haltech GUI for end user tuning and no other platform has the level of support provided by Dynosty/Hal. I'm not knocking you UpRev/Osiris guys. I own that also and it is very useful and has its place, but it's not in the same class.

We're lucky to have the Haltech as an option. With the I/O box, I will have the Haltech doing everything I wanted it to do. Traction control with timing and boost, failsafes, two boost settings...(still installing btw - fixing a few other maintenance issues first).

Last edited by rcdash; 10-06-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how does it implement on the fly boost changes now. external switch? thats pretty sweet if thats the case. not having to pull out the laptop to run more boost shoulda been something haltech incorporated from the beginning. ]
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 AM
MR RIZK

rcdash,

i'm still at a loss with the fail safes. For example if I wanted to limit rpm based on fuel pressure how would u set it up. I can see that you can set the input to be fuel pressure which will reference a fuel pressure table but how do you get the ecu to limit rpm if the fuel pressure drops below a certain level?

Last edited by MR RIZK; 10-06-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is the difference between the red haltech and the haltech platinum?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM
str8dum1

just the case
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
rcdash,

i'm still at a loss with the fail safes. For example if I wanted to limit rpm based on fuel pressure how would u set it up. I can see that you can set the input to be fuel pressure which will reference a fuel pressure table but how do you get the ecu to limit rpm if the fuel pressure drops below a certain level?
Having another programmable rev limiter would have been nice. There are three ways I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Use one of the analog inputs for fuel pressure. Use one of the digital outputs as a signal to go to the aux rev limiter to engage it. I have my aux rev limiter set to engage in a number of different conditions using diodes in parallel. I have my aux rev limiter set to 2500 rpms. It can serve as my brake torque launch as well as a failsafe.

2. Use the fuel pressure input as an axis for the cylinder fuel trims to set fuel to -100% when fuel pressure is below a certain point. You would have to be careful of interpolation between cells here to avoid a lean condition but I think it would work fine practically speaking.

3. Use a input and output to throw a relay to cut all power to the injectors if fuel pressure drops below a certain point. You'd have to be careful the car doesn't stall but you could set up a condition that turns the output back on if RPM falls below a certain point.

Is this what you were looking for?

Hal, can I use the DPI as analog inputs somehow. I don't have much use for PWM inputs (like for reading cams) and wouldn't mind have 4 more analog inputs so I can get rid of some of my data logging gear. Just wondering... Thanks! EDIT: I found this http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/2011...-with-arduino/ and it's pretty cheap, but not sure it's worth the trouble (adding a box to get rid of another box). It would give 4 more analog input channels though (converting them from 0-5V into a PWM signal) but the software would be expecting something different, so I suspect it would be a no-go.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by str8dum1
how does it implement on the fly boost changes now. external switch? thats pretty sweet if thats the case. not having to pull out the laptop to run more boost shoulda been something haltech incorporated from the beginning. ]
You can use an analog input and scale the boost from 0 to 100%. Or just use a switch - all on/off for high low I suppose. This is from the Haltech manual (open loop and closed loop):

When using Open Loop Boost control, the wastegate duty cycle can be adjusted with the trim module. With the trim set to minimum, the boost level is restored to standard with the boost solenoid de-activated. As the trim is increased to maximum, the programmed boost from the maps is used to control boost.

When using Closed Loop Boost control, the target boost level is adjusted according to the trim. With the trim set to minimum, the boost target is set to zero boost. Your turbo will then operate off the minimum pressure as defined by the wastegate spring. When set to 100% trim, the boost target will be targeted at 100% of the value programmed in your Target Boost table.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-06-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
binder

map switching and compensation maps would be helpful. I guess the IO box will give compesation maps (can be setup) but multiple maps and map switching would be very nice. In regards to the io box since it has inputs map changes per input (e85 adjustments is what im' wanting) so i don't have to drain the fuel tank and switch maps if i decide to run pumpgas for a long trip.

I get that in theory you can run a compensatino map for that but just doing say 130% fuel if the voltage for the e85 sensor is at a certain level i don't think is an accurate way to do this. Injectors won't be perfect so 130% in one area of the map may be perfect adn it may be lean in another. If it happens to be lean in an area of boost that is bad. I would feel safer having a solid e85 boost tune then pump and there be a way to correlate between them so i know the limits will be safe.

i'm not sure what else is out there but it just seems odd having all these new updates on the others that don't apply to us. I'll have to look through the updates to pick out specific ones that i've wondered about previously.

as far as GUI, this is exactly the reason i haven't switched from the haltech. I like the interface and although there are features of the 128pin proefi i don't think i'll be happy wtih the interface (i downloaded proefi and looked at a base tune). Interface is a huge deal breaker for me since i like to tinker.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
str8dum1

just run closed loop on a VE map. gas AFR ratio is the same as E85 on a gas scale (lambda is lambda).

you just need the haltech to be able to correct 30% or more to maintain the appropriate AFR. Dont even need a content sensor for that. Thats how the newest flex fuel vehicles run
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by str8dum1
just the case
I don't think so.... believe something regarding wideband?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
rcdash

The newer harness has wideband breakouts. That is all. str8dum1 is correct that the internals are supposed to be the same. I have the red box btw.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Fluid1

What am I missing with no wideband breakout?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Fluid1
What am I missing with no wideband breakout?
widebands

you just cut the wires and put your own set in.

Quick Reply: Haltech Update, with CAN Input/Output Expansion Box