Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stock MAF vs Uprev GT MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the resistor would work. The stock Maf would still get maxed out on its side. So if ya were to try and use a resistor between the maf and ECU the maf would be maxed out at the sensor and the ECU would only see 3.5 volts(for example) and that would be the most the ECU would see.

The PMAS and GT are not exactly doubled or cut in half depending on how ya loook at it. ill give a rough idea of the comparison

1-1.5 volts very close
1.5-2 volts GT MAF scaled little higher
2-2.5 volts gt MAF scaled little higher
2.5-3 volts GT MAF scaled considerably more
3-3.5 volts GT MAF scaled considerably more
3.5 volts and above GT mare scaled very high for higher flow applications.

^^^^ that kinda give ya an idea....ill see if i can post some screen shots later after some last minute xmas shopping...
The following users liked this post:
yosip1115 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:49 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks Vince

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
I dont think the resistor would work. The stock Maf would still get maxed out on its side. So if ya were to try and use a resistor between the maf and ECU the maf would be maxed out at the sensor and the ECU would only see 3.5 volts(for example) and that would be the most the ECU would see.

The PMAS and GT are not exactly doubled or cut in half depending on how ya loook at it. ill give a rough idea of the comparison

1-1.5 volts very close

^^^^ that kinda give ya an idea....ill see if i can post some screen shots later after some last minute xmas shopping...
Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 AM
OldManZ350

I've logged to 5.16v, and it is at 4.8v @ 6638rpm and above. ECU has not gone into limp mode after 100+ runs to 7100rpm.... Can you explain?

Also, with my piggyback I'm modifying the MAF Signal by about -1.125v above 10PSI

Originally Posted by djamps
They are both 5V max. The difference is that the aftermarket MAF are reprogrammed or otherwise scaled for higher flow.

For example, the stock MAF maxes out at about 400whp or so (5V) where the PMAS flows around double that before hitting 5V. I don't have hard numbers (since nobody really pushes the limits of Uprev) but I'm pretty sure someone made close to 700whp with a PMAS without maxing it out.

No idea about the flow rate of the Uprev GT MAF...it's pretty new. From what I have heard, it flows similar to the PMAS but has better idle resolution.

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ when u say you are modifying the MAF signal by 1.125...what doe stht mean? Also i have seen MAF voltages hit 5.1 volts and not freak out the ECU but it doesnt mean its a good thing...

What piggyback are you running?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
OldManZ350

Split Second FTC1 Fuel Timing Calibrator, not many people like it.

http://www.splitsec.com/products/datapdfs/ftc1ds~1.pdf
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ doesnt that clamp the MAF voltage??
Old 12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
OldManZ350

Whats the Difference? clamping or modifying...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:43 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Whats the Difference? clamping or modifying...
Modify = subtract

Clamp = limit
Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^ when u say you are modifying the MAF signal by 1.125...what doe stht mean? Also i have seen MAF voltages hit 5.1 volts and not freak out the ECU but it doesnt mean its a good thing...

What piggyback are you running?
My car made 5.08v @6.6psi and the tuner either didn't notice or didn't care. The ECU didn't freak out and if you saw the dyno info, you'd just think the supercharger peaked.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:17 PM
jccalzada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how do you tune or program the maf? i've been having some problems with my supercharged 350z due to the maf sensor....I just bought the PMAS HPX maf however I just installed it and the car doesn't like it...I have an AEM FIC on my car which i use for all the tuning, but this computer just has a maf clamping option... can anyone help me out a little?

thanksl
Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 PM
OldManZ350

Split Second FTC1 Fuel Timing Calibrator can ADD and SUBTRACT Voltage, so It Modifies the Signal.

Modify = subtract

Clamp = limit
Old 12-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
My car made 5.08v @6.6psi and the tuner either didn't notice or didn't care. The ECU didn't freak out and if you saw the dyno info, you'd just think the supercharger peaked.

That sounds about right. If you are hitting that voltage close to redline its probaly not a big deal....but when it happen at 5500 rpm...timing usually goes flat and BSF goes static....so depending on where everything is you might not notice.... but like i said before... its not good...

Originally Posted by jccalzada
So how do you tune or program the maf? i've been having some problems with my supercharged 350z due to the maf sensor....I just bought the PMAS HPX maf however I just installed it and the car doesn't like it...I have an AEM FIC on my car which i use for all the tuning, but this computer just has a maf clamping option... can anyone help me out a little?

thanksl
You are probaly going to have to put the stock maf back in, the FIC clamps the voltage and uses the pressure sensor in the unit to control timing and fuel. You will probaly never get that PMAS running right without a full uprev tune...

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Split Second FTC1 Fuel Timing Calibrator can ADD and SUBTRACT Voltage, so It Modifies the Signal.
So does that give you output voltage or just input? the SS R4 is seeing over 5 volts but it is probaly only letting the ECU see 4.8ish....so you should be good and hence why you have never had a problem...
Old 12-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

That sounds about right. If you are hitting that voltage close to redline its probaly not a big deal....but when it happen at 5500 rpm...timing usually goes flat and BSF goes static....so depending on where everything is you might not notice.... but like i said before... its not good...
That's good to know and it happened around 4800 or so. I bought the GT MAF and it'll be at my house next week. I'm still waiting for the Rotrex to get rebuilt so we'll see.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Rob@Z1
Banned

They are both 5V max. The difference is that the aftermarket MAF are reprogrammed or otherwise scaled for higher flow.

For example, the stock MAF maxes out at about 400whp or so (5V) where the PMAS flows around double that before hitting 5V. I don't have hard numbers (since nobody really pushes the limits of Uprev) but I'm pretty sure someone made close to 700whp with a PMAS without maxing it out.

No idea about the flow rate of the Uprev GT MAF...it's pretty new. From what I have heard, it flows similar to the PMAS but has better idle resolution.
We have made 725rwhp on Osiris +PMAS without maxing it, I don't know the exact voltage at that power level but I remember we said it could go a good bit further. The new Uprev GT MAFs have better idle resolution because they max much lower, supposedly ~600rwhp.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Eno

Correct me if I'm wrong- but looking at that earlier post it actually looks like it's simply scaled differently so that the scaling becomes more aggressive as more air is pushed through. Idle is scaled very little, while the heavier output is scaled a lot...

That made sense to me when I first saw it but is it an output / input restriction of the uprev GT? Or is it progressive (god I hate that word) scaling as you push through the power band?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ its both...if that makes any sense. The PMAS sensor that Z1 one talking about has a higher ceiling and is just like a factory MAF doubled. Where as the new GT MAF has better idle and cruising scaling and the the scaling widens as the airflow gets higher....
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Ngo

Is the Uprev GT MAF or the PMAS scaled around the same voltage as the stock MAF at idle? Wondering if it uses the entire range resolution of a 0-5 Volt scale or if it uses the 1-5 Volts like stock.

Last edited by Ngo; 01-02-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1-1.5 volts very close

Originally Posted by Ngo
Is the Uprev GT MAF or the PMAS scaled around the same voltage as the stock MAF at idle? Wondering if it uses the entire range resolution of a 0-5 Volt scale or if it uses the 1-5 Volts like stock.

read the thread. already covered.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Massairdirect

edit

Last edited by Massairdirect; 01-03-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Massairdirect

Just to clear up any confusion on the PMAS. Here is a link to the actual PMAS HPX NISSAN transfer function tool. Make sure you use the tube I.D. for the tube size, not the O.D. http://www.massairdirect.com/resourc.../HPXNISSAN.xls

I'm supprised this spreadsheet hasn't already been posted. DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH THE FORD HPX SHEET!!!!

The first batch of HPX Nissan sensors had some issues at the low end of the flow range but that was resolved early on.

I'm not sure what people are talking about in reguards to resolution. The A.D.C. in the pcm is always the same. The HPX sensor will show changes as small as 2 KG/HR from .1v to 5V.

If you are looking for more resolution in the pcm you simply need to use more maf data points at the lower end of the maf range and less at the top.
Resolution has nothing to do with the actual MAF output. It has everything to do with the data points you chose to enter into the PCM.

Hopefully this helps

Last edited by Massairdirect; 01-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock MAF vs Uprev GT MAF